What's new

Banana Republic Suits

Gents,
I've been a loyal consumer of Banana Republic for the past 10 years. I had atleast 3 of their suits in 42 Regular. Almost a month ago I got an email stating that they were having a 1 day sale for their 30 year anniversary with a 30% off. I ordered several suits in 42 Regular. When I got them I realized that they weren't made in Italy like my previous suits but rather in Turkey. No problem, I have nothing agaist the Turks. Upon trying them, I relaized that my sleeves were longer by about 1-3 inches. I sent them back for an even exchange and the same thing. I will have to ship them back. Has this happened to anyone?

Gents,
I've been a loyal consumer of Banana Republic for the past 10 years. I had atleast 3 of their suits in 42 Regular. Almost a month ago I got an email stating that they were having a 1 day sale for their 30 year anniversary with a 30% off. I ordered several suits in 42 Regular. When I got them I realized that they weren't made in Italy like my previous suits but rather in Turkey. No problem, I have nothing agaist the Turks. Upon trying them, I relaized that my sleeves were longer by about 1-3 inches. I sent them back for an even exchange and the same thing. I will have to ship them back. Has this happened to anyone?

The same thing has happened to me before with with Gap.com... just go to your local Banana Republic store at the mall and return your items there that way you save on shipping the items back... :biggrin:

Luckily they have free shipping to and from, so I can just print the label and drop it off at the UPS. Plus the nearest Banana Republic is an hour away.

At least they have free shipping in both directions....

I do like a good amount of banana republic clothes, but I do find that you have to watch out there... They seem to have a very fine line between looking good, and looking gay (not that there's anything wrong with that).

But their more formal clothes do look quite nice, and tend to be worth the cost. Personally I'd rather have a tailored suit, but I've had good results in the past at banana republic. With the way that our economy is headed, expect to see more things that have always been made in USA, being shifted overseas. It isn't bush's fault, it isn't any one person's fault.... it is just the fact the the dollar is going down the tubes. We may see more products not made as well as they used to be, but they'll be made for the same price overseas.

Ok so I just dropped them off at the UPS. I have a feeling that this will tarnish the brand, as I am sure I am not the only one who was affected by this. It's just not acceptable for this company to have this flaw in their suits. So anyone know where I can get a good Italian suit?

A lot of Banana stuff comes with free alterations. Everything my wife puts on her BR card has free alterations. I find it surprising that you are buying decent suits off the rack and expect them to fit perfectly. Take the suits they give you, call them up and see if there is an alterations place you can take it locally at their cost.
J.

A lot of Banana stuff comes with free alterations. Everything my wife puts on her BR card has free alterations. I find it surprising that you are buying decent suits off the rack and expect them to fit perfectly. Take the suits they give you, call them up and see if there is an alterations place you can take it locally at their cost.
J.

Right when I read this, I thought I made a mistake. So I called up one BR and the young lady picked who up the phone said, that they do alterations for the sleeves of the jacket. So then I thought to myself, damn I am idiot. Few minutes later, I thought let me call up another store. This time the young lady said no we don't do alterations on the jacket. So I asked if it was just her store or all BR stores, and she said none of the BRs do alterations on the jacket. So I called up another BR store and the young lady there said that they do alterations on the jacket, I asked her to double check, then she came back on the phone and said no we don't do alterations on the jacket. I have never had this done, but I don't want to spend the extra $$ on it. I have a feeling that it's not as simple as altering your pant length.

I have a feeling that it's not as simple as altering your pant length.

You're right...the main issue here is where to cut the sleeves? A professional tailor will cut near the shoulders adjusting all the tissue to fit all things on proper place...hard job be sure!!

The easiest and lazy way...let's cut near the wrists...if you like monk type sleeves it's the way!!!

Gents, as I was searching the internet for a good deal on a decent suit, I stumbled upon the Macy's website. They had a big sale and I bought 2 CK suits for $260 each and 2 Alfanis for $200 each, with free shipping. They just arrived today, the fabric and the cut is excellent. And unlike the BR suits I don't need any altering for the sleeves.

You're right...the main issue here is where to cut the sleeves? A professional tailor will cut near the shoulders adjusting all the tissue to fit all things on proper place...hard job be sure!!

The easiest and lazy way...let's cut near the wrists...if you like monk type sleeves it's the way!!!

Any good off the rack suit is made so that the sleeves can be shortened by about 2" at the cuff and still be presentable. The last time I checked, that cost about $20 at any shop that does alterations. I daresay that if you went to an actual Banana Republic, or any decent men's wear store, the person who served you would be authorized to include alterations in order to close a sale; I was when I sold men's wear.

Best Regards

Graham

Well, call any Banana and ask them about the sleeves on the jacket. They don't alter them. I have spent a lot at BR, so I have their LUXE card which gives me free alterations on pants as well as free shipping. They didn't need to "close the sale" because I have a couple of their suits already. I wear a 42 R and just ordered them on the internet and they fit fine without any alterations. So when I purchased a couple of new suits I assumed, it would be the same fit. Yes you are right, I could have gone to a tailor for that and spen $23 per suit. But I shouldn't have to, they should have a standard lenght for a 42R jacket, and these were longer.

MasterP

When I sold menswear the charge for finishing pantleg and sleeve on a suit purchased from us was $20, and that was pretty standard throughout the industry. We had discretion to lower that or waive it altogether, but the custom was to charge for alterations.

I am astounded that anyone selling off-the-rack suits would be unable to alter a jacket sleeve. Having standard lengths in jacket sleeves is like having standard lengths in trouser legs; it just isn't going to work for everybody, because even people of the same general height and weight can have different sleeve and inseam lengths. If you found a manufacturer who made a sleeve that fitted you without alteration you were lucky. Evidently either the manufacturers changed their pattern or Banana Republic has a new manufacturer. If Banana Republic is unwilling or unable to alter your suits at a fair price, take your business elsewhere - it's their loss.

Best Regards

Graham

Yes their manufacturer changed, my previous suits were made in Italy, the new ones are made in Turkey. But every other suit that I tried on, even the new CK and Alfanis that I bought from Macy's don't have that problem with the sleeves. They may vary by a few milimeters, but not by 1.5-3 inches.
Yes I did take my business elsewhere.

Any good off the rack suit is made so that the sleeves can be shortened by about 2" at the cuff and still be presentable.

Further to Graham's post, please note that the standard overarm measurement for a size 42 OTR suit is 48"-49".

If you found a manufacturer who made a sleeve that fitted you without alteration you were lucky.

I concur. Rare is the person who has the exact proportions to be able to buy an OTR suit without having to do some alteration. In fact, my tailor informs me that it is fairly common for most people to have shoulders that are not aligned and sleeve lengths that are a bit different.

The new manufactuer just has a different standard then the old one. Most tailors should be able to fix sleeve lenghts without much of a problem. Should only be about 20 dollars per suit. I think Banana Republic does not have in-house tailors so everything gets sent out to a tailor shop.

Top Bottom