What's new

AS lotion/balm/splash/etc.- what's the difference

Hi there. I'm pretty new to DE shaving and still in the process of finding some suitable products for my face. I have quite sensitive skin and a thick beard.

As I search through all the myriad of AS products out there, it seems to me that there is a difference between a lotion, a splash, a balm, a toner, and a moisturizer. Have I missed any?

I would really appreciate it if someone would explain to me the difference between these different kinds of products. Since it seems like some people also use more than one kind of AS product after shaving, I would also appreciate an explanation on the rationale for this as well (or is that just more ad?).

bump cuz I'm not sure either.

*I think* to some degree or another, it has to do w/ the amount of alcohol contained in the product. I'm probably wrong though.

Hey guys

and welcome; there is an entire section on after shave stuff; I would start there, it is quite helpful.

Also, there are a number of reviews of aftershave products in the review section.

but in my experience
AS lotion and Balm are closer to being the same (they arent) than an AS splash.

As a matter of fact I am not particularly sure there is much different between a balm and a lotion other than ingredients... hmmmmmm, things to ponder and ask mama bear and sue....

anyway; AS lotion/balms are good for winter; thick in consistency and good for moisturizing the skin without drying.

AS splashes are more liquidy and those and gels are great for summer (specially in the humid south) where they help you stay moisturized and take care of your skin, but not worry about sweating it off.

Well, there is 15 seconds you shall never get back again. But from my limited experience in DE shaving and skin care, that is my two cents.

keep reading; there are those wiser than me that shall lend a hand.

Similar questions have come up more than once recently. See here, here and here. Go browse the Aftershave forum. The first two pages have several threads discussing this very issue.

Hey there,
Thanks for all the feedback. The posts that were referenced in the Aftershave forum were especially helpful. I hope to make some progress on this soon:)

Top Bottom