What's new

Prices for Custom Scales

What do you guys consider a fair and appropriate price to get custom scales made and attached to a razor? I'd like different price ranges for plastic, wood, and any other common material. (I know wood prices can vary greatly so think middle of the road.) I ask because I see many razors with custom scales for sale. I sold one recently too. It's hard to know the right price for every razor razor but if I know the relative value of the scales, I can get an idea of the razor's overall value. Thanks.

Oooo, tough question! First I think it has as much to do with the craftsmanship of the set of scales as the fact that a razor has custom scales on it alone. I could check out two different razors with custom scales for sale both with the same blade and same type of wood but understand why one would fairly be $50 more than the other based on scale shape, function, design, spacer, finish, polish, pins, etc. To be completely honest, I would personally say that custom scales could add anywhere from $20-100 or even hundreds if it is a rare/exotic material that is done very well.

Like anything else its a function of the rarity of the wood used and the finishing techniques and the reputation of the person making them. If you had a world class furniture maker doing it you could pay hundreds. In general for most basic woods and guys who are handyman grade makers I'd say about $60 is middle of the road.

Good set installed, I don't think it would be unfair to pay $50-$100. I make scales, but would not say I'm an artisan by any stretch. Takes 3-7 hours to complete a set and depending on the finish, could take up to a week.

You can get an idea if you look at ClassicShaving web page.

Other than that, it's like everything else, depends what you're willing to pay/sell them for.

Some people fall for fancy scales some others fall for blades.

Totally depends. TI scales aren't made at the same time, are different sizes and the quality/finish is pretty pathetic.

On the wild flip side, I've seen Bill Ellis (in person) make his bottom of the line scales with NO aluminum liner, no CA coat, etc - and it was an incredibly laborious and exacting process.

For the most part, custom scales can be considered works of art. What would one pay for a work of art? If you're buying a painting are you paying only for the paint, canvas and artist's time?

Everything mentioned by previous posts is accurate, especially joel's comment about even a basic set being a long and laborious process.

About a year ago, Joe Chandler was charging about $35 - $40 for a set of scales in a basic wood or micarta, including repinning.

This included a nice spacer in your choice of several materials and a high gloss CA finish.

About a year ago, Joe Chandler was charging about $35 - $40 for a set of scales in a basic wood or micarta, including repinning.

This included a nice spacer in your choice of several materials and a high gloss CA finish.

I've highlighted the important part! lol

Before they were famous...

I have a question regarding custom scales: Is there anyone doing them out of carbon fibre, for a decent price, or are those usually very costly?

The only person I've seen doing CF scales is Alex (Philadelph) and if you read his signature (the post before yours) he's not doing them now.

I have found a UK-based company that will cut out (using CAD) a scale design (something simple). I may give them a try.

I have a question regarding custom scales: Is there anyone doing them out of carbon fibre, for a decent price, or are those usually very costly?

i thought carbon finer is slightly more expensive than wood - the material is a bit more expensive and it's tougher, but then you don't need to CA it. The only two people who I've seen make such scales are Joe Chandler and Philadelph, but none of them does it currently. Perhaps one of the other scale makers would give it a try.

Top Bottom