What's new

Straight shavers in the Bay Area?

Rughi turned me on to DE shaving only recently, yet I'm considering going straight to straight (or a little of both). Long ago, my brother passed along a Dovo Pakkawood to me, that needs to be shave ready. So, I'm wondering if there is anyone in the Bay Area, or any retail shaving place, barber, etc. that could hone my razor and even have all necessary materials for sale.

There is a quality Japanese cutlery place within walking distance. Knives, woodworking, and gardening tools are their specialty. I suppose I'd have to ask if they honed razors. My gut feeling was only to trust someone with straight razor experience.

I've been trying to watch the videos, read the starter threads. I feel a bit overwhelmed and was hoping to find some local, personal guidance--shave and razor maintenance-wise.

Any suggestions or local correspondence would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Lear

I was surprised to get nothing, except your response, to my inquiry. It's the San Francisco bay area, BTW.

Nonetheless, I am thinking I'll go my own way with this one--honing, and such. I've sharpened my Japanese vegetable knife for years. I know its different, but at least I have experience with a whetstone.

-Lear

I'm in the bay area as well - mountain view to be specific - and haven't found any local places that do honing, or sell the goods for it. All my acquisitions have been on the internet, except for a couple things from the art of shaving store in the city.

I'd point you to straight razor place - there's tons of good honing info over there.

I'm in the bay. If there was enough interest - and someone set it up, i'd be game to break out a bunch of hones and teach some of you fellas.

I'm in the bay. If there was enough interest - and someone set it up, i'd be game to break out a bunch of hones and teach some of you fellas.

Now that's what I'm tawkin' 'bout! (Sorry, that's my South Jersey coming out.)

Sounds good. Let's see what happens.

I live in the North Bay, and count me in if you ever get together for a honing session! My straight razor is pretty dull and I'm in the process of trying to find a good place to hone it for me until I can get around to getting a paddle strop so I can maintain it a bit better.

Joel,

It sounds like we've got three shavers on board. How many would you like to make a go of it?

Bacchus,

Do you mean us Bay area folk or your Canadian brethren?

I live just south of San Francisco, and would definitely show up (work and such allowing...:001_smile) I picked up some stones, but haven't got the "stones" to give it a go yet...

I would love to go to this if it works out. Would be great if Joel was able to give some stropping tips as well.

I'm in if I can make it. Right now, I have Wens-Fri off, and work regular hours the other days.

Of course, I realize that my schedule is probably the opposite of everyone else. I don't want to scuttle this opportunity for everyone, so if I can't make it, I'll understand.

C'mon people! Don't let Joel's gracious offer go to waste! What an opportunity to expand our knowledge. What a chance to learn how to touch up our own blades, to feel the satisfaction of shaving with a razor we have honed ourselves. What an embodiment of the self-sufficient spirit that made our nation great! We can get together 10 people. You'd do it for Randolph Scott. :a11:

(PS: No self-interest here at all...)

Not sure how this works (getting a tally), but count me in as the first in line.

Cheech, you number two?

Anyone active on the other forum to get more bodies?

Top Bottom