What's new

Glycerine question

So, I've been advocating the use of 100% glycerine as an every-pass pre-shave since Dr. Moss announced his discovery, and frequently I am warned about how very drying glycerine is, and don't I have to be careful.

I note on the bottle of 100% glycerine that I have: "Suggested usage: NOW Vegetable Glycerine is a USP and food grade, all-natural product derived from vegetable oil. Vegetable Glycerine moisturizes and cleanses skin, has emollient (softening) and lubricating properties. ... For soft, moisturized skin, simply massage a few drops of NOW Vegetable Glycerine on desiered areas as needed."

So what's the story? Why am I continually told how very drying glycerine is? Any ideas?

Michael --

I have no clue where this comes from. I've used it directly on my face, but prefer to put about 4 drops into the bottom of my lather bowl, add the regular amount of cream and whip it up. The glycerine seems to retard lather development a little bit, so it takes a little extra effort to build the lather but in the end it works fine. YMMV.

BTW, I don't notice any difference in shaving really, but my face is smooth and soft.

-- John Gehman

I just obtained a small bottle of 100% glycerin from the local drug store. I will try it with tomorrow's shave and report back.

Rafael

From what I've read Glycerin is hydroscopic(absorbs water). I would imagine that given correct conditions that it would tend to pull water out of the air thus making your skin feel moisturized. On the other hand I suppose it's possible that in very dry air it would tend to pull moisture out of your skin.

That said I use about 4 drops in the bottom of my lather bowl every morning and it sure makes the lather much slicker. YMMV

I generally use a glycerine based soap to wash before shaving. I leave that on my face and then lather with a shaving soap.

Rick

I already bought some glycerine from Walgreens(?) a week ago but haven't had a chance to use it.

I just read this thread and went to the NOW website NOW!

Here's the glycerine NOW product page on their site:
http://www.nowfoods.com/?action=itemdetail&item_id=3277

I went to the store locator and put in my zipcode. Great. They sell it at a christian health food store that is about 400 yards away. Even odder, it never occured to me to go to that store looking for shaving creams. Now that I think of it they prolly don't have any good shaving creams. They don't wear jewerly or nuttin.

Wonder how long I'll be able to go without buying NOW glycerine. 14 hours?

sidenote: I picked up some Tom's of Maine shaving cream today at Clarks.

av8or234 said:
From what I've read Glycerin is hydroscopic(absorbs water). I would imagine that given correct conditions that it would tend to pull water out of the air thus making your skin feel moisturized. On the other hand I suppose it's possible that in very dry air it would tend to pull moisture out of your skin.
That said I use about 4 drops in the bottom of my lather bowl every morning and it sure makes the lather much slicker. YMMV

This could account for my recent experience with using GFT limes skin food prior to applying lather. Somehow I have the impression that my lather (especially from GFT coconut cream) dries faster on my face than without the SF. With soaps it does seem to lubricate things a bit more.

I just shaved using glycerin. I must say it was very slick. I used T&H Trafalgar which to me is not very lubricating. First pass I added 3 drops to the bowl, and lather up. As I was applying the lather I noticed a little difference, somewhat slicker for that cream. Second pass, I dipped my finger in the cap of the bottle and applied glycerin directly to my face. then I applied the lather for the second pass. Now I noticed a huge difference. The blade just glided effortless. I thouhgt the blade did not cut any hair but when I rinsed the razor there were plenty of stubbles going down the drain. From every angle the razor just "skated" over my face. I should mention that the amount applied directly to my face was just a thin layer and not gobbles much like you would if you were using pre-shave products.

After completing the shave, I sprayed witch hazel(I put in a little spray bottle works great) and no ASB. Another BBS and the skin is very smooth. This is just my experience using glycerin and it may not be the same for everyone.

In my conclusion, it did help when I used a less lubricating shaving cream. Tomorrow I will used it in combination with a lubricating cream and will post results.

Rafael

The bottle of NOW glycerine I got was fairly large (a pint, I believe), so when The Wife went into a hair-products shop with me tagging along, I bought (for $1) a little 4-oz clear plastic bottle with a lift-up squirter. I filled that from the large bottle and put the large bottle under the cabinet. It's good for me to find small containers, since the bathroom countertop is getting crowded (shaving soap, shaving cream, aftershave, etc.).

My g/f has a spray bottle that sprays real fine mist. I asked her where she got it and she said bed, bath and beyond. I've been meaning to pick some of those up for a few months now.

Don't know how well it would work for glyserine, but I'm hooked on the fine mist thing.

This morning I shaved with Tom's of Maine Mint and a couple of drops of glycerin. Very slick indeed in my opinion. I used my Fat Boy w/Derby, I just can't get a close shave with the Derby. I get a much closer shave with my Israeli's. By 4pm I feel a lot of stubble with the Derby, with the Israeli I don't feel stubble until probably 7-8 pm the same day. I have been using them exclusively this week. Maybe I have to dial up my fat Boy to get better performance from the Derby but really dont want to do that, I should not have to.

Rafael

Top Bottom