What's new

New Badger Brush Smell

Well, as I'm sure you all know, a brand new badger brush is not exactly the best smelling thing in the world. Do any of you have any methods of reducing the wet-dog smell?

Just use it and the smell will go away, it may take a week or two. Use a cream like Proraso and let that soak into the brush for awhile after you shave. You can also use a dog shampoo to wash your brush with, just make sure to rinse it well when you are done.

Give it a couple soakings in a mix of water and Borax 20 Mule Team good stuff and then a nice shampooing or two. That's the fastest way to reduce the Badger *** smell.

Don't have any Borax. I actually decided to try a vinegar soak after reading about cleaning brushes with it. About 1:3 vinegar:water ratio. Soaked for 5 minutes using HOT water. Then I whipped up two batches of lather. Seems to have taken the worst of the smell off. I think I'll try shampooing it in a bit, when I'm not so waterlogged.

All these methods work perfect. I like the shampoo conditioner combo to help soften it up a bit. My C&E BBB was by far the worst smelling brush so far.

Have often heard the odor mentioned. When I purchased my C&E BB about two months ago, I was expecting the smell - but - nothing! No smell at all. Curious as to why. Something to do with the manufacturing process or badger hair curing process? Or perhaps I just have a bad nose? Just curious.

J

Jarmo P

My EJ best badger brush was also the worst I ever got.
It smelt so so BAAD.
So you were lucky or? The instructions that came with that brush was that it is ok to shave and no "bacteria invested in it". I doubt very much, but I am ok.
Just wish never again to get a smelly brush like that :(

O just must be lucky, I have an EJ BBB and I bought a new replacement badger knot for an older brush - neither ever had a smell that I noticed. On the other hand, I have a young dog and the wet badger may just blend in.

I believe I may have discovered the secret to simultaneously cleaning and de-scenting a brush.
I had soaked the brush in vinegar, then did a batch of lather with Mama Bear's Brute and a batch with VDH Deluxe (to tone down the Brut smell a bit) and it worked pretty well at getting rid of the scent. It also made an amazing lather.
So, I shaved today using my C&E BBB, but the lather was sub-par compared to the cleaning lather from last night's experiment. So, I decided to clean the brush.
1) 15 minute soak in HOT water with 3 drops of Dawn. Scrub against hand, then rinse well.
2)10 minute soak with 1:1:8 Hydrogen Peroxide:Vinegar:WARM water solution. Rinse well.
3)Rinse again, then lather with mild shave soap (VDH, etc) to test, and rinse one more time.
4)Shake out and air dry upside down.

Well, I tried this, and not only did the VDH EXPLODE in the bowl, but when I took a whiff of the brush, there were no residual scents whatsoever. None. No badger, no VDH, no vinegar, nothing.

And, as always, YMMV.

I just use shampoo and whip it up like lather for ten minutes, then rinse and do the same with conditioner. Works like a charm every time.

Have often heard the odor mentioned. When I purchased my C&E BB about two months ago, I was expecting the smell - but - nothing! No smell at all. Curious as to why. Something to do with the manufacturing process or badger hair curing process? Or perhaps I just have a bad nose? Just curious.

+1

I don't have a C&E BBB because there isn't a crabtree shop anywhere around here but of my 3 brushes an Omega, a Simpson and a B&B 2006 LE (I think Edwin Jagger made them) I have used all 3 straight out of the box and never noticed any smell.

I just used normal shampoo and the smell was strongly reduced. After a few days I could not smell anything at all.

What I'd like to know is what exactly smells like this? (can't be the hair themselves as they would smell even after being washed) Some kind of body oil I guess?

Top Bottom