What's new

How exactly strong are scented shaving soaps?

Just about to put in a order but I was wondering with these soaps are they just a temporary scent while you shave or is it on you for the whole day?

It depends on the soap. Some are fleeting and some linger. Usually rinsing your face after shaving removes any scent. I somtimes find that some soap gets on the collar of my T-shirt while shaving and I can get a faint smell of it all day long.

As a rule, I find that the scent of my soap isn't noticeable once I've used AS and/or cologne.

I will tend to layer scents or make sure they're at least somewhat compatable, but that's just my OCD at work.

In general, it's safe to say that the scent of shaving soaps is designed to enhance the shaving experience and not act as a personal fragrance. By itself, it won't be around for too long.

As with everything, it varies. Some soaps lose their scent when lathered and other can linger on your skin for a good while after the shave.

Like everyone else had mentioned, it just depends. I can shave with some and as soon as I rinse my face with water, it's gone. However, my QED Vetiver, I can still catch whiffs of in the afternoon.

In general, it's safe to say that the scent of shaving soaps is designed to enhance the shaving experience and not act as a personal fragrance. By itself, it won't be around for too long.

I think this is a great explanation. A couple of exceptions for me include Tabac and Ogallala BR.

One thing that I have tried to look into is how soap loses its scent with time and exposure. This is why we (ShavingEssentials.Net) keep everything bagged and boxed until we ship.

This is a great topic of discussion that I could really get into. But I will not bore anyone unless prompted.

One thing that I have tried to look into is how soap loses its scent with time and exposure. This is why we (ShavingEssentials.Net) keep everything bagged and boxed until we ship.

This would be an excellent shaving nerd topic. For example: I can hypothesize that milling soaps to fit into compact containers, as has been described in a sticky, can lead to a loss of fragrance through the (temporary) massive increase in surface area.

The immediate problem is how to measure scent outside of the laboratory.

Col. Conk Almond smells really strong in my soap bowl. Lather it up and the smell's all but gone. It definitely will not interfere with a cologne's scent.

Hey John. Crissman. I've got Tabac on the way... you say the smell of it lingers??

Hey John. Crissman. I've got Tabac on the way... you say the smell of it lingers??

It does for me, but it is very subtle and I enjoy it. I can wash it down when I an cleaning up, but I don't. Truth be told, I do think that my aftershave enhances it.

You should be fine either way. I am very interested in knowing what you think whe it arrives.

This may sound kind of odd. The scent of Tabac lingers in my brush, but seems to fade quickly on my face. Maybe I just get used to it. I'll have ask my wife.

-Clarke

This would be an excellent shaving nerd topic. For example: I can hypothesize that milling soaps to fit into compact containers, as has been described in a sticky, can lead to a loss of fragrance through the (temporary) massive increase in surface area.

The immediate problem is how to measure scent outside of the laboratory.

I think it would greatly diminish the scent. but I believe that scent has a pretty quick half-life once it is made. This is why I would like for the triple milled soap pucks to be shrink-wrapped - to lock in the scent.

I like soaps that don't linger. I find some of the soapers are heavy handed with their fragrance oils. I let my cologne make my scent statement.

This is a great topic of discussion that I could really get into. But I will not bore anyone unless prompted.

Consider yourself prompted. It's always good to learn from vendors.

One thing that I have learned about scent in soaps is that the scent can be an indicator of how well I rinsed at the end of the shave. If the scent is still there, then I might need to rinse more. I've experience reduced drying effects that way with some soaps, such as Williams.

Top Bottom