What's new

First shave with 1930's Gillette

I've been on vacation this week and decided to check out some of the antique stores. I got lucky and found a display case full of old razors in a huge antique mall we have here in town.

My very best find was a Gillette Aristocrat in a brass case. From the research I've done it's somewhere between 1929-1933. It's in very nice condition and even has the brass blade holder with an old wrapped blade inside it. It has had some use but after going over it with some Maas it has shined up very nice. I actually am thinking of not shaving with it as it's just so pretty. For $22.50 I think I did well. I'm thinking I will snap some pictures and post them soon for everyone to see.

I also found a 1930's ball end 3 piece razor with an open comb design which I shaved with today. Wow! You talk about a nice aggressive and close shave. I had a few little bleeders but nothing to cry about at all. The shave was on par with my Merkurs, very nice. For $4 it's definitely going to be one of my daily shavers. It's a very nice feeling razor with a thin handle and head but still has plenty of heft.

Also, I picked up a 3 piece shaver with a nickel plated head and a black plastic handle. I'm not sure what time frame this is from but it's in perfect condition. Again, $4.

I've been on vacation this week and decided to check out some of the antique stores. I got lucky and found a display case full of old razors in a huge antique mall we have here in town.

My very best find was a Gillette Aristocrat in a brass case. From the research I've done it's somewhere between 1929-1933. It's in very nice condition and even has the brass blade holder with an old wrapped blade inside it. It has had some use but after going over it with some Maas it has shined up very nice. I actually am thinking of not shaving with it as it's just so pretty. For $22.50 I think I did well. I'm thinking I will snap some pictures and post them soon for everyone to see.

I also found a 1930's ball end 3 piece razor with an open comb design which I shaved with today. Wow! You talk about a nice aggressive and close shave. I had a few little bleeders but nothing to cry about at all. The shave was on par with my Merkurs, very nice. For $4 it's definitely going to be one of my daily shavers. It's a very nice feeling razor with a thin handle and head but still has plenty of heft.

Also, I picked up a 3 piece shaver with a nickel plated head and a black plastic handle. I'm not sure what time frame this is from but it's in perfect condition. Again, $4.

Careful with the Mass on gold-plated razors like the Aristocrat - you don't want to wear through the plating. There are some threads around about how to clean & polish these razors.

I also have this type of razor and it's a great shave. Give it a try. Nice collection you picked up.

jim

Please give the Aristocrat a try!!! To date it is my go to razor!! They provide a great shave, are well balanced, and just feel "right" in your hand. They are heavy...Just avoid ay pressure and maybe use a little negative pressure. You won't regret it!!!

N might off the subject but the older ones are better. I currently use a 1912 GEM the most. I have been told it was made in the 20's gotta love it huh.

Fuzzy

I had my first shave with my Aristocrat today and I was very impressed with the shave and the results. I was also reluctant to use it because it's a mint razor and looks amazing. But I figure, what good is having it just to look at and who am I saving it for. I own it and should enjoy it, so I am going to put it into the rotation with my Merkur HD. As much as I have to fight with my tendency to keep my things mint and unused, I'm trying to change and use it, enjoy it and just take good care and maintenance of it, which applies to other things I have owned and collected over the years.
Ahhh, that was just like therapy! :tongue:

Top Bottom