What's new

New to a French Press

Gentlemen,
I would like to know how to properly use a French press for coffee. Are there any tips, tricks, or special nuances when brewing this way? Any and all input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Rick

easy, grind your coffee course, immediately add grounds to press, fill with just below boiling water (~190) stir a few times, and let sit for 3 minutes. Press and and enjoy

Another forum I visit has a coffee guru. Works at a major commercial coffee machine company, has done a lot of training on what it is that makes coffee enjoyable. These are his recommendations for using a French press:

Full immersion brewing is truly the ultimate. For those of you that want to take the next step, look up Vacuum Brewers.

Typically, grinds are a bit larger than drip (to reduce the particulates that end up in your cup), and typical times are 3-4 minutes.

As soon as the time is up, get it all out of the Press, otherwise the remaining portion is still brewing.

Also, another trick, as soon as you pour the water in, stir it (spoon, or whatever), then just prior to plunging, stir it again.

Also, use good water, as your coffee is actually >98% water.

Careful with the water temp, you want between 200-204 usually. Not boiling! Basically, after the water hits a boil (microwave or stove), remove it from heat for 15-20 seconds. That is usually about right (wild guess there, but unless you have a thermometer that reads up there..)

Try some light roast coffees, you will start to see more flavors.
Coffee have more compounds than wines, so there is more to taste, but dark-roasts (like well-done meat) lose most of them.

He also strongly suggests using a high quality burr grinder.

Only one thing to add: use a burr grinder, rather than a blade one. Even particle size helps tremendously, and blade-ground beans have a lot of fine dust in the mix that will get past the filter screen of your press and end up as sediment in your cup. Of course, some folks LIKE that . . . :001_huh:

NANP™

I sort of recall reading some info on using one at a site I think was called coffeegeek or something similar.

I keep one in college, I got bored of the bad/expensive coffee.

I also have my stuff to make tea :)

Anyway, since the water must be below boiling point, when I hear the whistle I pull the plug and THEN put the coffee in the French press, so the water is ok when I'm done.

I usually let it between 5 and 10 minutes because I'm in college and am not only looking for the good taste, I want caffeine too.

and I drink it BLACK, always.

I like the French Press, it makes really good coffee, you don't need a lot of stuff and it's way faster than the percolator type "espresso" machine. I still prefer the real espresso machine like my parents have, but when I leave for 4 months for an internship, the french press is way more easy to move.

I just learned that you English speaking people were calling this a French Press... interresting.

I'll second the burr grinder, I have both types and the burr grinder is infinitely superior and both grind and convenience. Completely worth the $60.

I just learned that you English speaking people were calling this a French Press... interresting.

Well, the packaging and instructions that came with my Melior FRENCHPRESS call it that.

From what I have read on the 'Net, the French came up with this brewing method anyway.

Ahh French Press!!

I do mine for about 5min... Coarse grind.

I recently got into home roasting (of raw green coffee beans) and the difference between store-bought and home roasted as far as flavor and freshness goes is tremendous.

I got about six pounds of beans from Sweet Marias and a Fresh Roast Plus 8 roaster, burr grinder, and 2.5 pounds of beenz as a combo from Burman Coffee for uhm... $119?

I. LOVE. Coffee.

Well, the packaging and instructions that came with my Melior FRENCHPRESS call it that.

From what I have read on the 'Net, the French came up with this brewing method anyway.

It's interersting because no one who speaks French (at least in Quebec) calls it a French Press.

But we don't use the French in French fries either, so go figure.

(But we sure use it in French Kiss)

I do mine for about 5min... Coarse grind.

I recently got into home roasting (of raw green coffee beans) and the difference between store-bought and home roasted as far as flavor and freshness goes is tremendous.

+2!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's interersting because no one who speaks French (at least in Quebec) calls it a French Press.

But we don't use the French in French fries either, so go figure.

(But we sure use it in French Kiss)

Well, ya.... but in France they say le weekend.

I miss Quebec.

My wife is there right now with our second son visiting family.

i have used a french press for the past 10 years and will not drink coffee from anything else....... I grind my own beans evey morning.... and get into arguments every morning with my wife on the "correct" way to grind the beans.... My way:

Grind the beans for 10(quick) seconds, the grinds should be fine with a few larger grinds. I use a Braun grinder (60g) and fill it to the rim.

I pour boiling water up to the top and then stir the water and grinds together with a long spoon for 30sec.

I let it sit for 3min. (wife lets it sit for 5min)

Then I plunge it down and pour a perfect cup!!!!

Gentlemen,
I would like to know how to properly use a French press for coffee. Are there any tips, tricks, or special nuances when brewing this way? Any and all input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Rick

Scotto's article does mention this in passing (his articles are typically letter-perfect), but I want to emphasize the pre-warming. One thing I found when using French press was that the coffee was not adequately hot. I finally twigged to pre-heating -- filled the bottom quarter or so with boiling water, put in the plunger (fully extended) and waited 15-20 seconds. Then I dumped that water and added the coffee and water off-the boil as prescribed.

- Richard

Scotto's article does mention this in passing (his articles are typically letter-perfect), but I want to emphasize the pre-warming. One thing I found when using French press was that the coffee was not adequately hot. I finally twigged to pre-heating -- filled the bottom quarter or so with boiling water, put in the plunger (fully extended) and waited 15-20 seconds. Then I dumped that water and added the coffee and water off-the boil as prescribed.

- Richard

Speaking of preheating, I always preheat my coffee cup by filling it 2/3 to top with water (don't fill it completely full or you may scold your lips) out of the kettle and let it warm for the entire length of the steep/extraction.
DJ.

Remember, that once you open a package of coffee beans, they will begin to go stale, so you should keep the bag as tightly sealed as you possibly can. Grind only as much as you need for the coffee you are making right now.

Start with filtered water, either a Britta filter, or bottled water. Of course, if the water that comes out of your time is of exceptionally high quality, then you can use that without fear. Preheat the carafe.

1. Heat the water to just off the boil, 205°is perfect.
2. Use 6 ounces of water for every two level tablespoons of coffee. I measure out the whole beans and then grind them. By the way, one coffee measure is the equivalent of two tablespoons. Had I thought of it, I would have included a coffee measure with your order, but I'm certain you can improvise, including buying a coffee measure somewhere locally if you're desperate. I never measure out my beans--rather, I weigh them--7 grams for 4.5 ounces of water.
3. The grind should be medium coarse.
4. If you're making the coffee for a 12 ounce mug, (my favorite,) put the ground coffee--two coffee measures, or four level tablespoons, in the bottom of the French Press spot, and add 3 to 4 ounces of hot water. The coffee should begin to foam, (it is releasing CO2, a sign that it is fresh.)
5. Wait 3 minutes.
6. Stir the coffee lightly with a plastic spoon. Don't use a metal utensil or you may crack the glass.
7. Add the rest of the hot water. (you may need to heat it slightly to bring it back up to temperature before adding.)
8. Wait 3 minutes.
9. Push the plunger slowly down, pour the coffee and enjoy. This method will give you the fullest bodied, richest coffee, bringing out all the subtleties and nuances in the beans.

Top Bottom