What's new

Funky and Sour Beer

This thread is for discussion of all shapes and forms of funky/sour beer. Lambics, Flanders, Farmhouse, Sasion, Berliner Weiss, brett/lacto infections etc. What are you favorite kinds?

Unfortunately I've yet to find a good lambic around here. Everything I've tried in Lindeman's line is terrible. Even their Gueuze was WAY too sweet.

Sasion Dupont is a wonderful sasion. As is Hennepin.

I've only begun down what I expect to being a very slippery slope. :eek:

I had a buddy accidently drink a beer that had been open for 6 months. Does that count?

And yes miraculously, my friend is still alive.

grand cru and grotten cave fermented beer were the sourest beers Ive ever had.thay tasted like someone added judicious amounts of malt vinegar to them.:yikes:

If you want to taste a funky kind of beer you should try the German Rauchbier (smokebeer). It tastes like someone dumped the contents of an ashtray in it.

I recently discovered that I really enjoy Oud Beersel Oude Kriek. Great labmic. You'd probably like it, Edcculus. Not sweet.

For funky, I'd have to go with Supplication and Temptation. Hard to get on the east coast though. :frown:

For sour, I definitely enjoy Duchesse De Bourgogne, Monk's Café Flemish Sour Red Ale and Cable Car 08. I really like Flemish red ales. So delicious.

Rodenbach is always nice as well as Duchesse De Bourgogne. But if you truly want the George Clinton Climbing out of the spaceship, haven’t bathed in a week funk, get your hands on some Cantillon.

Personally I wouldn’t put Saisons on that list as I find them more refreshing than gnarly, but since you touched on my favorite style, I compliment you for starting off right with the Dupont. Domestically, North coast's Le Merle and Lost Abbey's Red Barn Ale are worth the trip. A bit rarer, track down anything from Fantome, a lot of there stuff reaches well into the "mind blowing" category.

Duchess de Bourgonge is also one of my favorites. Great Flemish red.

If you're looking for some super funk (like george clinton levels of funk) look for a bottle of Gueze Girardin. By far the funkiest beer I've had to date.

Also, the Petrus oud bruin is quite good for a sour beer as well. I don't like most of their other beers, but the oud is solid.

Dutchess DB is good stuff. Also look around for Rodenbach Grand Cru another one of those quintessential offerings in this style.

These kinds of beers pair really well with food - stinky cheeses and stuff like that. If you don't like sour beer and stinky cheese you still may find that two wrongs do make a right. :smile:

Personally I wouldnt put Saisons on that list as I find them more refreshing than gnarley, but scince you touched on my favorite style, I compliment you for starting off right wiht the Dupont. Domesticly, North coast's Le Merle and Lost Abbey's Red Barn Ale are worth the trip. A bit rareer, track down anything from Fantome, a lot of there stuff reaches well into the "mind blowing" catagory.

Yea, Sasion is streaching it a little, but I was mostly trying to encompass some of the less popular beer styles.

Top Bottom