What's new

The Shavette Disposable Blade Straight Razor. By DOVO.

I wanted to know what everyone thought about this particular razor. It seems to be very similar to something like the Feather Artist Club DX, in that in is a folding, "Straight Razor," that uses disposable blades. The difference seems to be the manufacturer and the style of the razor and blades.

I like the control of a straight razor but I like the interchangeability of DE razors. Maybe you guys could voice your opinion on this razor. Here is a link to a vendor that carries them.

http://www.heimerdingercutlery.com/catalog/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=478

-Weiland

Well, to be honest with you, I think shavette style razors were only designed for the convenience of barbers. They'll leave you yearning for a real straight razor and eventually you'll find them unsatisfying. I'd say skip it and jump on the straight razor wagon right away. Either that or a DE.

Well, to be honest with you, I think shavette style razors were only designed for the convenience of barbers. They'll leave you yearning for a real straight razor and eventually you'll find them unsatisfying. I'd say skip it and jump on the straight razor wagon right away. Either that or a DE.

I've heard this line before, but I have also heard that a good quality shavette type gives an experience very close to that of a conventional straight, and is a good way to determine if one is suited to the straight style or not without spending $$$ on hones and strops which may be a waste if one finds a straight unsuitable for them.

I bought a Feather AC from a B&B member and am just starting to experiment with it. It is exciting and kind of scary, but I will persevere until I determine if I really like it and have the necessary skill. Many use these in place of a conventional straight exclusively and are quite happy with them. Others opt to go for the "real thing". But I think I would like to get the experience first and find out for myself.

So when you say "unsatisfying" for example, I would be curious to know WHY?? Have you used a good shavette style to compare, and what are the main differences? If it's mainly aesthetics and the experience of doing it up traditionally, fine, that is one thing. But if there are major methodological and practical differences, as a "maybe" straight user, I would like to know!

Yes, I have used a shavette style razor in the past (for a couple of weeks), I got 'acceptable' shaves but it was unsatisfying because I missed, like you say, the "aesthetics and the experience of doing it up traditionally".

I tried a shavette because did not want to be bothered with stropping and honing, I stopped using it because it just was not 'the real thing'. I have never used a real str8 though.

As ever, YMMV and if you're happy with a shavette or the Feather AC, I am glad for you.

I added a shavette to my collection some months ago out of curiousity. I also thought it could be good travel razor. The shavette can give a very close shave, however, it can also nick much quicker than a regular straight. It takes a very light hand and close attention. In sum, the shavette could train you to be deft handed straight shaver or turn you off to straight shaving due to blood loss. Buying an inexpensive straight will probably be more satisfying.

I own a Dovo Shavette stainless, and I think it's a great razor, you can get more consistent close shaves than with a straight, you don't have to hone or strop the blades, it's great for traveling and it uses blades you can get a your local Walmart or supermarket.
The shavette is less forgiving than the straight, you have to concentrate on "no pressure" and pay attention to what you're doing.
The Feather AC and blades are a lot more expensive and more dificult to find, you won't find them at your local stores and you'll be depending on Internet vendors.
If you're in for straigh razor shaving as a hobby, you better be ready for a bigger investment and a lot of frustrations.
Like I said, this is only my opinion.

I have the Dovo Shavette Stainless with the Green holder armed with Personna SE blades as per this style.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Personna...905?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item231e9f64f1

I use this as well as DE and SE safety razors and discovered that the stiffer Personna SE blades are more akin to a straight razor. Since using the Personna blades I have not nicked myself once. Using half a DE blade is not as "safe" and more likely to nick oneself.

http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Dovo-Shavette-Green-Blade-Holder_p_433.html No connection.

I bought a Feather AC from a B&B member
If you have the Feather a shavette os going backwards.

The Feather is a fantastic shaver, it is as close ar you can get to a real straight without the honing, stropping hassle (some call it a hassle-I enjoy it)

I started with a shavette.. It shaves and feels very different to a real straight. I wouldntnt recommend using a shavette first, jump straight in!

I bought a Dovo Shavette when I first started trying straight razors - at that time I did not like it. After over a year with straights I tried it again and it was fine. They are not like a regular straight, or even the Feather DX I have, but with good technique they work quite well. The Dovo shavette blades (black insert I think) work quite well and a box of 10 (you break them in half for 20 shavette blades) is only about $13. THe red insert lets you use regular DE blades (split in half).

shavettes have disadvantages against straights.
1- too light
2- unbalanced
3- no sound for feedback
4- not hallowed
5- too short edge
6- collects small portions of lather while shaving
7- unforgiving
8- lack of stropping joy

shavettes have disadvantages against straights.
1- too light
2- unbalanced
3- no sound for feedback
4- not hallowed
5- too short edge
6- collects small portions of lather while shaving
7- unforgiving
8- lack of stropping joy

+1 on Number 8 (not so much on the others for me)

I bought a Parker shavette just to have one. It is in the back of a drawer somewhere. All that was said before is true - but it is still an experience.

I think a Feather AC (or Kai or CJB or whatever) has much better balance and tons more zen. The blades last longer and are much stiffer.

However, your observation about the stiffer Personna blades is interesting. I haven't tried them and would agree that a a bit of stiffness would benefit the shavette concept quite a bit. Thanks for the comment!

Tried the gateway Parker, moved up to the Dovo and finally got hooked on the Feather SS, both folding and Japanese style. Couldn't go back to the Dovo or Parker.

My advice is to buy yourself an actual straight razor and skip the Shavette--unless you have a VERY compelling reason to use one.

An actual straight is sublime, significantly more communicative, and a beautiful thing to master.

I, too, started with a Shavette and regret that I didn't just take the dive into an actual straight from the beginning. As I learned just recently, however, the Shavette is an excellent razor to travel with.

I started with a straight and then the Shavette. I'm currently using a Personna Hairshaper Blade. It's interesting to be able to use myriad of blades just by having 3 different blade holders. There are advantages/disadvantages to both conventional and changeable-straights.

Straight
Advantage
- 1 to 2 passes at least IME yielded BSS sans ATG.
-Straight takes less sweeps over nape area.
-many sizes, grind, finish to choose from in addition to having pleasure of holding feeling different type of scales.

Disadvantage
*Every 6 months or so require upkeep with the hone.
I wouldn't necessarily call this a disadvantage more so a joy with the hobby/lifestyle.
-Stropped incorrectly would roll the edge

Disposeable
Advantage
-Derby perfect for shapeups, detail work around ears and neck area as well as nape. Also much easier to detail goatee. Less likelihood of you nicking/slicing yourself
-Joy of experimenting with different blades due to 3 available blade holders.

Disadvantage
-Blades are much shorter in length unless you acquire the black blade holder for Tondeo blades
*Personna 1 1/2 shorter than conventional and approximately 3/4 shorter in width.
-Very unforgiving. I nicked myself the first few times during learning curve. Doing more than 3 passes yielded razor bump or burn ( sensitive skin ).

i recommend the $15-20 parker or a knock off stainless steel shavette to get the weight, i also found some real cheap real ones on ebay for like $5, who knows what quality but couldnt hurt to try out and review here right? if u do let me know im curious to try one of those now, and btw, i mostly DE but i can't see how one could hone a blade perfectly straight and evenly all the way across to equal one of my platinum astra blades, i have cheap razors so stainless is too rough, but a new edge every week will beat out a honed one anyday, if it wheren't for the cheap workmanship in most shavettes, parkers are pretty nice and cheaper than those plastic tab ones u liked, plus, those will break eventually, these have rivets to keep the blade in place not some cheap paper like vinyl tab

Top Bottom