What's new

The Alum Block of Horrors

I kind of overdid it this morning going stubble hunting on my neck with my new Fatboy (thanks joselastra!), so I did the Thayer's and Nivea Balm thing and it felt better. After getting out of the shower (I shave first), my neck looked almost normal but still kind of splotchy. So, I thought I would try the Alum Block I got with the Fatboy.

Holy mother of razors that hurt. I left to go to work looking like someone had just tried to strangle me; red and blotchy all around the front of my neck. Ow. It is still tender.

I can still hear the Alum Block breathing, locked away in the sandwich baggie behind the Old Spice. Rot in hell, Alum Block.

I know what you mean Michael. I do like to use an alum block, but not when I go stubble hunting like you did and have an aggressive shave. I've learned that valuable lesson.

Alum does provide dramatic feedback on the quality of your shave. Yes, I can sting like hell, but it has nothing on a styptic pencil. Regardless, I fully believe that it helps alleviate razor burn and is ultimately beneficial. If you keep it in the freezer, it won't sting as badly or as long. Just be sure to keep it moving on your face!

I usually only use the alum block as my anti perspirant. It works great for that and never seems to get low, compared to the other stuff.

No disrespect meant, but I've never understood the alum block use after a shave. And the OP is plenty of proof of that! :smile:

For the occasional nick, I'll use a styptic pencil. But why would one rub an alum block over their freshly-shorn face?

Otherwise, a good splash of aftershave is plenty.

But why would one rub an alum block over their freshly-shorn face?
Otherwise, a good splash of aftershave is plenty.

The sting of the alum is a signal of where to improve your technique. When the sting is gone and the face is smooth you win!!

After-shave on the other hand for me is absolute murder. A good splash of AS and you can put me on the tractor 'cause my neck is bright red.

I use the ole allum block everyday. Yes it stings a bit but that's just the germs burning away, as my grandmother would have said. Last weekend I discovered witch-hazel which works even better and doesn't sting. I don't know, it kind of feels less clean when it doesn't sting :001_huh:

I'm prone to weepers on a somewhat frequent basis, and rubbing an alum block on problem areas is much nicer, and more economical way to seal up weepers or small nicks. I would still need styptic for a full blown cut, but I usually don't need to go to that extreme for months at a time.

you want to know something that stings? ... use some of that liquid bandage stuff on a papercut ... made me dance around for a few min thats for sure ...

i have yet to use an alum block ... i do have a styptic that i have used about twice .. (knocks on wood) ... and it does have a nice tingle to it ....

I'm prone to weepers on a somewhat frequent basis, and rubbing an alum block on problem areas is much nicer, and more economical way to seal up weepers or small nicks. I would still need styptic for a full blown cut, but I usually don't need to go to that extreme for months at a time.

Just started using alum block this week.
Love it!
Basically use it for weepers and nicks. Much nicer and less painful than a styptic pencil.

Heck, it only cost me $2 at the Indian store.

David

Are you fair skinned?
Do you have rosacea?
are you of celtic or germanic backround?
If your answered yes to any of these then a alum block may not be for you!

you want to know something that stings? ... use some of that liquid bandage stuff on a papercut ... made me dance around for a few min thats for sure ...

I've found for serious cuts regular super glue works, faster, last longer, and stings less. It just doesn't have anti-septic so I splash with alcohol first

Are you fair skinned?
Do you have rosacea?
are you of celtic or germanic backround?
If your answered yes to any of these then a alum block may not be for you!

Somewhat.
No.
Yes/Yes
I've been thinking about the alum block. What is the with it under these conditions?

Alum is also nice in that it really helps to tighten up the skin. For me, it can make my shave feel a lot smoother. But yes, I also made a similar mistake the other day, trying to go ATG with a feather, and then applying alum... ow.

If an alum block hurts, that tells you that you shaved too aggressively. You shouldn't let it rot in hell, you should use its feedback to refine your technique.

Top Bottom