What's new

Uneven bevel/edge problems

Hi folks:

I am quite new to this and would greatly appreciate some help. I am working with an old Butterfield razor and a Henckles Friodur. Both are giving me the same trouble.

I am noticing that while attempting to establish an initial bevel/edge on these two razors, there is an uneven amount of wear on the edge.

Either the toe or heel will show very little contact, and the middle portion will show a fair bit. So, if you look at the edge, you can see a wider edge in the middle and very little at the toe and heel. As well, while stroking the razor, you can clearly see that these portions are not contacting the stone.

I have been using a Norton 4000/8000 stone and a 12,000 grit Chinese water stone that I have lapped on a 10" DMT 600 grit (I believe) stone (red dot).

How should I handle this?

Either the blade is warped or your not doing even strokes or your hones are not even. The warp issue can be tested by laying the blade on a known flat surface and shining a light behind it. The hone issue can be tested by laying the hone on a flat surface also and looking for areas that have gaps or even eyeballing the hone. If those two issues are resolved that just leaves you as the last factor.

Either the blade is warped or your not doing even strokes or your hones are not even. The warp issue can be tested by laying the blade on a known flat surface and shining a light behind it. The hone issue can be tested by laying the hone on a flat surface also and looking for areas that have gaps or even eyeballing the hone. If those two issues are resolved that just leaves you as the last factor.

Great info. I think I misread the question and assumed that the razors were coming to you warped/uneven.

Top Bottom