What's new

Favorite material and shape for a brush handle?

Understandably, most of the discussion in this forum is focused on the characteristics of end of brushes that are applied to one's face. I thought I would pose a couple of questions about the other end of the brush.

So, here are the questions:

1. What is your favorite material/appearance for a brush handle? For example: faux ivory, faux tortoiseshell, wood, marble, metal, etc...

2. What is your favorite shape for a brush handle? For example: Persian jar, hourglass, round, octagonal, long, short, etc...

Given the rampant SBAD exhibited by so many contributors to B&B threads, I expect that many of us will end-up claiming that we like a variety of shapes and materials in our brush collections.

Cheers,

I can't imagine that any brush manufacturer still uses real ivory. Where would you find a real ivory handled brush these days: eBay or an antique store?

Cheers,

dszpiro said:
I can't imagine that any brush manufacturer still uses real ivory. Where would you find a real ivory handled brush these days: eBay or an antique store?

Cheers,

Danny.....You pretty much answered your own question. There are a few custom brush makers that will make brushes using ivory, providing they have some ivory in their stock inventory. Here's one that's made some ivory brushes for a few forum members:http://tinyurl.com/n9qpk

I would love to own an ivory handled brush. On that basis I like the look of the faux ivory brushes, partuculatly the Kent BK style handle.

1. Any material handle except wood. The finish on my wood handle brush started peeling off (I guess from the moisture) after a couple of weeks use. After spending $125.00 on it, the store would not warrantee it at all. I ended up stripping off all of the finish. Afterwards, I primed it, dipped it in black lacquer and after drying, dipped it in marine varnish. Still looks great after one year though.

2. Persian Jar

I've got a thing for ebony handles (actually faux ebony since the real thing isn't used much), but they do show soap scum, etc. more easily than the faux ivory. I like tortoise shell a lot also.

As for handle style, there are too many good ones to choose from. Just don't make it too small to be uncomfortable.

Top Bottom