What's new

If I were to get a Vulfix, which one would you recommend?

A store nearby (-mind you it's still a 10 min. walk :rolleyes:-) carries Vulfix brushes. As I feel BAD pulling me to the dark side once more, I wonder which model of Vulfix brush you gents would recommend I get.
I'm looking for a small/medium size, soft but not ultra-floppy. I'm a 70-30% soap/cream user. Thanks for any tips...

The vulfix are perfect for creams, but the one that is recommended for soaps is the 660. Of the smallish brushes.
But...! I dont know if its available outside of leesrazors.:confused:

I have a 2234 in super. It's a tad bit too floppy and lightly packed for my taste and I like brushes on the floppy side. I've used it with creams and soaps with the same results. I don't really understand the argument that you need a stiff brush for soaps.

I have a 2234 in super. It's a tad bit too floppy and lightly packed for my taste and I like brushes on the floppy side. I've used it with creams and soaps with the same results. I don't really understand the argument that you need a stiff brush for soaps.

Cause it's easier to load it with soap if its a little stiffer.:wink:

401 Mayfair. Good medium sized brush. Not floppy. Equally good with creams and soaps.

I got one from a member several months ago and it immediately became my daily brush. For $40 US you cant beat the Mayfair.

Vulfix VS/5 Boar brush.

Surprisingly, boar brushes work great, and for $11 you get some variety and your investment is low.

I have several nice badger brushes (Shavemac, Savile Row, Rooney), but I find myself regularly passing them up for the boar.

Bob

I had a 2234 and it was a decent brush. I would probably stick with one of their pure/best offerings though. I bought one (403 - Mayfailr) for my brother and it seemed to have more backbone than the 2234.

I have the same brush, and I have to mirror every single word Monkeyboy's uttered above.

It is easy to similuate a stiffer brush by gripping the bristles just above the handle and give a light squeeze. Load your brush with soap and let the fun begin.

Yes, I'm doing that too, but why bother gripping it differently if you can just buy a stiffer brush.
But that's just me. I have the 2234 and use it with soaps none the less.

The workhorse of my stable has become the Vulfix 660 pure medium badger that I picked up from Lees Razors. It is especially formulated for soaps but works great with creams, too. Hold a lot of water and quickly makes tons of lather. Got it for $33 with no S&H (if you tell Lee you're a member of B&B). A great go-to brush IMHO. My silver tip super badger lies fallow these days.

The workhorse of my stable has become the Vulfix 660 pure medium badger that I picked up from Lees Razors. It is especially formulated for soaps but works great with creams, too. Hold a lot of water and quickly makes tons of lather. Got it for $33 with no S&H (if you tell Lee you're a member of B&B). A great go-to brush IMHO. My silver tip super badger lies fallow these days.

+1 on vulfix 660 and Lees

401 Mayfair. Good medium sized brush. Not floppy. Equally good with creams and soaps.

I got one from a member several months ago and it immediately became my daily brush. For $40 US you cant beat the Mayfair.

+1

I like the Mayfair quite a bit. I will note that it is not a very dense brush, but it does do a fantastic job at creating good lather.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

In the end I went with the one Rooney brush my vendor had in stock. A 1/2 in super. Cost me quite a bit more than the Vulfixes of comparable size, but in the end I just liked the density and hair grade of the Rooney a lot more...

I did get to 'feel' quite a number of Vulfixes and had a nice conversation with my vendor on them. To me, the pure grade seemed a lot more suited to my needs: it was quite soft and no too flexible in the shaft. Felt almost like the old Simpsons best grade to me. The super grade OTOH was a lot softer in the tips. Sadly the shafts were too flexible for my liking, resulting, I imagine, in a very wet floppy mop when lathering...

So this time it was Rooney. In the future, I certainly could see myself getting a smaller Vulfix pure badger brush.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Which Vulfix brush to get? One with a gold sticker on it, of course ...

Which Vulfix brush to get? One with a gold sticker on it, of course ...

That about sums it up - I haven't owned seen a Vulfix that does it for me.

However, I wouldn't mind getting one of the boar VS/5 - anyone sell these other than classicshaving?

Top Bottom