What's new

Newb Checking In.

Hello Everyone,

I am totally new to DE shaving, I stumbled across the site while searching for a more economical way of shaving from the Fusion I use currently. I have done some reading, and I wanted to start out with a Red Tip SS, as my first razor but came across an ebay deal that I could not pass up. I was able to pick up a lot of 3 razors, a Gillette 1969 Three-Piece Tech, Gem Micromatic, and Gillette 1956 Blue Tip Super Speed for $12 shipped. Which razor do you guys recommend I try first? I am planning on pairing the razors with some Red Israeli blades and Col Conk Lime soap from West Coast Shaving. Are there any suggestions that you guys have for a newbie? As I learn more about this new hobby I intend to share my experiences here with the BB community.

Thanks,
Aakash

Aakash, Welcome to B&B, we're glad to have you aboard. Sounds to me like you've made a couple very nice selections to start with. What are you using for a brush?

Advice, go slow, little to know pressure and keep an eye on your blade angle.

Enjoy!!!

Welcome glad you found out little clubhouse...

I know nothing about the blue tip.. the Tech is a good mild shaver. Might be nice to start with. The Micromatic would be my favorite but then again I use almost nothing but the SE razors. I am sure others will cruise through to offer there thoughts... The will very. and all be very good..

Fuzzy

As for a brush, I not yet purchased one. My uncle is coming from India this weekend and I sent him an email to bring along a shaving brush and a variety of soaps. So we'll see what arrives soon. :) I am excited to have everything arrive and get my face wet! I'll post my progress in this thread as my adventure continues.

welcome to the board. i havent tried the same razor you have but i love my super speed, as well as the col conk lime and israeli reds. thats the one id choose personally, but thirdeye is right, take it slow. i did not do this when i tried my ss for the first time, and it was very angry with me.

As for a brush, I not yet purchased one. My uncle is coming from India this weekend and I sent him an email to bring along a shaving brush and a variety of soaps. So we'll see what arrives soon. :) I am excited to have everything arrive and get my face wet! I'll post my progress in this thread as my adventure continues.

Aakash --

Welcome to B&B! Glad to have you join us...

Shaving creams in tubes are common in India, and they have some excellent creams available that are inexpensive, good value, and shave well. So have your uncle bring some of these.

I recommend you do not scrimp on buying a brush. It is the core item in wet-shaving, and well worth a splurge.

-- John Gehman

Point taken, wont skimp on the brush. I was shopping around at different places and trying to find one spot where I could purchase blades, soap, and a brush. Why are the red israelis soooo much more expensive at Lee's than West Coast? Lee's is 5.5x more! I've watched Mantic's videos, but will definately be watching and re-watching them before I start.

The Gillette Tech is a fine starter (and beyond) instrument. I hear many others enjoy the super speed as well.

Welcome to the B&B!

-The Prof

Qty. Item Name Total
1 x Red Pack Israeli DE Blades (100 Blades) $10.00
1 x Col Conk Styptic Pencil $2.25
1 x Col. Conk World's Famous Shaving Soap - Lime $3.00

Just ordered the above from West Coast Shaving, hopefully wont need the styptic pencil too much :bored:

Welcome! Love the lime soaps! Just picked up some KissMyFace Lime Shaving cream. Smells great, but i just wish it was stronger!

Welcome to B&B. A supreme club for DE afficionados and amateurs. At 39 I have just received my first DE safety razor; a 1963 Adjustable Slim. I have ordered Derby Blades, now I need to decide upon brush/soaps/creams. (more reading required). Like yourself, I am also looking forward to DE lifestyle.

I picked up the Tweezerman Badger Brush locally, it seems like the best value. Everything else should be arriving shortly.

I picked up the Tweezerman Badger Brush locally, it seems like the best value. Everything else should be arriving shortly.

Welcome and please let us know your thoughts on the Tweezerman. I've been debating whether to stick to my cheapy boar brush, go with the Tweerman or go for the CE BBB.

Top Bottom