Thread: 1st Mergress Experience....

Default 1st Mergress Experience....

Not too good....lots of burn and irritation.....

I thought (or maybe I'm just crazy and slightly ocd) I noticed a small lack of uniformity in blade exposure between the two sides of the razor...........Anyone else notice this???

That being said......it's most likely my fault.

I was in kind of a hurry, and I made the following mistakes:

1) putting a feather in the razor.....While I'd successfully shaved with it two days prior....I don't think I've mastered this particular blade yet. Should have gone with a Swede....

2) cranked it up to 2...........I probably should have started at 1 until I get used to the razor

Anyway....the razor is a great-looking tool and seems built like a tank (heavy as hell..........the HD is heavy my a#*!!! This thing is like a lead weight.).
    Last edited by sphiny; 10-13-2008 at 04:01 PM.

Images

I hope tomorrow's shave goes better, because this does not bode well for me!
    (just purchased one on the B/S/T)
    Hunter

The Progress is my favorite razor along with the Fatboy and Eric does some fine tuning along with his knob mod.
    I can't see him letting a defective razor slip by.

I need to look at it some more......but I think my eyes were playing tricks on me........I'm just not used to this razor yet, and when I look down/across/sideways at the razor head, I sometimes think I've got it slightly off-centered. ....so I'm looking at it a little tilted.

It is a beautiful piece of work though.......I don't really get why Merkur ever thought a plastic knob was a good idea.

Images

If you don't like that razor, I would be happy to take it off your hand for...say, 20.00? he he he

I've been wanting to get one for a long time now.
    Art - AACJ at badgerandblade dot com

Help support B&B by becoming a contributor.

"This world would be a much better place if people didnt enjoy being victims so much." - Reggs

"I'm not voting for someone. I'm voting against someone." - rtaylor61

I have the sneaking suspicion that I will give it a few more shakes (probably like 10,000 or so )

Images

I have all the standard type "Starter" razors and now wish I had gotten a progress or a mergress to start off with. My mergress is a wonderful tool and makes shaving an easy task, and actually quite enjoyable at that! I was so enthralled with the wonderful shave that I bought a second progress and modded it with the brass knob currently being offered by Cooncatbob, and it was a great addition to my line-up...so much so that my Chatsworth seems to be getting used less and less...
    Matt

"To all who come to this '[I]Happy Place[/I]', Welcome!"
    --Walt Disney

I shaved with it again today...using 2 as my initial setting for my WTG pass, and then dialing it down to between 1 & 1.5 for my ATG/XTG pass.......the shave was definitely better...

I used a Merkur blade, and although I knew it wouldn't be the best shave (compared to my Swedes).....I just wanted to avoid irritation, and I knew the Merk would probably accomplish this goal.

For some reason, the increased blade exposure when dialed up feels so strange (naturally, I guess...but it is a bit awkward at first) against my face........so it will take some getting used to. When dialed down to 1/1.5, the razor feels more like my Classic, just heavier.....