What's new

Electric razors and EMF

Ok, as a physics student, I feel the need to shed a little light on rumors like this one. We are constantly bombarded by electro-magnetic radiation (EMR). Most of the EMR we are exposed to is completely harmless. Visible light being the prime example (yes, light is a form of radiation). Most of the radiation we are exposed to on a daily basis has a considerably lower energy than visible light. That means that radio waves, microwaves, and infrared light do not contain enough energy to break the bonds in our DNA (cause cancer). In fact, it takes radiation in the upper part of the ultraviolet spectrum to do any damage to the human body. Lesson: the light from your cellphone screen has more energy than the signals it runs on. Result: cellphones cannot cause cancer.

As for electro-magnetic fields (EMF), these do not pose any risk to humans whatsoever. EM fields work on charged particles, and the molecules in the human body are generally neutral. Also, EM fields permeate the entire universe (hence the propagation of light through a vacuum). The Earth itself has a very strong magnetic field, and that doesn't seem to have hurt us thus far. :rolleyes:

SINCE CHILDREN MAY BE MIRE SUSCEPTIBLE
to EM fields, there are special precautions
TO TAKE FUR THEIR SAFETY.

I'm particularly skeptical of "scientific" studies that have such blatant spelling errors. Add to that fact that there are two(ish) citations with no bibliography, and I'm even more skeptical.

I'm going agree with giant on this one. It sounds like urban legends and hearsay to me.

That site is the anti-Snopes. :mad:

A bunch of stuff that's basically a regurgitation of previously dispelled "beliefs".

But if it gets you more shave stuff, go for it! :w00t:

OOPS. looks like I may be just spreading a bunch of rumors and such. I know the wife is into this stuff big time right now. She even made me move our bed so we were not next to the power coming in the house. Now, if I can get her to understand what really is going on here. I have worked in electronics for over twenty years now and have not had anything happen. I told her this but she is sticking to her guns.

OOPS. looks like I may be just spreading a bunch of rumors and such. I know the wife is into this stuff big time right now. She even made me move our bed so we were not next to the power coming in the house. Now, if I can get her to understand what really is going on here. I have worked in electronics for over twenty years now and have not had anything happen. I told her this but she is sticking to her guns.

Move the bed back to where it was and have the Mrs wear a tin foil hat to bed.:wink:

Top Bottom