What's new

whats your favorite beer?

I love a lot of Samuel Adams' offerings and like that they offer up so many varieties to the mass audience. My favorite all time SA beer is their Octoberfest. Just a delight!
I am more into IPAs though. SA has one or two that work in a pinch, but when I can get it, I go for what Stone brewery puts out. So good!

Possible all-time favorite: Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout.

Might have to agree, it's just perfect. Before the SSOS jogged my memory, I had Firestone Velvet Merlin on my mind. Firestone Brewery is located in the Central Valley of CA along the 101, and Velvet Merlin is their fantastic Oatmeal Stout. They also have Velvet Merkin, which is the Merlin, bourbon barrel aged. Gotta give that a go soon.

Pilsner Urquell has got to be the best beer I have ever had. It is the original Pilsner, AND the beer glass was invented to show off its beautiful golden color.

Alaskan Amber. I drink it exclusively whenever I'm vacationing in Alaska, and I'm heartbroken that it's not available here in the southeast!

Samuel Smith Imperial Stout is good, but Ayinger Celebrator is my all time favorite. I don't have it often, but it is absolutely divine.

My top three for at home are Heineken Special Dark, Modelo Negro, and Michelob Amber Bock. When I'm out, I like to experiment. I enjoy going to Taco Mac and trying something new.

Currently, I'm very fond of (most of) the offerings from Great Lakes Brewery in Cleveland. I also really like the beers at Cambridge Brewing Company near MIT, but their stuff isn't available in Ohio.

There used to be a great brewery in Albany, NY called Newman's Brewery. Bill Newman was the FIRST microbrewer east of the Mississippi (heck, probably east of the Rockies) and brewed a terrific amber ale back in the 1980s. (They folded around 1990, but not before they'd given some valuable work experience to a young brewer named Jim Koch, who went on to found Sam Adams.) I'm just happy that the drinking age was 18 back then, otherwise I might never have had the pleasure!

Favourite local beer at the moment is Lobethal Bierhaus IPA when I can get it or Little Creatures Rogers beer when I can't. Favourite international would have to be Rochefort 10.

My recent favourite is Bridge Road Celtic Red Ale. That's strictly for the benefit of the Aussies on here 'cause I reckon you'd have Buckley's of finding it outside Oz. Other than that I've been working through a mixed box of Hoff Brau (the Mai Bock was the best followed by the Dubbel) and the start of the warm weather has me drinking Budweiser (Budvar that is, not Anheiser-Busch).

Favourite local beer at the moment is Lobethal Bierhaus IPA when I can get it or Little Creatures Rogers beer when I can't. Favourite international would have to be Rochefort 10.

G'day mate! Another Adelaidian with nothing better to do on a Saturday night than post on B&B :biggrin1:

I must get up to the Lobie Bierhaus again. Sadly, when I pass through I'm generally on a motorbike so cartage is an issue or they're closed. I found their products a bit generic at first. That's not to say they weren't good, just they hadn't developed a house style so each one was exactly what you'd expect from the label but no more. Brew Boys and and Steam Exchange are my two favourite local micros. We had Vale Ale on tap for a party last weekend and I'd recommend that if you are partial to a fruity ale. I hear we are about to start brewing Guiness in town soon - I hope that means we'll get fresh kegs and (long shot I know) unpasteurised.

My 2 cents,

I love beer. I drink all kinds of beer. But the best beer you will ever have is the one you brew yourself. Check out www.homebrewtalk.com to get an idea of everything. Take your favorite beer & increase it by 10x.............. then you'll be close.

I've brewed "Centennial Blond" 7 or 8 times. "Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale" tastes like a pumpkin pie blew up in your mouth. It's better than anything you can possibly imagine. I've made a Cream Stout that tastes like heaven. Now I walk by the beer freezer at the grocery store & just scoff!

Last edited:
My recent favourite is Bridge Road Celtic Red Ale. That's strictly for the benefit of the Aussies on here 'cause I reckon you'd have Buckley's of finding it outside Oz. Other than that I've been working through a mixed box of Hoff Brau (the Mai Bock was the best followed by the Dubbel) and the start of the warm weather has me drinking Budweiser (Budvar that is, not Anheiser-Busch).

G'day mate! Another Adelaidian with nothing better to do on a Saturday night than post on B&B :biggrin1:

I must get up to the Lobie Bierhaus again. Sadly, when I pass through I'm generally on a motorbike so cartage is an issue or they're closed. I found their products a bit generic at first. That's not to say they weren't good, just they hadn't developed a house style so each one was exactly what you'd expect from the label but no more. Brew Boys and and Steam Exchange are my two favourite local micros. We had Vale Ale on tap for a party last weekend and I'd recommend that if you are partial to a fruity ale. I hear we are about to start brewing Guiness in town soon - I hope that means we'll get fresh kegs and (long shot I know) unpasteurised.

Hi again Cpt! I am a student in the middle of Swotvac, B&B is a far better option than actual study!

I have had the Vale IPA on tap which went down well but still prefer something like Lobie or a Feral hop hog (Perth is local, right?) in that style, I will give the Ale a go next time I have the chance. I Actually tried a brew boys Charger Lager on Friday night but was some what underwhelmed, certainly drinkable but not overly exciting. Probably not fair to judge the brewery on one beer though so I might have to try their Amber/Stout.

Being an Adelaidian you would know about the Wheatsheaf in Thebarton?

Hi again Cpt! I am a student in the middle of Swotvac, B&B is a far better option than actual study!

Makes sense to me - the things I did rather than study...

I have had the Vale IPA on tap which went down well but still prefer something like Lobie or a Feral hop hog (Perth is local, right?) in that style, I will give the Ale a go next time I have the chance. I Actually tried a brew boys Charger Lager on Friday night but was some what underwhelmed, certainly drinkable but not overly exciting. Probably not fair to judge the brewery on one beer though so I might have to try their Amber/Stout.

Dunno about Perth being local, but Swan Lager is about to be :biggrin1:

It's pretty rare that I try I lager that I'm not underwhelmed by. Try Seeing Double.

Being an Adelaidian you would know about the Wheatsheaf in Thebarton?

Yup, but haven't been there since a mate of mine stopped gigging. Great selection of beers but all the chicks are lesbians (before anyone says anthing, I thought it was just me until female friends told me the same). It's probably the local for work 'cause I refuse to even consider the Repham.

Others worth knowing about are the King's Head in King William St and Goodwood Cellars. Oh, and Grumpy's Brew Haus.

Usually Honey Brown anything but right now Big Rock Honey ale is a big hit with me, I also really like their Wheat beer Grasshopper!

I really enjoy the Sprecher Black Bavarian, but its a pain to find. Schwarzbiers from Germany seem to be easier to find on the east coast. Easier to acquire is the Anchor Christmas Ale, which is an absolute stunner - the season in a glass!

Top Bottom