• 8-Ball

• 9-Ball

• Straight

• Carom

• Snooker

• Other

• All of the above

Results are only viewable after voting.
I would hardly consider myself an aficionado, but I am a big fan of 9-ball. I like it because you can play it by yourself, or with others.

When we have 3 people, we often play a game we call "cutthroat." Basically, each person has 1/3 of the balls assigned to them, and they try to sink the other players' balls. Lots of fun for an odd number of people.

Poker pool can be fun too.

I would hardly consider myself an aficionado, but I am a big fan of 9-ball. I like it because you can play it by yourself, or with others.

When we have 3 people, we often play a game we call "cutthroat." Basically, each person has 1/3 of the balls assigned to them, and they try to sink the other players' balls. Lots of fun for an odd number of people.

You would probably like "Kelly" pool or "Golf" also.

proxy.php

Andy Capp

Ah yes, obliged mate.

Love cuttthroat. I have been playing a bit more 9 ball lately, but also 8 ball. All that said I am not very good!

I like to play, even have a table at home. Unfortunately I don't get to play that often. The table is unfortunately the right size to sort and fold laundry between games

I haven't played in a while—my roommate from last year and his girlfriend started playing in the billiards club here at U of M, and that sort of spelled the end of friendly, non-competitive pool.

But when I do play, I'm a fan of 9-ball.

I love shooting straight pool, which we call "rotation" here, or in local German vernacular "shmeer":p Even so, I've probably still shot more 8 ball, very few people like straight pool. But I'll shoot pretty much any game anyone wants otherwise, I never refuse an offer of billiards:) A buddy and I tried to work out once how we could afford the cheapest Brunswick table that still had a real slate, about $800 at that time, and just where we thought we were going to put it, but we never solved either problem, unfortunately:) I guess, 'gives a guy a reason to go to town...:p

Oh yeah, cutthroat! Haven't played that in a long time:) I'm not sure whether that's best played with close friends, or complete enemies:) LOL It IS fun, though.

Snooker..Everything else is kids play.

I like games that I actually have a chance at doing semi-well in :biggrin:

I do like my table though, it is a regular sized table with snooker pockets (smaller with rounded corners), and snooker sized balls. Makes playing in the bar a breeze.

I remember once being at some pool hall where they actually had one of those carom tables with no pockets on it and some guy showed us the rules. We tried playing it but I just can't understand how anyone but the most skilled players can get anything out of it. For average players in 3 rail carom it takes probably 10 missed shots for every one that you make. Not fun for the casual player.

I prefer to play 9 ball

9-ball for me. I like the quicker pace... and 8 ball has too many bloody house rules :confused: Everyone seems to play by their own rules!

I used to play a lot of 8 ball growing up.. that and cutthroat. However, I now lean towards 9-ball. I find it takes more finesse and strategy then the whole if nothing else works hit 'em hard philosophy of 8 ball.

I used to play a lot of 8 ball growing up.. that and cutthroat. However, I now lean towards 9-ball. I find it takes more finesse and strategy then the whole if nothing else works hit 'em hard philosophy of 8 ball.

That's funny. In my local APA league it's the 9-ball players who whack 'em and pray. The 8-ball players have the finesse.
I played APA 9-ball for a bit and just couldn't stand the bar-banger style. So now I play 8-ball, which when played correctly is more like chess -- set 'em up and then run 'em out.

LetheAren said:
9-ball for me. I like the quicker pace... and 8 ball has too many bloody house rules Everyone seems to play by their own rules!
You should always agree to league rules before starting the game. House rules almost always favor non-standard play. APA or BCA rules are usually accepted in most good pool halls. (But maybe not in that Biker bar down the street :rolleyes: )

You should always agree to league rules before starting the game. House rules almost always favor non-standard play. APA or BCA rules are usually accepted in most good pool halls. (But maybe not in that Biker bar down the street :rolleyes: )

Yeah. You tell the dude in his Harley leathers that in tournament play sinking the 8 on a break does not win him the game... :a13:

I'll sit back and enjoy the show with my Manhattan :biggrin:

Top Bottom