What's new

I dont like sharp blade,I dont like blunt blade!!! Plz advise which blade?

Hi,Every time I shave its not the same as last time.I have found that with derby blade my 2nd ~ 3rd shave is great, not so much 1st and 4th.WHY?

How can I always get the same shave as my 2nd and 3rd shave with derby.I dont like new blades as it cuts my upper lip on AGT pass.And well no body likes blunt.

What can I do to make my blades just perfect for every shave?Plz give me suggestions.I don't like derby very much as well it gives me very inconsistent shave.Feathers are too costly for me right now?Cant afford sample pack:frown:

Plz advise one blades which I can buy which give me very good shave I dont mind 2 to 3 shave per blades and is not very costly.

Vivroy

My Setup:

Razor: Merkur Futur
Blade: Derby
Shaving Cream: Proraso,The Real Shaving Co. and New Nivea for men
Shaving Soap: Williams and Proraso
After Shave: Aqua Velva
Brush: Omega(Wooden Handle with long bristle(I think its boar))

You never read about "corking" yet?! :confused:

Hmmm, interesting... it's talked about pretty regularly. Just seach on 'cork' or 'corking' and I'm sure this will meet your needs.

This more common than you think. I typically find most first shaves from a blade are not the best for me.
If you want to stick with Derby, you can try corking the blade - before using a fresh blade, lightly running the blade through an old cork, or i've read a piece of polystyrene also works. This slightly dulls the blade, this making you start at the "second shave" point.

Without corking, IP's give me the most consistant shaves, with the first three shaves all being good. Shave four typically sucks for me, so the blade gets ditched.

This more common than you think. I typically find most first shaves from a blade are not the best for me.
If you want to stick with Derby, you can try corking the blade - before using a fresh blade, lightly running the blade through an old cork, or i've read a piece of polystyrene also works. This slightly dulls the blade, this making you start at the "second shave" point.

Without corking, IP's give me the most consistant shaves, with the first three shaves all being good. Shave four typically sucks for me, so the blade gets ditched.

which IP the one in white box or red pack?

Vivroy

Same thing here. I just got done with a red IP and all three shaves were very consistent. Very forgiving too might I add.

The aging and wear of a razor blade is a very dynamic process. The blade edge starts to change from your first swipe with the razor till the moment you toss it out.

If you haven't done so I would try a blade sampler pack from one of the vendors that offers this. You may find that a different blade brand will be more consistent for you over a longer number of shaves. I would recommend westcoastshaving.com for a blade sampler pack.

Plz advise one blades which I can buy which give me very good shave I dont mind 2 to 3 shave per blades and is not very costly.

For an every-day go-to blade, I like those made by American Safety Razor ... you can find these under the house-brands at most supermarkets and drugstores. At Walmart, they are called "Personna Red."

They are a good middle-of-the-road blade as far as sharpness and durability goes. I change mine for every shave, but you can go 3 shaves with it if you have to.

They are very inexpensive, too. At Walmart, they get $1.54 a pack for them, other stores will charge anywhere from $3 to $5 for the same thing under their own label.

Be aware, though, that they are sometimes hard to find. If you do find someplace that has them, stock up and get as many as you can afford at the time, because the next time you go back to that same store, they are likely to be sold out.

Just a very quick suggestion. You might want to cork your Derby blade to get to where you are on your second shave. Please, search the forum and you will find the thread which lot f people discussed about corking. It helped me to get a decent shave with my awful vijay blades and I hope that it helps you as well.

You might want to try different creams and soaps too. Using a more lubricating product for the 1st and 4th shaves may help.

I haven't used any of the creams or soaps you list, so i don't know how they are, but among the products on my shelf there are some pretty significant differences.

With such a variety of blades out there, why buy one that is too sharp and try to dull it with cork? I tried Derby, then threw the pack away for the same reason. I like Merkurs, and I like Dorcos. Smooth, comfortable shaves from the get-go. I suggest you get a sampler pack of a dozen or so different blades and look for the one that gives you the best shave. We don't all have identical whiskers and identical skin. No reason we have to all use the same blades.

I like sharper (Feather!), but have experimented enough to see noticeable smoothness in a couple of my earlier choices. Merkur (which is ridiculously expensive and more durable) and Dorco (cheep). The Dorco only lasts a couple of shaves, but for me is extremely comfortable. Third shave leaves behind too much roughness for my taste, but you might be able to get more out of them.

Bear in mind the Futur is notoriously unforgiving. I'd dial down to 1.5 for the first shave with a Derby. I didn't find them ridiculously sharp. Certainly not sharp enough to be a problem. If you have a Tech handy, I'd try a fresh Derby in it and see the difference.

Top Bottom