What's new

Why are my blades dull by the end of the shave?

Lately the blades I've used, drugstore's chrome platinum, and stainless steel, among others - by the end of the shave, effective they are not. I can understand the aforementioned blades, but my Gillette Swedes? My Feathers? I have the Progress, and by the end of the shave, regardless of the blade, I'm crankin' the dial up to five (5) to shave the last remaining remnants of what was a whisker - to get bbs. Not just once or twice either, over and over again, because it doesn't cut. So, after the shave I tossed the razor blade in the newly anointed blade bank.

The rest of the shave goes fine - without incident.

Why are these blades performing like this?

Thanks.

If it is happening to all blades, I would think it would be a change in technique, soap/cream or perhaps water(less likely).

If it is happening to all blades, I would think it would be a change in technique, soap/cream or perhaps water(less likely).

So why do you think it is happening at the end of the shave?

Is it customary to see a difference between Shave #1 and the Shave #2, (using the same blade,) Would you get better results?

Well, my real hunch is that the lather has changed during the course of the shave. For me, some soaps/creams are always close cutting so I get a closer shave faster. Some soaps/creams I have to spread them out on my face after apply the lather from my brush. In order for the razor to get close enough to cut the final stubble for touch-up (without applying pressure) I need to spread out the lather so I get a closer cut.

All I use are the store brands. I get at least 3 good shaves from them. That is on a consistant basis.

I would have to agree that the problem lies somewhere else.

Fuzzy

You are using an adjustable razor too, and perhaps it could the the change in angle during passes is affecting the cutting edge slightly.

Is it just with the progress? What did you use before? Have you changed more than one variable? Hard to get any ideas with the info sofar. Depending on the brand I usually get 3 good shaves out of a blade, the second one being the best in general.

Is it just with the progress? What did you use before? Have you changed more than one variable? Hard to get any ideas with the info sofar. Depending on the brand I usually get 3 good shaves out of a blade, the second one being the best in general.

This morning I shaved using my HD. The Feather blade did what it was supposed to do - all the way to the end of the shave. I received a few nicks from using the HD instead of the Progress.

Tomorrow I'll try the Progress again, and see how that goes, with the same Feather blade.

I doubt your blades are going dull by the end of their first shave. There must be some other reason you're not able to go BBS. Have you tried putting in a new blade for your last pass to check if it's the blade's level of sharpness that's at fault?

I doubt your blades are going dull by the end of their first shave. There must be some other reason you're not able to go BBS. Have you tried putting in a new blade for your last pass to check if it's the blade's level of sharpness that's at fault?

It's not that I can't get to bbs, but it just seems, by that point, it takes an unusual amount of effort to do so - with the exception of today's shave, when I used the HD/Feather combo. It was the Feather's 2nd shave - if that makes a difference.

Thanks....

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I looked over your posts and don't see if you changed anything else. Are you using the same lathering product as when you have good shaves. One lathering product may soften your whiskers better than another, making them easier to cut.

I know I have experienced this with different lathers. I have even tried changing blades mid shave, but to no avail. When it comes to my final ATG pass, even the sharpest blades will not perform well if my whiskers are not properly softened. Usually it is too late for me to switch lathers when this happens, as it often causes skin irritation. If this is the case, I will usually skip the ATG pass and just wrap it up for the day.

I looked over your posts and don't see if you changed anything else. Are you using the same lathering product as when you have good shaves. One lathering product may soften your whiskers better than another, making them easier to cut.

I know I have experienced this with different lathers. I have even tried changing blades mid shave, but to no avail. When it comes to my final ATG pass, even the sharpest blades will not perform well if my whiskers are not properly softened. Usually it is too late for me to switch lathers when this happens, as it often causes skin irritation. If this is the case, I will usually skip the ATG pass and just wrap it up for the day.

+1 I get better results with good lather and an overused blade than with a fresh one when the lather sucks.

This morning's shave consisted of: a Feather (Day 3) in the Progress, using Pré de Provence, (PdP) which was the same as yesterday's shave.

The Feather stayed sharp throughout the shave. However for reasons unbeknownst to me, the Feather, when used in the Progress, turned my neck as red as did the HD, a razor I always thought was more aggressive than the Progress was.

You didn't think it, (the irritation,) was due to operator error, did you? :lol: But seriously, it's perennial, and on my neck, and began two years ago....

I've adopted a technique that I tried on intuition, and was confirmed in a video on another shaving site.

Using several different blades in a Slim adjustable, the first pass is at a setting of 3, sometimes on a 2-day growth of beard. The second pass is at a 4 setting, third pass at a 5 setting, and sometimes a touch-up at 6.

The more aggressive setting cuts the shorter, more hidden whiskers that wouldn't be cut if the razor were left on the setting from the previous pass. BBS most shaves with minimal irritation.

I've tried this technique with 4 different kinds of blades, and get 4-5 shaves per blade.

Have you tried a second shave with one of the blades, using the same "Progressive setting" technique?

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I've adopted a technique that I tried on intuition, and was confirmed in a video on another shaving site.

Using several different blades in a Slim adjustable, the first pass is at a setting of 3, sometimes on a 2-day growth of beard. The second pass is at a 4 setting, third pass at a 5 setting, and sometimes a touch-up at 6.

The more aggressive setting cuts the shorter, more hidden whiskers that wouldn't be cut if the razor were left on the setting from the previous pass. BBS most shaves with minimal irritation.

I've tried this technique with 4 different kinds of blades, and get 4-5 shaves per blade.

Have you tried a second shave with one of the blades, using the same "Progressive setting" technique?

This sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Reporting my own experience. Different strokes for different folks.

PS: Go Bucks! Oops, they've already gone to Madison, and are back home again.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Reporting my own experience. Different strokes for different folks.

PS: Go Bucks! Oops, they've already gone to Madison, and are back home again.

You may have adapted to an incorrect way to use an adjustable razor, but to recommend it to someone else is setting them up for some really terrible results.

The adjustment does not set the blade at a certain depth, like a lawn mower. It simply opens the angle at which the blade is allowed to touch the skin. The more severe the angle, the greater the chance of scraping into the epidermis and causing razor burn.

I can get a BBS shave with a non adjustable, how do you explain that?

Top Bottom