What's new

Spyderco

I have been looking at Spyderco knives, I really like the Delica 4. But I do not know anything about the FRN scales these knives have. My other 2 knives benchmade and emerson both have G-10 which I like. The Delica can be had with green G-10, but the price tag is slightly more. So any thoughts the FRN scales?

I have been looking at Spyderco knives, I really like the Delica 4. But I do not know anything about the FRN scales these knives have. My other 2 knives benchmade and emerson both have G-10 which I like. The Delica can be had with green G-10, but the price tag is slightly more. So any thoughts the FRN scales?

I like the FRN because it's a bit easier on the hand/palm than G-10 (IMO), the G-10 seems rougher/harsher to me.

Best of luck.

J

I have owned a spyderco knife for twelve years. I have the FRN scales. They are actually better than the G10 in my opinion. Less slick (I am a sailor) so when the knife is wet, the FRN scales are more grippy than the stainless. Also stainless makes the knife heavier and not in a good way IMHO.

I would like to chime in and say that spyderco knives are amazing. I've been carrying delicas and enduras for years now, including years working at a marina, and I have one that has saved my life at least once.

A bit of an off-topic chime-in -- I heartily recommend the 5.11 Tactical brand knives designed by Tarani. Specifically, I'm a huge fan of the 10-8 -- it's a basic knife that serves very well.

My priorities:
Light
Slim
Sturdy
Good grip
Good blade
Smooth opening motion

The 10-8 has served me very well on patrol and has literally cut two good friends out of a burning car when their seatbelts unexplicably became jammed. It does everything I need it to do and doesn't get in the way. I like the tanto blade simply because the flat tip allows me to scrape things (powdery substances, reg tabs, etc.).

Just my opinion!

I love my Delica and it's nice and strong. I'd carry it more if I wasn't MORE in love with my Benchmade Mini-Griptillian. :D

I think the FRN handle is great. It has an amazing grip - it won't slip out of your hands, even when wet. While I haven't held a blade with a G-10 handle, I have held a number of knives with different grips. It is my opinion that the FRN grip on the Delica 4 is one of the best and most ergonomic handles on a folding pocket knife.

The G10 comes in a flatgrind blade, making it a better slicer at the expense of durability (you shouldn't be prying with a pocket knife anyways)
FRN is great. Never known of anyone to break a FRN handle, though some people think its cheezy feeling

My suggestion would be to get the Delica with the ZDP189 steel blade. Wickedly sharp, as all Spydercos, but harder than the standard VG10 steel.

I also like FRN as I agree that G10 seems rougher to me.

For looks, nothing beats Micarta IMHO.

Top Bottom