What's new

Best Life mag: The Edge: America's best barbers come clean with their shaving secrets

Advice?

Discuss.

http://www.bestlifeonline.com/cms/publish/style/The-Edge.php

"The master barber Shorty 'The Barber' Maniace oversees New York City's capital of hipsterdom, Freeman's Barbershop..... And try this quirky trick from Grandpa Jasper: Pull a cold terry-cloth towel against the grain of the hair at the end of the shave so that it grabs anything still attached to the face and pulls it away from the skin. Just like the hair on your head, the hair on your face is trainable. So after doing this for a while, the hair will start to grow away from the skin, which makes shaving much easier."

proxy.php
"The master barber As proprietor of the eponymous Aidan Gill for Men, Gill has been in the barber business for nearly 40 years and claims Hunter S. Thompson as a former client. His two New Orleans shops are often touted as the city's finest.
The wisdom "We get a lot of flak because we don't use the straight razor, but the fact is they've actually been banned in many places because of hygiene concerns. Besides, technology today is just better. Are we going to give the Marine Corps muskets? I use Gillette's Mach 3 Turbo. I'm also a big fan of shave oil because it allows for a much closer shave. Mine comes with a special seal, imprinted with the phrase Cosc ar chailini, which means 'It's not for girls' in Gaelic.""​

How can you be a master barber and not use a straight razor? Isn't that kind of like being a martial arts master and using a sledgehammer to break boards? :lol:

Just sad that dolts like this can get into magazine articles, misinforming tons of teens, and sparking what will be a life time of poor shaves for them... :frown2:

The master barber Shorty "The Barber" Maniace oversees New York City's capital of hipsterdom, Freeman's Barbershop. He got his start nearly 20 years ago, working under Grandpa Jasper in Medical Lake, Washington.
The wisdom "After you shave, splash cold water onto your face to shut down the pores and bring down the redness (I actually use an ice cube, because I'm a freak). And try this quirky trick from Grandpa Jasper: Pull a cold terry-cloth towel against the grain of the hair at the end of the shave so that it grabs anything still attached to the face and pulls it away from the skin. Just like the hair on your head, the hair on your face is trainable. So after doing this for a while, the hair will start to grow away from the skin, which makes shaving much easier."

This sounds like BS to me.

Masters of self promotion and hype if you ask me. I am sorry Mac 3s suck! You are full of steer manure if you are telling me that they shave better than a straight. Not going to happen kid! I have been hearing this crap for close to 4 decades and quite frankly they need to be called on it.

Later,
R

Just sad that dolts like this can get into magazine articles, misinforming tons of teens, and sparking what will be a life time of poor shaves for them... :frown2:
actually, Bet Life is marketed toward older gents

How can you be a master barber and not use a straight razor? Isn't that kind of like being a martial arts master and using a sledgehammer to break boards? :lol:

not really, you see a sledgehammer would actually make the job easier and more efficient...and would actually defeat the purpose of even being a martial artist (your intended image) - would be closer to a master using a forearm strike instead of a more efficient ridgehand or knifehand strike (sorry, felt like being a little nit-picky :biggrin1:

actually, Bet Life is marketed toward older gents

not really, you see a sledgehammer would actually make the job easier and more efficient...and would actually defeat the purpose of even being a martial artist (your intended image) - would be closer to a master using a forearm strike instead of a more efficient ridgehand or knifehand strike (sorry, felt like being a little nit-picky :biggrin1:

I did not know this, never even heard of the magazine. If that's the case, who in the world is going to believe these guys?

Geez, one barber says the Mach 3 is his choice and the world crumbles.

In my opinion the Mach 3 is a great shaver and so is the Fusion.

But what do I know, I've only been shaving for 20 years.

Sorry, but not everyone bows to the single blade is god theory of razors. I enjoy it as a special treat on occasion but it is not my preferred method of shaving every day. Knocking someone because a cartridge razor is their personal choice for quality shaves is a bad as knocking you for your personal choice, and I'd venture a guess that quite a few of you loved your catridge razor, just not the cost of replacement blades.

I really don't believe one way is superior to the other. I can get BBS in 1-2 passes with a Sensor, Mach 3 or Fusion on my face AND my head with no irritation, while it takes some 3 or 4 passes with a single edge (I have yet to get 100% BBS on my face and head with a single edge razor).

I can appreciate the process, methods and 'me time' associated with the traditional wet shaving methods but not the superiority complex some posses with it. It would just be nice if we could just enjoy 'shaving' regardless of what type.

The whole traditional method is intriguing and I really enjoy reading about a lot of the work put into finding the magic potions, perfect procedures, remedies, methodology, mixes, concoctions and rituals associated with it.

If you can get BBS or DFS, then the equipment you are using is fine. Who cares whether it's 1 solid blade, 1 throwaway blade, or multiple blades.-the end result is what matters.

marty

I agree completely htownmmm :cool:

I also understand for some it's not just the end result, but the 'journey' that is what they enjoy (and in some cases, defend) - and I can appreciate that. My 'journey' is just a little shorter, I still enjoy the process and end result very much.

To say that a barber has no clue what they are doing and we cannot learn from them because they use a Mach 3 (for example) is ridiculous in my book however. Another point I'm trying to make is that time is money, and if a barber can get an equal end result in less time I fully understand his choice.

Geez, one barber says the Mach 3 is his choice and the world crumbles.

In my opinion the Mach 3 is a great shaver and so is the Fusion.

But what do I know, I've only been shaving for 20 years.

Sorry, but not everyone bows to the single blade is god theory of razors. .

It's ok. Everyone here says "YMMV" except when it comes to cartridges. If it's bad for them it's obviously bad and useless to anyone else too..

So all I need to do to rid myself of my cowlick is to pull a cold terrycloth over my head? I think I will try that when I get out of the shower... like I have everyday for the last three decades.:lol:

Obviously, you know better than the barber with 40 years experience.

If those are your thoughts, I hope your lawyer has real court time and not just 10 years experience of rolling over and settling out of court.

A barber with 40 years experience of giving shaves with a P.O.S. disposable razor is like a chef giving you a Big Mac at a high end restaurant. It is NOT what you expected.

If you can get BBS or DFS, then the equipment you are using is fine. Who cares whether it's 1 solid blade, 1 throwaway blade, or multiple blades.-the end result is what matters.

marty

If I go in to Emerils and he serves me some fast food, should I be angry? The end result is the same, I'm full.

There used to be a thing called standards, what happened to them? :confused:

My hair stylist uses a flowbee, my florist sells silk flowers and my barber uses a mach 3 on me. If you pay for things like this, good for you. I will not.

They could have done a better job on the article...
The magazine is geared towards older men 30+ & over...

Let's poke a little fun at the article here is my take....

And try this Kinky maneuver from Jonathan in El Paso,Texas.

With 150 years of shaving experience Jonathan is the owner and sole proprietor of Men's products in Australia... splash your face with a vodka tonic then I grab your roommates monkey and have it lick your face to remove the hairs away from the skin. Just like the hair on your head, the monkey is trainable.

:biggrin:

Top Bottom