What's new

What ingredients make something a "fall" or "summer" cologne?

Rather than asking what colognes are good for what seasons, I am more interested in what makes something a fall or winter or summer etc. cologne. I was told that woody things (meaning it has wood ingredients?) are best for fall, and citrus is good for summer. However, it gets confusing with colognes that have both. I assume it's more a matter of what season most of the ingredients is for, but what are those ingredients and corresponding seasons? I know it's kind of a hassle to write all of them, but if someone could give me a general overview or point me in the direction of a good website, it would be very helpful. Thanks!

It is not a matter of ingredients, or more specifically, notes. Colognes nowadays do not have real wood in them.

One of the reasons we separate winter v. summer because some colognes are more appropriate for one season than other.
In cold weather, heavy colognes wear the best because you sweat less and because the air is generally less humid and hot. Heat and humidity enhance and change the smell of the oils in a cologne and some of them can become cloying and overbearing during the hotter months. Also, cold noses are less sensitive to smell.
Some of the lighter, fresher perfumes say close to the skin and you are able to appreciate them better that way. During winter, they become rather insipid and bland.
It also has to do with wearing stuff that is familiar to the season. Flowers, fruits and water during the summer, warm smoky woods, spices and sweets during the winter. In other words, nothing is written in stone and if you enjoy wearing a fragrance all year round it is OK. I wore Ice*Man yesterday and it disappeared in a couple of hours. I wore CdG 2 Man (incense and woods) today and I felt good and the scent was pleasant all day long.

Some florals are good for summer, but Narciso Rodriguez is better suited for winter because the scent can become quite strong. There are other tricky notes like vetiver

Still, I am pretty sure some members can tell you what they like to wear during each season.

For me, a summer scent is clean, light, fresh, and smooth: lavendar, citrus, etc.

Fall/Winter scents are spicey, warm, heavy: pepper, nutmeg, cedar, etc.

But often times, there are crossovers, for example a summer scent with pepper (some of the Penhaligons) or a winter scent with lavendar.

Just as often, one scent works equally in both areas, at both times of the year. IMO, L'Occitane's eua de L'Occitan fits perfectly in this scenario. It is clean and fresh smelling with a lavender base. But it also has pepper, nutmeg, and cedar, which give it a slight spiciness. I use it year-round, and notice its different qualities differently with each season.

I think vetiver is another scent that can go both ways, depending on the style. Guerlain's version, from reviews, seems to be very fresh and light, perfect for spring and summer. L'Occitane's version, which I now own, is very warm and brooding, and I find it fits superbly with the fall seasons (wearing it as I type).

But I think it is all subjective, and as always, YMMV.

Pretty much agree with whats been said; citrus, floral for spring or summer, woods, spice, leather for fall winter. Still room for cross over. I usually won't wear the "summer" fragrances for evening or formal occasions in summer.

To continue the discussion, could nay of the following scnets be used year-round since they contain light, crisp fragrances as well as warmer, woodsy ones?

Penhaglion's Douro, Quercus, English Fern, Hamman Boquet
Hermes Terre de Hermes
Creed GIT
Taylor's Shaving Shop, Mr. Taylor
Flors 89, Elite
Truefitt & Hill 1805, Trafalgar

Or am I pissing into the wind here?

Thanks,

Top Bottom