What's new

What is the Oldest Razor in Your Collection?

So, in a direct response to on of the questions posted on one of my resent threads regarding my latest score;

What is the oldest razor (type & date) you have in you collection?

Pictures are more than welcome always...we love pictures around here.

Come on folks, show off your pride and joy!

I have a 1908 Gillette Pocket Edition - one of the gold ones. No photos of it yet, though.

I've shaved with it and like the shave. A little too gentle for regular use, though. It was pretty cool shaving with something 100 years old.

There's one Gillette I have that has no safety bar and no combs (not cut off or otherwise removed, either). That defies dating. But with no safety bar and no combs, it makes me wonder if it wasn't some really early edition. Or some manufacturing defect that was never meant to be allowed in the wild. :w00t:

I have a 1908 Gillette Pocket Edition - one of the gold ones. No photos of it yet, though.

I've shaved with it and like the shave. A little too gentle for regular use, though. It was pretty cool shaving with something 100 years old.

There's one Gillette I have that has no safety bar and no combs (not cut off or otherwise removed, either). That defies dating. But with no safety bar and no combs, it makes me wonder if it wasn't some really early edition. Or some manufacturing defect that was never meant to be allowed in the wild. :w00t:

We need pictures.....I'd personally like to see the second one, no bar or comb?..:eek:

Okey dokey.

I'll snap some pics at home tonight.

Yep, no bar or comb. And you can see the finish on the edges of the base plate, so I'm pretty sure neither the teeth nor the safety bar would have been sawed off or removed.

Also the edges are smooth and the head and base fit together perfectly. It's a 3-piece. And with a blade in it, it's looks, um, unsafe? :eek:

Email to me: photos for Ray. :)

Rodgers Cast Steel. Probably late 1700s
proxy.php

C.V. Heljstrad 5/8 Full Hollow, out of Eskilstuna, Sweden.

Fellow on another board dated it to around 1870-1890. It's also my favorite razor.

Have a John Engstrom comming which may or may not be from the late 1800's too. Based on the pictures the seller gave me, it looks to be either a late 1890's or an early 1900 model.

Man, i love straight razors.

I have a Merkur 1904.... :lol: This is a good question, I haven't really thought about it... I would have to look.

Have you shaved with one? If so, I would vote that they count. But only if you can accurately date the shell. Hmmm... I have some fossilized shark teeth that might work in a pinch...

I actually had a funny thought on that last night, thought about making a cast for a brush handle, making it with that clear acrylic stuff, with a shark tooth in it...I might actually do that, the funny part was my wife suggesting getting a Meg tooth to shave with.....it's tempting actually :biggrin:, just so I can say "honey, you TOLD me to buy the Meg tooth!"

Oldest DE is a Gillette 1909 old type single ring --shaves well, too. I have a couple of Straights in excellent condition that likely are from the late 19th century.

-- John Gehman

The oldest razor I have is a Ranger Tech and I love how it shaves great razor. I have been looking for an old Pocket edition though.

One of these is the oldest.. either the Gold Fat handle Tech ( that I am going to sell soon) or the Gem pat 1912.

I can't date them exactly like some folks can, but it's a couple of Kampfe Brothers Stars with patent dates of 1900-1902 and some Gem's of about the same age. And then, of course, there's the flint chips that we used back when I started shaving. :001_rolle

Regards,
Tom

Top Bottom