What's new

Breaking pu

When taking leaves from a cake, I tend to break off as much as I need, and let the heat of the water break it down into component leaves rather than separate it into individual leaves with my tuo pick. Will I have a nicer tea if I separate into individual leaves?

I think so. Having the tight cubes of tea makes it hard to get a hearty brew sometimes, because you're effectively brewing it with much less leaf. I find it erratic and hard to control the bitterness if I do it that way.

If it's a super-hard tiebing or rock-solid Xiaguan tuocha then don't bother attempting to separate the leaves, as it will just cause damage. If you can do it without tearing them, you'll probably encounter a nicer brew. :)

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

Right, I've had the 8 infusions I want from this tea, and later on I will attempt to take some time out and separate a bit better

wow, from the title of this thread I got the impression the ex-lax worked....

so, let me get this straight, some tea comes in cakes? I probably should keep up in the tea threads more, but I'm afraid of the repurcussions ( -$$$ )
so what's the story with tea cakes?

The other trick you can play with recalcitrant chunks is to let the rinsed leaves sit for a minute or two after you pour the water off and before you add water for your real brew. The steam will help things soften, and then a pour from water on high will often break things up further. Of course, this assumes that you have something that retains heat well like a Yixing pot,etc.

The Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy has this to say about Pu:

HHGTG said:
In fact there are three freely convertible currencies in the Galaxy, but none of them count. The Altarian Dollar has recently collapsed, the Flainian Pobble Bead is only exchangeable for other Flainian Pobble Beads, and the Triganic Pu has its own very special problems. It exchange rate of eight Ningis to one Pu is simple enough, but since Ningi is a triangular rubber coin six thousand eight hundred miles along each side, no one has ever collected enough to own one Pu. Nigis are not negotiable currency, because Galactibanks refuse to deal in fiddling small change. From this basic premise it is very simple to prove that the Galactibanks are also the product of a deranged imagination.

Breaking a pu is a royal pain, what with all that small change.

I think so. Having the tight cubes of tea makes it hard to get a hearty brew sometimes, because you're effectively brewing it with much less leaf. I find it erratic and hard to control the bitterness if I do it that way.

If it's a super-hard tiebing or rock-solid Xiaguan tuocha then don't bother attempting to separate the leaves, as it will just cause damage. If you can do it without tearing them, you'll probably encounter a nicer brew. :)

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

+1 To the extent that the tea cake will pull apart without damage, I separate the leaves. Otherwise, it may be infusion number four or five before the tea starts to show its real character. YMMV and all of that...

Top Bottom