What's new

Were multi-pass shaves the norm "back in the day?"

My father used an electric, and I never really saw him shave anyway, so I've been wondering. You never seem to see a start-to-finish DE shave in old movies, but it sure looks like they're just doing one pass. So, is the multipass something NEW? Or has it always been around?

Any vintage materials out there on this?

NANP™

That's a very good question to which i would like to know the answer as well. My guess would be a WTG and an ATG pass for a closer shave but not sure about the ones in between.

In movies I always see them go N-S on the face and S-N on the neck. It got me wondering; thought maybe someone here might have a vintage "guy's grooming manual" or something.

NANP™

Yo pose a very interesting question. I can not be sure but I d remember my dad lathering at least two times. I can for the life of me remember hat passes he did other than picturing him going n/s and s/n. Not knowing his whisker growth pattern I can't say if these where wtg or atg.

I'd like to know the answer to this question as well.

I am pretty sure old timers did one WTG pass a day. All of the old school Gillette Ad's show it this way too, I could be wrong.

Speaking only for my father, when he got me my first Schick injector when I was about 15, 1967, he showed me WTG then ATG and then feel about for missed bits and use ATG on them, whichever way they went!

Gareth

Speaking only for my father, when he got me my first Schick injector when I was about 15, 1967, he showed me WTG then ATG and then feel about for missed bits and use ATG on them, whichever way they went!

Gareth

This is how I was taught by my father, when I started shaving.

great question, maybe some of the experienced barbers who frequent this forum will chime in. I am interested in the answer as well

I'm not sure the Laws of Physics worked the same back then. After all, which ever direction you went ( to school, to home, to town, to the store, etc...) were all uphill, into the wind, and it was always muddy, deep in snow, or 120 degrees. A pistol could rapidly be shot (yeah... 15 times with a six shooter) at the hip without any kickback...

Seriously though... it would be nice to know.

Ok, you wanted to hear from some old timers on how they shaved back in the "olden days" . . . Well, here I am.

I've been shaving for about 56 years. I can only tell you how I shaved, although, having been in the military, I've see other guys shaving and never noticed that they did it much differently. I used to make one pass, N-S for the most part, but this pass involved a lot of short, repeat strokes, and then another, touch-up pass in the areas that still felt rough.

In more recent decades, since blades have been much improved, I seem to have gone to a smoother, longer stroke; I think only because, with modern blades, each stroke is much more comfortable and doesn't need to be repeated so much to do the job of cutting most of the whiskers. My second pass nowadays is pretty much a full re-lathered pass XTG on the face and ATG on the neck,

In the last couple of years I've started to do a third, touch-up pass after all the lather is rinsed off using Thayers alcohol-free toner as the only lubricant. This Thayers pass allows me to achieve BBS, but this certainly isn't anything I practiced in my youth.

I attribute most of my change of technique on the improvement of blades back about 1958. Prior to that time, the sharpness of blades wasn't far removed from using the chips of flint that many people assume I grew up shaving with. :001_rolle With the old blades, I'd use a new one every shave.

Ok, you wanted to hear from some old timers on how they shaved back in the "olden days" . . . Well, here I am.

I've been shaving for about 56 years. I can only tell you how I shaved, although, having been in the military, I've see other guys shaving and never noticed that they did it much differently. I used to make one pass, N-S for the most part, but this pass involved a lot of short, repeat strokes, and then another, touch-up pass in the areas that still felt rough.

In more recent decades, since blades have been much improved, I seem to have gone to a smoother, longer stroke; I think only because, with modern blades, each stroke is much more comfortable and doesn't need to be repeated so much to do the job of cutting most of the whiskers. My second pass nowadays is pretty much a full re-lathered pass XTG on the face and ATG on the neck,

In the last couple of years I've started to do a third, touch-up pass after all the lather is rinsed off using Thayers alcohol-free toner as the only lubricant. This Thayers pass allows me to achieve BBS, but this certainly isn't anything I practiced in my youth.

I attribute most of my change of technique on the improvement of blades back about 1958. Prior to that time, the sharpness of blades wasn't far removed from using the chips of flint that many people assume I grew up shaving with. :001_rolle With the old blades, I'd use a new one every shave.

Thank you Tom, both for your response, and for all of your contributions that have made life great for those of us in the generations that have followed. A sincere heartfelt Thank You!

It got me wondering; thought maybe someone here might have a vintage "guy's grooming manual" or something.

I have "The Barber's Manual" published by the Moler Barber School in 1901. It recommends one pass with the grain followed by a second pass across the grain on the face. It specifically says never to go against the grain under the jaw line because it is torture for men who only shave once or twice a week and, although tolerated by some, will soon lead to irritation and in-grown hairs. The final comment is, "Very few men want a close shave." Based on the number of men who use cartridges instead of a DE or straight, I would say that's probably still true.

Lots of good information. Glad I have never had to use the old blades. Tom as usual comes through with the answer.

SE guys rule:w00t:

Fuzzy

I started shaving in '63 with a Gillette TTO, SuperBlue blades and a can of Rise foam/lather. My dad didn't spend much time or effort with me as I seemed to be doing ok. I recall doing a N-S pass with some XTG strokes interspersed. That is, after I completed the N-S stroke I'd immmediately do the XTG stroke. This combination left stubble and I thought that to clean it up I needed to 'press harder' --which I did.

I carved myself up something terrible, for years. I suspect that this was common, and this was the motivation for me to migrate to the TracII cartridges when they were introduced. I'd come out of the bathroom with my face/throat/neck all covered in little bits of toilet tissue.

So the answer to your question, 'Were multi-pass shaves the norm "back in the day?"' is a qualified -- 'sort-of'. I only did an initial lathering, and then did a N-S pass with some follow-up.

I showed up here over two years ago, and it was the folks here that put me on the true path.

-- JOhn Gehman

Like BroJohn I started shaving in '63. It was my uncle not my dad who taught me the finer points of wet shaving. My dad was a Sunbeam electric guy at that point in time.

My first razor was a '63 Slim. I now have two of them in my med caibnet. Used the Gillette blue blades and Colgate Palmolive canned goo. Then for awhile I used regular shave soap and a cheap boar brush. Got the brush and soap from another uncle who was a barber.

I can never remember lathering more than once. But I did learn to use good old water as a lube on my second or touch up pass. And I used that technique through all the years of wet shaving with the multi-blade pieces of junk too.

Took longer strokes as I remember, and pressure was not even considered. I guess I used a good bit of it. At least when I used the multi blade razors.

So glad that I returned to DE shaving after finding out that my son-in-law had gone the route of using a brush and shave soap with his Fusion. Shaving has become fun again, just like when I was a 14 year old kid. The multi passes, the great scented creams and soaps and of course my vintage Gillettes and GEMs help make it that way.

Top Bottom