What's new

Good first straight razor?

So I had this old thread of all my problems:
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=57579

Now I still have these problems, and I isn't suggested to go to a straight razor if you can't master a DE, but I think that a straight will be much better for me as I will be able to shave with my grain a lot more (I have one of the worst grains possible.. including a swirl on my adam's apple).

What is a good first straight razor? The reviews page on B&B only has a few and I don't know which are good for starting. Can you also post a link to a reputable store? Thanks a bunch!

i would suggest reading the interactive thread on straight razor shaving

in the straight razor section of this site; it is very helpful

I just recently switched from cartridges to a mixture of straights and DE shaving.

For the straight, I got a pre-honed 5/8" wapienica for $50, and its been fantastic, its been such a great straight that I bought some of those DOVO white micarta scales to re-scale it.

also is there anything that is of some quality for less than $80? that's about the cheapest I could find from a reputable company.

also is there anything that is of some quality for less than $80? that's about the cheapest I could find from a reputable company.

that is a very nice starter straight razor, and pre-sharpened is the only way to go, that is about the cheapest new pre-honed quality straight give or take a few dollars, you could also check the b/s/t here and on SRP.com for a used straight preferably one that is shave ready but not necessarily a looker they can be found often for 1/2 of what that razor cost

do I want a 4/8,5/8,6/8 or something else?

It's really your preference, but I prefer 6/8 or 7/8 so that I can do a whole half of my face without having to clean it off. I find with 5/8 I generally need to clean it off a little more often, although sometimes I've been able to push it.

everyone on this site is so nice thanks a bunch! I will go with that razor then! Also should I get new shave cream/soap for a straight razor? I am Mr. Taylor's shave gel and then I also have Taylor of old bond st shave soap.

TOBS soap is very good whether used with a DE or straight, you don't need to get anything else, you may want to but that's a sure sign of AD :biggrin:

The "Wapi", or Wapienica straight is a fine razor. It has a modest grind and will shave heavy beards. You can locate one on this forum or maybe TheStraightRazorPlace for under $50 and have someone hone it sharp for you. You can spend $100 plus but you will not get a much better shave and you can easily resell the Wapi for little or no loss. I highly recommend them. Get a good strop too.

I just recently switched from cartridges to a mixture of straights and DE shaving.

For the straight, I got a pre-honed 5/8" wapienica for $50, and its been fantastic, its been such a great straight that I bought some of those DOVO white micarta scales to re-scale it.

What are you doing with the old scales?

I love them... I'd consider buying them if you don't want em.

Can i resurrect this thread and ask what I need to go with this? i.e. what else do I have to buy to hone/strop it? Not really clear on that but I like the look/price of that razor.

Bare minimum, you'll need a strop and some chromium oxide paste and a piece of balsa wood. If you go nuts, you can spend as much as you'd like.

Top Bottom