What's new

Safety razor vs. straight razor question

I posted this earlier, but in the wrong place, so I think they took it out. Anyways, I want to know the difference between a straight razor and a safety razor blade. From what I read, straight razors are supposed to give you a closer shave than a safety razor can, but ultimately is it not just a blade moving across your face? I've even seen some straight razors with insertable razor blades. Can you be more aggressive with a straight, or do people use them just for sentimental reasons?

Thanks in advance,
AL

It's like the difference between taking a taxi, driving an automatic, and driving a manual transmission. I'm sure there are better analogies, but from a functional standpoint, it's more about control and risk than anything else. Of course there's the nostalgia / aesthetics of it as well.

If you go with the Electric Razor, the machine does all the work for you.. there's very little skill involved.. you just tell it where to go. Little risk..

If you go with a Mach 3 / Fusion / etc type of razor.. it's a bit more interactive, but the machine is still doing the job of the multiple passes and maintaining proper blade angle. A bit riskier..

The DE gives you more control of the angle and pressure while the Straight gives you ultimate control, feedback, and ability to harm.. In the immortal words of Spider-Man (or his Uncle).. "With great power, comes great responsibility.."

Try it.. it'll change your life. Well.. your morning at least.
-\Visdom

Top Bottom