What's new

SOTD- sheng of the day

SotD: early 1980s CNNP. This sold for £880/bing in October, 2010 and is now £1,750. By that token, I just had a tea session that was worth £50 ($80).

Crikey.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
SotD: early 1980s CNNP. This sold for £880/bing in October, 2010 and is now £1,750. By that token, I just had a tea session that was worth £50 ($80).

Crikey.

I'm still not sure if you mean that the session 'cost' $80 or if it was 'worth' $80. :biggrin1:

how was it?

I had a great session with SE Memorial today.

Anways, TwoDog2, see what I mean by buying old tea in 2007? Ouch, I think I would modify in the sense that the experience offered by an early eighties tea is rare, and while there are worthless but rare things, I think we can all agree with the idea that your reasonably stored old tea is worth something. £50 is quite a bit for a bar tab at a party, isn't it? I wouldn't know since I know nothing about drinking scotch all night long.

I'm still not sure if you mean that the session 'cost' $80 or if it was 'worth' $80. :biggrin1:

how was it?

You're quite right - it cost £50 :)

I have very fixed personal opinions on whether or not I would pay such a sum for a cake of tea, given the good causes to which such a sum could be more beneficially employed...

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

Hobbes was it the Qing bing or the snow mark? I have some Qing bing I've been waiting to get a better small pot to brew. I wish I new where I could find a quality under60 ml yixing for aged pu-erh.
Yesterday I revisited the 70s tong Qing hao given the price increases of the other aged cakes this one's price has remained stagnate. Solid aged qi, decent mouthfeel and a nice woody if monochromatic flavor.

11 YS Fall Xikong -

Grain and a musk like flavor accompanied by a shot of fruit as the session played out. Very nice. Chaqi was great...narcotic...I was so relaxed I could barely keep my eyes open.

I wouldn't know since I know nothing about drinking scotch all night long.

See, the real key to drinking scotch all night long is to have the boss pick up that tab. Alas...if only rich guys wanted to binge drink 80's sheng. Maybe it is the lack of karaoke + puer options in this city.

SOTD: had the Taipei Expo Hongtie Yunjiu, it is quite good, more balanced than the shroom on first impression, but with less strength in kuwei and feeling.

An outstanding session with '05 Dayi Mengsong Peacock today. Still bitter early (over after 5-6 brews) and a bit astringent. Not too much qi, but some there. However, the aroma was strong, and the taste was excellent. Lots of that puffy, incensy wood, floral elements. Early rounds had a kind of sweet roots taste like ginseng/licorice note, and later rounds had one of the strongest aged tea plum taste I've ever had. Maybe only the '98 7542 was stronger. Might not be as full, but quite a bit tastier than the '01 7542 I have.

On day six of brewing extended brewing the Tong Qing Hao. This tea just keeps pumping out good tasting infusions. They are cold before there ready to drink though.
I tried the 00 gu puer Green mark qi zi . In the initial three or four infusions this tea tasted like some tuition teas I bought from puer shop. Just when I'm about to write the tea off it comes into its own. With a strong xiaguan like taste and even a cooling after taste. The contrast between the early and late infusions was quite large. I am gonna let the tea air out for a week before trying it again.

11 YS Autumn Xi Bang -

Tea soup pours a nice light yellow. Starts with hay/grain and moves into melon and musk…finishes with just a hint of fruit. Smell in the empty cup is thick with musk/barnyard/urine notes. Mouthfeel is good…chaqi is likewise, but sweetness is muted so far.

The first couple of times I tried this it was still in a post-pressing slumber. But now it seems to be coming alive in a pleasing way.

Last edited:
Blended 5g of this year's Hekai maocha (the last of it) with 2g of '06 Douji Bada. Nothing fancy happened.

The guy who sold all those '99 Yangqinghao now only sells one tea among his fine metalware. Some 2002 Banzhangwang yeshieng for $730+.

Aaaanyways, for those of you looking for the hottest and latest...The new, hip, Yiwu to get is 鄭家樑子, Zhen Jia Liang, similar name to that Bulang tea that YS sold in '10. Anyways, this is a Mahei-type Yiwu...

Aaaanyways, for those of you looking for the hottest and latest...The new, hip, Yiwu to get is 鄭家樑子, Zhen Jia Liang, similar name to that Bulang tea that YS sold in '10. Anyways, this is a Mahei-type Yiwu...

And do I dare ask what the hot and hip tea costs? Given the way things are going, I can only imagine....

A bit less than a comparable Mahei. Suspect this is lower elevation tea because the village is directly south of Mahei by some margin and Mengla gets lower as you go south... This is a known place, actually, and has always been rather minor. Wonder if this is one of those "fakes" that has gotten expensive enough to be sold on it's own name.

Now I'm kicking myself for never grabbing one of those 99 YQH yiwu bricks or the tuo. Has anyone got to try it? I am curious if I missed anything. Last nite I had a session with the 9os yellow label 7532 this tea has the type of qi of a much older tea. It is just not that strong. It has also gotten back some of its complexity back in the year and a half I have had it.

Sotd's. Heng Li Chang good session as always I can't wait to drink this tea in fifteen to twenty years. That is if I manage not to drink it all before then. Also 03 yiwu brick that was available at houde. I really like this tea but it has horrible durability and very little qi.

2012 Mengsong Fall Maocha Gushu sample. Lot's of hei tiao and some spindly stems, some large leaves. Generally pretty attractive to look at. It was a very fun session, some candy like bubble gum sweetness was there throughout the session, with a thick soup and a gentle kuwei. This is a nice tea to drink immediately, I doubt it will age well in the long term, probably 1-8 years is the ideal time to drink it. (No idea where i came up with 8, just a uneducated guess) I enjoy a tea like this for daily drinking, it isn't too fussy and is good enough to keep up interest levels later in the session

Another session, with the remaining 5g of '12 Mengsong maocha, and another few grams of whatever was in my leftovers container next to my tray. What I grabbed was leftovers of something wet stored, which made for an interesting battle. The Mengsong won the first few rounds, but eventually laid down its arms to the wet storage flavors. I should have been more discerning about what i decided to mix in.

Finished off my Nadacha '12 Bangwei, buttressed with some 2g of Nadacha '10 Bangwei. Not a huge fan of the taste (first few brews have that transitional tea tree sourness), nor the aroma, which wasn't complex with much to say. It really could be thicker for all of that high quality texture. Later brew has a very nice black pepper energy, even later brews have some sweet sensation. It cools the mouth and makes you feel it in the throat. What's the value of this tea is that the qi is excellent, even if it's a downbeat note (say, as opposed to Xishangmeishao, whatever the nudge of the naming might imply, seems to have euphoric qi for me). It really leaves a nice mellow note to an afternoon. If you have a trial in the morning, and and an afternoon off, this is the tea you pick out. I didn't actually mind the taste, and there are good subnotes, but taste really isn't a primary reason to buy this cake.

Am very curious about Nada's new young sheng.

09 Mengku Ancient Leaf cake -

This used to be your basic hay/grain pale yellow easy drinking pu. All the sudden it's pouring copper colored and has hints of camphor. Interesting....and pretty tasty. I figured this would not age well at all.

09 Changtai Qian Jia Feng -

A bit of spicy wood and a torrent of mushroom. Just what I needed after heavy chicken parm and asparagus.

A bit of spicy wood and a torrent of mushroom. Just what I needed after heavy chicken parm and asparagus.

That sounds amazing.

SOTD: 2002 Zhongcha Qingbing (more or less 7542) - dry storage - Not much in the way of heavy qi or flavor, but a solid tea all around. "Classic" kind of woody flavor. Tastes a little bit younger than it is, probably do to storage not being very humid

Top Bottom