Coffee Filters

Favorite filter type

• Metalic Screen

• Gold Tone Screen

• Unbleached Paper

• White Paper

• My Teeth - I'm a Barbarian

Results are only viewable after voting.
unbleached paper b/c the permanent filter is a pain to clean. "unbleached" only b/c that's all I can get in the size I need. (#1 size for a black and decker one cup maker that seems indestructible).

I've moved completely to French press for brewed coffee . . . my coffee filters are now used as filter paper whenever I need to filter any liquid other than coffee. *grin*

I have never been that enthusiastic about gold mesh. I prefer the cleaner cup of the unbleached paper.

French Press is just the usual wire screen, though.

gold mesh filter for drip-o-crapic, I mean -matic, only because there wasn't a silver one
standard mesh for french press
standard metal filter for el-cheapo cappuccino maker, and the built-in filters of the Senseo

I don't find cleaner them that tedious honestly, a good spray with hot water, wash them once a week unless more than a day goes by without coffee (HA!)

I have to go with semi-automatic espresso machine! It is the coffee equivilant of a straight razor, lots of tweaking and manual labor to get just the right result, but when it works.... ahhhh bliss.

I thought this was interesting (grain of salt, and all that):

"Good Housekeeping, March 08

Espresso Lane to High Cholesterol
If you have a serious grande-cappuccino habit — and tend to have high cholesterol levels — you may want to switch brews. The oil in coffee beans (both regular and decaf) contains cafestol, a potent cholesterol booster. Paper filters absorb almost all of the compound, but oil drops can pass through metal filters, so espresso, French press coffee, and brews made with a permanent gold filter all contain cafestol (an average of 2 to 2.6 milligrams per 5 ounces of coffee or 1 to 2 ounces of espresso). In studies, consuming 10 milligrams of cafestol daily for four weeks raised people’s cholesterol by a scary 8 to 10 percent. Bottom line: You don’t have to worry if all you drink is a cup or two of coffee for breakfast (even if your “cup” is a large mug). But if you routinely chugalug several big containers of non–paper-filtered java, including French press style, cappuccinos, and lattes, or several cups of espresso, and you’ve been told to watch your cholesterol, switch to a paper drip. Or learn to love tea."

Standard mesh in the french press, standard perforated plates in the moka pot (that I haven't used in FOREVER... I need cappuccino!). Standard paper for the drip-o-matic that I haven't used since I got the press.

+1 French Press; get all of the oils. :eek:

I've been a drip coffee drinker for as long as I can remember, but just recently was introduced to french press, and all I can say is, WOW!

Such a grittier, more full bodied and flavorful cup of coffee.

+1 on the french press, highly recommended to EVERYONE who really appreciates coffee.

Cloth for my vac pots and paper for the drip maker. Someone mentioned using a gold filter for drip because he couldn't get a silver one. I don't think a silver filter would be a good thing because the silver would probably be dissolved over time by the acids in the coffee.:frown:

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Bleached filter made from the oldest and rarest Amazonian rain forest trees. If not available, any heavily bleached filter made from the Sequoia will do.

OK, just kidding. I prefer the gold filter.

Amazonian rain forest or Sequoia paper filters . . . now those could get me to switch back to drip from press! *grin*

Top Bottom