What's new

problem with hotshot water heater

Love the product (using distilled water has vastly improved my lather) but whenever I dispense the water, the machine has a moment where the excess water boils off of the heating area. It doesn't seem like there's really a way to turn it off manually, and a small brown ring has appeared on the bottom of the heater. Should I just unplug it after I dispense the water or would that not do any good?

Distilled water is good if you don't have 'soft water' As a side note clean the Hot-Shot by running a cycle with white vinegar.

The primary concern is safety, assuming the device is UL approved it probably has two thermostatic devices; one for the main control another for run-away or failure of the primary. Uh, don't want to start a fire. In reality the second is something cheap and simple like a bimetallic reed.

The device heats water with an element that is obviously hotter than the set point temp of the water,,, it has some mass. I suspect that once you reach the set point, it turns off, you may be dispensing the water immediately? Try giving it 30 second to take on some the the residual heat left in the element.

Now I'm also puzzled why there is a ring to begin with.... Huumm.... stainless bowl, distilled water? In the end I don't think any harm is being done, but it the brown spot bothers you try the vinegar trick.

Speaking of color,,, if its a blue/purple or black, then we might be burning the stainless,,, a little over time is ok,, and the vinegar don't touch it,,, could mean it is probably over heating or being cycled dry. Might want to keep an eye out for a replacement,,, Good Will?

how much water are you putting in? I have two, one I can put a full two cups in (slightly older model) without any problem, the newer one I have to cut it an ounce or two short. but as far as making lather, I wouldn't imagine you'd need more than 1 - 1.5 cups, but that's just my thought, I haven't used it to heat water for lather, just tea, coffee, oatmeal, etc.

Oh, do you open the lid before you dispense? letting some cool air hit it before you dispense might help, too

OK, I think I know what's going on. What I've been doing is turning it on, and dispensing the water before the heat cycle ends. Does the device automatically turn off anyway, or does it only do that once you've dispensed the water? I've been thinking the latter, so I've been dispensing it close to the end of the heating cycle.

EDIT: Just read the directions again...it stops on its own. I'm stupid, sorry guys.

OK, I think I know what's going on. What I've been doing is turning it on, and dispensing the water before the heat cycle ends. Does the device automatically turn off anyway, or does it only do that once you've dispensed the water? I've been thinking the latter, so I've been dispensing it close to the end of the heating cycle.

EDIT: Just read the directions again...it stops on its own. I'm stupid, sorry guys.

ahhhhhhh, yes, that thought hadn't occured to me ... yes, it turns itself off, it gets really boiling at the end, so with less water as a result of dispensation, it would really be active...I'm just thankful you haven't had some serious burns because of it!

Top Bottom