What's new

Hair Tonic on your facial hair?

I have very curly wiry facial hair. So after my shave this morning while fixing my hair I went ahead and combed some hair tonic in to my goatee let it set for a bit then patted it dry. Just to see what it would do.

I was really suprised. It softened my beard (went from brilo pad to wool), helped it not look so dry, and calmed the hairs that like to stick out at odd angles.

Just wandering if any one else has tried this, and what your thought are.

I used Vitalis (only thing the store had that wasn't pure mineral oil).

Since so many people don't like the smell I asked my wife what she thought. She said, "It doesn't smell like old man, but you don't smell like a young punk either."

I have very curly wiry facial hair. So after my shave this morning while fixing my hair I went ahead and combed some hair tonic in to my goatee let it set for a bit then patted it dry. Just to see what it would do.

I was really suprised. It softened my beard (went from brilo pad to wool), helped it not look so dry, and calmed the hairs that like to stick out at odd angles.

Just wandering if any one else has tried this, and what your thought are.

I tried this about a year or two ago, it was one of my earliest posts. I said the same thing, softens beard, did a good job. Adds a nice sheen too. I used Trumpers Eucris hairdressing.

Huh?!?!

Don't freak out. It's either not much different than aftershave/cologne (Pinaud-type hair tonics), or generally scented mineral oil, neither of which is terribly scary.

And definitely not "extremely poisonous".

Or were you kidding? . . . I'm slow this morning

Jerris Hair Tonic(happens to be the bottle I have now)
Ingredients: Water (good ol' H20), SD alocohol 40B (perfumers alcohol), Glycerin (good in our soap), boric acid (sounds bad), fragerance(smagrance), blue #1 (who wants to be blue), yellow #5 (well we all know what that does to you).

The only ingredient of concern would be the boric acid (which not all tonics have). However the amount of Boric acid needed to be dangerous is quite high. You would have to drink the bottle, and reach for a few more in which case you would be sick from the alcohol first.

Here is the fact sheet from the national pesticide information center.
http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/borictech.pdf
Boric acid is very low to low in toxicity when ingested. The
acute oral LD50 in mice is 3450 mg/kg and for rats ranges
from 2660-5140 mg/kg (2).

This all follows of course that you are using a commercially available tonic and not "Uncle Bubba's Radiator water with cyanide hair straightner" or the "Chinease tonic of youthful vitality and vigor with formaldehyde for the eternally young look."

Many of my hair tonics have the same (or almost the same) ingredients so I don't think it matters much.

Pinaud Clubman has the exact same ingredient list for both products, but the aftershave seems to have a stronger smell than the hair tonic.

Why even contemplate hair tonic on facial hair? It seems rather unnecessary and eccentric to me. I don't put Suave on my pubic hair, Brylcreem on my chest hair, or Nair in my butthole.

Why even contemplate hair tonic on facial hair? It seems rather unnecessary and eccentric to me. I don't put Suave on my pubic hair, Brylcreem on my chest hair, or Nair in my butthole.

I have very coarse dry facial hair but without a goatee I look like the computer programer from Jurasic Park. My wife often comments on how sharp and scratchy my goatee is though she agrees that I look better with it. After noticing how hair tonic helped soften my hair and left it looking healthy I decided to try it on my beard.

While I can not attest to whether you need to shampoo your pubic hair, style your chest hair (though I think it might work if you really wanted that Burt Reynolds look), or practice hair removal around your anus. I was experimenting and was pleasently rewarded by the results.

As to the eccentric part I am guilty as charged and happily so.

ha.

well i know what I'LL be trying tonight....

-db

**HEADLINE NEWS**

"After a random thought permeating the Badger-sphere, local grocery and department stores all around the world suddenly found themselves out of stock for Health and Beauty products - specifically, Suave, Brylcreem, and Nair. Said one local "Same thang happ'nd uh-bowt a munth uhgo, win a yung feller said his woman jump't his bones after usin Tabac"

Word is, this is some sort of unusual multi-national and multi-cultural experiment to, apparently intended for full-body hair styling.

Back to you, John"

**HEADLINE NEWS**

"After a random thought permeating the Badger-sphere, local grocery and department stores all around the world suddenly found themselves out of stock for Health and Beauty products - specifically, Suave, Brylcreem, and Nair. Said one local "Same thang happ'nd uh-bowt a munth uhgo, win a yung feller said his woman jump't his bones after usin Tabac"

Word is, this is some sort of unusual multi-national and multi-cultural experiment to, apparently intended for full-body hair styling.

Back to you, John"

"In a related story, world financial markets experiencing an unexpected upswing in the pharmaceutical sectors. Proctor and Gamble showed record growth today closing at 300 points above average on the Dow. And now we turn to Suzie, with a delightful story about a waterskiing squirrel..."

I wonder if a little vitalis would help my awesome unruly moustache.

I have a moustache that likes to act like cat whiskers. Even if I trim it more stand up and go poking around anything near my face. I found a little Vitalis helped keep them in place and had a nice healthy shine without looking like Jerri-curl wet. Jerris didn't really do anything, guess it is more of a conditioner then a holding agent.

Or if you wanted an awesome curl you could go for full moustache wax.

Top Bottom