What's new

GELS VS CREAMS..which one do you think is better?

Jack Bauer said:
I had tried dozens of different shave gels before I discovered wetshaving. I can say without a doubt creams are much better and that I have not found one shave gel that I enjoyed. The real question is which is better creams or soaps? I am still working on that one.

Chris

That's a fun one to figure out.

Jack Bauer said:
I had tried dozens of different shave gels before I discovered wetshaving. I can say without a doubt creams are much better and that I have not found one shave gel that I enjoyed. The real question is which is better creams or soaps? I am still working on that one.

Chris

Most say soaps give a closer shave while creams give a more comfortable shave. The soap has less cushion to get between the blade and the skin. That is why straight shavers like the soaps better. The cream gives more lubrication but is thicker.

I am quite sure that the source of that information, BJ, is refering to canned cream v. canned gel. I've used both, and can say without the slightest hesitation that the gel is the better of the two. Edge is still crap, however. Barbasol sensitive is considerable better, if you can find it. I actually got pretty decent shaves with that and a Mach 3. Nivea Senstive is better yet.

That said, they don't begin to compare to the creams everyone here is raving about. The ones that do NOT come in a can, come out of their tube/tub as just what they are, a thickish cream, not foam, and have to be lathered with a brush. Actually, there are some brushless ones that, while less fun than brushed ones, are still far superior to things in cans, I find. They are applied by just squirting in your hand and rubbing on wet face. You don't get any foam/lather really with these. Just sort of a slightly lathered coating on the face.

So yes, Gel is better than "Cream." But real cream is better than Gel.

Top Bottom