What's new

troubleshooting my lather:

So I get killer lathers from all sorts of creams, right... Proraso, Speick, AoS, etc...

And I bought 2x4 packs for Kiss my face (one set of Patchouli and one Lavender) based partly on price but also on killer reviews here on B+B.

So trying them out went like this:
1 squirt of cream on fairly dry brush, whip+add water, KABLAM, tons of lather. TONS of it. Stiff peaks, etc. It looks awesome, lathering up faster and thicker than any cream I've used before - but here's the thing: it didn't lube my face at ALL. Not even a little. I tried Patchouli first, and the the lavender on my next shave. No difference.

So what's, in general, the deal with that? Great looking, consistent lather... but no lubrication at all. Do I need more or less water? Should I just skip the brush with KMF? Any thoughts?

I'd say MORE water. Now, your lather might LOOK too thin at first, but keep going, it will eventually stiffen a little, then you should have some nice, slick, lubricating lather. At least, that's been my experience with KMF. Start with plenty of water, but work it longer. See if that makes a difference.

-Mason

I personally only superlather with KMF. I don't really care for it solo, but KMF does have its fans.

I'd say MORE water. Now, your lather might LOOK too thin at first, but keep going, it will eventually stiffen a little, then you should have some nice, slick, lubricating lather. At least, that's been my experience with KMF. Start with plenty of water, but work it longer. See if that makes a difference.

-Mason

I get quite the opposite results. As this is brushless cream I use very little water and more cream than normal. It doesn't give me a "big" lather but I do get an incredibly slick lather. Remember, slickness is the important thing. The size of the lather in a brushless cream is a factor of how much air you whip into it. Kind of like whipped cream. Air doesn't lubricate.

Try it both ways and see which one works best for you. Happy shaving!

I get quite the opposite results. As this is brushless cream I use very little water and more cream than normal. It doesn't give me a "big" lather but I do get an incredibly slick lather. Remember, slickness is the important thing. The size of the lather in a brushless cream is a factor of how much air you whip into it. Kind of like whipped cream. Air doesn't lubricate.

Try it both ways and see which one works best for you. Happy shaving!

I'm thinking I'll try brushless tonight and see what happens. I'll say this regardless - it's my first lavender cream, and I am in love with the scent. Thinking very much of picking up another lavender. maybe AoS or something similar. Is there a single cream that's considered the best flavor of lavender?

Lack of slickness usually means lack of water so try adding more. I get good results from KMF Lime. One pump and a few tsps. of water whipped up w/ a damp brush. I also use it in superlather to good effect. Personally I have no interest in shaving w/ any brushless product so cannot comment on that.

Top Bottom