What's new

A New Pocket Knife

I've carried a 3rd generation Spyderco Serrated Delica for the last few years. It's a good knife, but I'm looking for something with a traditional edge or a combo edge.

I need a knife that's thin, preferably very thin. I would like a versatile utility knife for daily carry and one that last. I'm not looking to spent much more than the cost of a Spyderco. I'm also open to getting another Spyderco, but I don't know if I should look at the New Delica's or another model.

Any and all suggestions welcome.

Thanks!

If you want to go cheap I'd suggest a Byrd. They're quite good and the price is excellent. Otherwise...why not another Spydie...especially since you already like them and have some experience with them.

There's plenty of models..

Those Kershaw Scallions, Leeks or Chives are very nice, relatively inexpensive pocket knives. I like plain edges myself and carry a Benchmade Griptllian. It is probably a bit thicker/longer than what you are looking for, but it fits fine in the watch pocket of a pair of jeans which is where I carry it.

This is the second thread on pocket knifes in two days, it looks like we need a sub forum for this.:w00t: Tim, i know you said pocket knife but i would advice you to look into this

[youtube]qdm0b4rcu38[/youtube]

It's more or less the size of a AA battery and serves me very well in the corporate jungle.

I have carried a Victorinox Cadet Alox since I quit doing field surveys several years ago. At that time I always carried a Spartan or a Tinker. The Cadet has the tools I use most, the aluminum casing doesn't show wear, it's light in weight and doesn't take up much space in my pocket. I don't leave home without it.

The Alox runs in the mid-$20 range. The plastic coated versions can be as little as $15.

This is the second thread on pocket knifes in two days, it looks like we need a sub forum for this.:w00t: Tim, i know you said pocket knife but i would advice you to look into this

It's more or less the size of a AA battery and serves me very well in the corporate jungle.

I have one of these, a present from a friend. It is the constant resident of my brief case. Having a working pair of scissors in the office is worth its weight in gold.

I fear that if my shaving collection approaches my pocket knife collection the wife will not be pleased.... That said. I really like the kershaw knives. Great weight, durable, nice one handed openings and relatively cheap. Also s o g and benchmade make sweet blades. But my kershaws seem to always find a way into my pocket....

Cheers.

-db

I use a Byrd Pelican for heavier duy stuff round the farm basically a cheap option spyderco its a combi edge and has held up great so far. The other one i use is a Gerber Ripstop combi edge cost me less than £10.00 and is a fab little pocket knife no quality issues with either of these and they both get plenty of use.

I also have a Leatherman Squirt (P4)

I realize there are some that hate Cold Steel but I had a Recon 1 Tanto and really liked it. I got it from Amazon. I opened an Amazon credit card account (used only once) and got $30 off the knife. I think I ended spending under $40 for this really nice knife. It is a little on the large side though. However, size is relative.

Good luck with your choice and let us know what you ended up with and why. Since I lost mine (or had it stolen) I am in the market for one myself.

I saw the Recon 1 at the Knob Creek Machine Gun shoot this past weekend and I almost purchased it. I just hate spending money again for the same knife.

Mini-griptillian would be a good choice as well as a Leek. Spyderco has a lot of smaller knives than the Delica that would be great choices too.

OldSaw

The wife's investment

[youtube]qdm0b4rcu38[/youtube]

I've had one of these in my pocket since my step daughter gave me one a few years ago. Sometimes I wish I had the pliers model instead, but it is pretty tough.

What's the deal with the Speed Assist thing on the Kershaws?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUnD3kCghOM (YT: Knife Mechanism : How Kershaws Speed Safe Works)

EDIT: And speaking of pocket knives, I have to add that the Axis lock on the Benchmades absolutely rocks. The guy that did the video above also has videos showing various locks and how they work. I am not a huge fan of liner locks or frame locks, but the Axis lock works either for right or left hand and the tension can be adjusted on the pivot to make it easier or more resistant to closing. It is a brilliant design.

Top Bottom