What's new

Speakeasy Spirit of the Month: October 08 - Ardbeg 10yr Single Malt Scotch Whisky

Welcome to the Badger and Blade Spirit of the Month for October 2008!

This month's selection is Ardbeg Ten Years Old Single Islay Malt Scotch Whisky.

full

Yup, its time to move onto the single malts! We've selected an exceptionally accessible, yet critically acclaimed whisky that will please scotch beginners and seasoned enthusiasts alike. Ardbeg 10 is a relatively easy-to-find single malt, 92 proof (46% ABV), and usually available in the ~$50/bottle range.

[imga=left]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/fd/Scotch_regions.svg/275px-Scotch_regions.svg.png[/imga]Islay Whisky: The scotch newbie might first appreciate the various whisky-producing regions of Scotland, and Islay (pronounced eye-LUH) in particular, when approaching Ardbeg for the first time. Islay malts are especially known for their rich peaty character. The distilleries located on the southern coast of Islay, including Lagavulin, Laphroaig, and Ardbeg are thought by many to produce malts which are more heavily peated than the island's other distilleries. In contrast, whiskys from other regions are often characterized as more spicy, fruity, and/or smoky, and generally exhibit a wider flavor variation from distillery to distillery within the same region than do the Islay malts. (map courtesy Wikipedia)

[imga=right]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/2c/Ardbeg_across_bay_-_Canthusus.JPG/250px-Ardbeg_across_bay_-_Canthusus.JPG[/imga]The Ardbeg Distillery: Ardbeg was founded in 1815 on the shores of Loch Uigeadail. Production was halted in 1981, and resumed sporadically in 1989 until its purchase by Glenmorangie in 1997. Ardbeg 10 boasts its selection as 2008's "World's Best Whisky" as proclaimed by Jim Murray's "Whisky Bible." Ardbeg produces many bottlings, and scotch enthusiasts familiar with the standard 10 year offering are definitely encouraged to discuss their favorite Ardbeg variety here as well. (pic courtesy Wikipedia)

Ardbeg 10: Ardbeg 10 is non-chill-filtered, a characteristic shared by most whiskys bottled a ≥46% ABV. For the curious, chill filtering is a process by which the whisky is cooled down to 0 degrees and passed through a fine metal filter. This removes some fatty acids and associated proteins. Although most agree these removed components do impart flavor to the whisky, chill-filtering is thought to produce the benefit of a less cloudy, more consistent bottling.

The bottle insert describes the taste of Ardbeg 10:
Nose: Exceptional balance and depth. At full strength the aroma is a beguiling mix of toffee and chocolate sweetness, cinnamon spice and medicinal phenols. Fresh citrus and floral notes of white whine are evident as are melon, pear drops, general creaminess, fresh phenolic aroma of seaspray (iodine) and smoked fish. Hickory and coffee emerge later as the most volatile top notes fade.

Taste: An initial moderate and clean sweetness is rapidly followed by a mouthful of deep peat notes, with tobacco smoke and strong espresso coffee, which then gives way to treacle sweetness and liquorice. The moth feel is firstly lightly spiced (astringent), then chewing, mouthwatering, full and finally dry.

Finish: Long and smoky. A smoky sweetness is left on the palate, with a crushed peat and sweet malted cereal character.
Suggested cocktails: Are you kidding?!? :shocked:

Use this thread to discuss your tasting notes for Ardbeg 10, other Ardbeg bottlings, comparisons with other single malts, meal or cigar pairings, etc.

Thanks everyone for participating and CHEERS!! :001_smile

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, this has been on my list to try for quite a while. I set out of last month's Spirit of the Month, so I guess I have to go pick this one up.

Another top notch write-up Pat. Ardbeg has always been one of my favorites. As good as Laphroaig is, I like this one much better. :cool:

Another top notch write-up Pat. Ardbeg has always been one of my favorites. As good as Laphroaig is, I like this one much better. :cool:

I'll admit I jumped the gun and cracked open my bottle last night. I quite like the Lagavulin 16 and the Laphroaig 15, and was somewhat curious and concerned how a 10yr old from the same area would compare. Needless to say I was pleasantly surprised -- I guess age isn't everything!

I'll write up my tasting notes in a few days after I've had a couple more drams.

Arg...wrestling with this one. Iodin and liquorice are not my cup of tea. But I want to play along for another month!

Arg...wrestling with this one. Iodin and liquorice are not my cup of tea. But I want to play along for another month!

Both seem extremely subtle to me. Some of these things I can't quite pick out yet, but if I hadn't read the bottle insert, I wouldn't have thought of either one.

Just my $.02.

IMO, Ardbeg isn't nearly as medicinal as Laphroaig. Have you had that one? I find Ardbeg to much more pure smoke than anything else. Frankly, I don't agree with Ardbeg's description of their tasting notes. I find these more accurate and accessible:

Malt Advocate

Whisky Magazine

Both of these are from an older bottling, but I've still found them to be pretty close.

Both seem extremely subtle to me. Some of these things I can't quite pick out yet, but if I hadn't read the bottle insert, I wouldn't have thought of either one.

Just my $.02.

IMO, Ardbeg isn't nearly as medicinal as Laphroaig. Have you had that one? I find Ardbeg to much more pure smoke than anything else. Frankly, I don't agree with Ardbeg's description of their tasting notes. I find these more accurate and accessible:

Malt Advocate

Whisky Magazine

Both of these are from an older bottling, but I've still found them to be pretty close.

That sounds more enjoyable. I've avoided Laphroaig specifically for those reasons. I'll see if I can find it.

By the way, this thread is already #5 on google for "Ardberg 10yr".

Big fan of Islay malts. :smile: In fact of all malt regions and experiences, the big pungent and peaty malts of Islay are the pinnacle for me. (of course depending upon season/weather/mood depends what I pour. (Just had a 15 year The MacCallan) (spring in Australia). Ardbeg very enjoyable as mentioned above. Robust and peaty. Nice lingering feel and aroma.

Brought out the Ardbeg 10 last night for a few drams. As the weather turns cooler, Islay Whiskies just hit the spot. I think this Sprit of the Month might have just pushed me over to pick up a bottle of the Beastie. Ardbeg makes a fine product, my only issue is the lack of availability for many on this side of the pond.

Gents, this is my first "official" attempt at coming up with tasting notes.

Ardbeg 10:

Color: deceptively light gold

Nose: Rope and seaspray with light floral undertones obscured by smoke

Taste: An immediate tease of tangy, vanilla sweetness that's quickly knocked-out by the peat punch. As the peat dies down, the subtle taste of roasted nuts and spice lead into a smoky, faintly medicinal, but not too dry finish.

Diluted the sweetness really blossoms. Notes of ripe berries, honey, and citrus peel poke out from the peat and the finish becomes more leathery and grainy.

I finished my Ardbeg 10 on Monday and immediately cracked open my Ardbeg Renaissance 55.9%, it’s been sat in the cupboard for a bit, not any more. It is similar but packs a bigger punch than the 10, I’m no expert but it is a 10 itself, just bottled at cask strength, the last in the limited edition (marketing ploy) run. I made the trip to Port Ellen and Bowmore last month and it was a magical experience, my only disappointment was the price of the nectar. If I’d have wanted to try what SepticTanks drinking, a 1974 expression i would of needed a small fortune to even have a shot.

Ardbeg Uigeadail is my next target, this is also a cask strength offering but this one is finished in sherry casks which when i tasted it seemed to give it that little bit of sweetness and makes it worth the little extra. You can pick a bottle up for £41. That's £41 allocated out of next months salary then, cheers.

Ardbeg Uigeadail is my next target, this is also a cask strength offering but this one is finished in sherry casks which when i tasted it seemed to give it that little bit of sweetness and makes it worth the little extra. You can pick a bottle up for £41. That's £41 allocated out of next months salary then, cheers.

This sounds divine. I wish that was available for me locally -- I'd love to try that.

Gents,

Almost halfway through the month! How's everyone enjoying the selection? Have you been able to find it?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
By the way, this thread is already #5 on google for "Ardberg 10yr".

... let's see if we can't bump it up a few notches! :w00t: (edit ... just googled ... we're down to #8)

I actually have a bottle of Arddy-berg that's been sitting around for a year or more. I got it basically on a flier, and haven't thought much of it up until now. I've been staying away from my single malts the past little while, as a string of colds (and other obstacles) have wreaked havoc on my malt-enjoying opportunities.

But I'll be able to post more about this hopefully next week. I'll try to quaff a few drams over the weekend, and if I'm still sober on Monday, post some opinions. :biggrin:

Brought out the bottle of Uigeadail last night for a dram. For those that enjoy Ardbeg 10, you should really try the Uigeadail. It is a Cask Strength Ardbeg which is rich and smoky. In addition to Bourbon Casks, the Oogie also contains Whisky from Fino Sherry Casks which develops a well rounded profile. Huge flavors, the peat smoke intertwined with the rich sweetness from the Sherry Casks work wonderfully together. This is a cracking dram.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
For an Islay, this is pretty mild stuff, imho. Nice and pleasant, no doubt, but a shrinking violet next to its fellow-islanders

Top Bottom