What's new

SOTD- sheng of the day

On my "to do" list is to get more acquainted with this year's Menghai recipes. They say the quality has picked up since the "wilderness years" of 2005-2006; do you think that's the case?

I like the Menghai recipes, because their prices are pretty much set in stone. No unethical vendor is going to start charging > $100 for a standard Menghai recipe just because everyone knows their real worth. Wouldn't it be nice if that were the case for all cakes? :)

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

I've just had a sample and have no frame of reference - good value for the money.

If you tell me which of the Menghais you're interested in trying, I'll pick some up from YS and that will be my contribution to the tea roundtable.

I decided to pull something from the cabinet this morning and give it a go again. Yunnan CNNP Grand Red Label 8668.

Good.... but i'm still a "green man."

I can't believe that I've had this cake for a year and only tried it once. Thanks for the reminder! My original notes weren't too complimentary - heaven knows why I bought it... :)

I'm watching the postbox, eagerly!

Sweet with tobacco sounds like a very decent 7542 - where did you buy this one? :)

Toodlepip,

Hobbes
If this is from the bing Jay sent me a sample of, it was the 2005 Dayi from puerhshop. I really liked this, and am planning to pick some more up.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I can't believe that I've had this cake for a year and only tried it once. Thanks for the reminder! My original notes weren't too complimentary - heaven knows why I bought it... :)

Perhaps for the same reason I did- it was a XZH and it was cheap. :lol:

Sweet with tobacco sounds like a very decent 7542 - where did you buy this one? :)

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

See below. Not really all that sweet, especially in the first brews where a bit more sweetness would be welcome. It does improve by the fourth or fifth infusion, though.

If this is from the bing Jay sent me a sample of, it was the 2005 Dayi from puerhshop. I really liked this, and am planning to pick some more up.

That's the one. I paid $25, and shortly thereafter he was selling it for $36. I pointed out that was a pretty fast 44% bump, and he has since reduced it to $29. I would buy one to put away for a few years, but I'm still in the "there are so many things to buy that I can't abide any duplicates" phase. Even if they ultimately turn out to be nothing special, I can't think of two factories that are "blue chippers" more than Menghai and Xiaguan.

If you gents give me some Menghai or other requests and the winner will be what I send around.

Which other e-bay vendors/e-tailers do you guys recommend besides YS?

Wow, you tea guys have your own secret code and everything!

I figure this title will be more annoying to those already perplexed by the numerous pu'er threads floating around. If you'd like, I can always change it to "Tea time with Toodlepip". :001_rolle

9/25
'07 Xi Zhi Hao 8582
6g, 140ml yixing- 15s, 15s, 25s, 40s, 50s, that's all, folks.

This was very nice, and better than the XZH dragon and phoenix I have. Their take on a classic recipe results in something completely different from the other 8582's I've tried. It's by no means a high end sheng, but it was delightful while it lasted, which was not all that long. I don't think this is one to hide away for a decade, but it's very approachable now.

Who's next?

If you gents give me some Menghai or other requests and the winner will be what I send around.

Which other e-bay vendors/e-tailers do you guys recommend besides YS?

2008 Menghai 8582 gets my vote! I'd love to see what this year's version is like, as it's usually a grand recipe. :chinese:

Thanks for the kind offer, Chris!

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

That's the one. I paid $25, and shortly thereafter he was selling it for $36. I pointed out that was a pretty fast 44% bump, and he has since reduced it to $29. I would buy one to put away for a few years, but I'm still in the "there are so many things to buy that I can't abide any duplicates" phase. Even if they ultimately turn out to be nothing special, I can't think of two factories that are "blue chippers" more than Menghai and Xiaguan.

I shouldn't criticise vendors - but I want to! I understand that it's a business, and that everyone's just trying to make a living. I understand that it's a free market, and a vendor should be able to charge whatever he likes. I understand that we have absolutely no inalienable right to expect certain levels of pricing.

However, I am really annoyed by huge price-hikes the minute a tea passes the 2-year mark. Sometimes, it's even faster than that. Again, every vendor is free to do as they please. However, I shall defend my right to complain loudly about prices!

Don't get me started on Xizihao! :wink:

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

P.s. "Blue chip" is just right for Menghai and Xiaguan, I do agree. I'm a bit skeptical about some of the processing that seems to occur - as a French teachum once wrote so wisely, "It's nice to get conned by Menghai sometimes."

ouch

P.s. "Blue chip" is just right for Menghai and Xiaguan, I do agree. I'm a bit skeptical about some of the processing that seems to occur - as a French teachum once wrote so wisely, "It's nice to get conned by Menghai sometimes."

If memory serves, I recall someone's calling them "cheeky devils." :tongue_sm

ouch

For the afternoon-

'08 Banga Gong, T. Rex collection*
5g, 100ml gaiwan, 10s, 5s, 10s, 30s, 60s, sayanara
This ripe pu was much more heavily, well, I don't quite know what the term is. In the world of matured Virginia tobacco, it would be considered heavily "stoved". In any event, it appears to have been cooked/fermented/whatever far more than the average shu- night and day from the light Xiaguan cooked tuos. Fairly monolithic, but that seems to be the case with most shu. Pretty rich, like a cuppa joe.

*Just seeing if anyone's paying attention. Is was an '08 Menghai 7572 ripe.

ouch

But honest, honey, I thought they were serving the new Menghai Peacock of Bada that Hobbes was raving about. I swear, I had no idea.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2008-Menghai-Pe...9102245QQihZ022QQcategoryZ38181QQcmdZViewItem

proxy.php

I'll stop now.

For the afternoon-

'08 Banga Gong, T. Rex collection*
5g, 100ml gaiwan, 10s, 5s, 10s, 30s, 60s, sayanara
This ripe pu was much more heavily, well, I don't quite know what the term is. In the world of matured Virginia tobacco, it would be considered heavily "stoved". In any event, it appears to have been cooked/fermented/whatever far more than the average shu- night and day from the light Xiaguan cooked tuos. Fairly monolithic, but that seems to be the case with most shu. Pretty rich, like a cuppa joe.

*Just seeing if anyone's paying attention. Is was an '08 Menghai 7572 ripe.

FOUL! This is sheng of the day, not shu of the day. You're in the wrong thread, buddy! Moderator, moderator! :detective::letterk1:

ouch

You are correct, my friend. I did post a sheng earlier, but I know, I kow- no excuses.

I wish petrol stations in the UK served Bada bing!

This morning, the 2002 Hailanghao "Qiaomu". Fairly priced at Yunnan Sourcing, at something like $25-$30, because it's fun but limited. I like it because it's the first ever cake of the Hailanghao brand - and it feels like it. Rough, experimental, over-processed. I love the brand, so it's great seeing where they started out. Even the wrapper is charmingly naive!

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

ouch

That's not petrol they're serving. :001_rolle

Hoy:
2006 Haiwan Pure Purple Bud raw.
~5, 150ml yixing, 15s (whoops), 5s, 5s, 10, 20, 35s, hasta lumbago.
I normally shy away from "gimmicky" sounding products, as it is often a last gasp attempt to move an item that would be otherwise unsellable. So I was surprised that I liked this one as much as I did. It's on the spirited side, and seems to brew past the point of vibrancy into the world of unpalatable astringency. The piercing bitterness makes it difficult to pick up the different flavors, but there seems to be a decent amount going on. Interesting.

2006 Haiwan Pure Purple Bud raw.
~5, 150ml yixing, 15s (whoops), 5s, 5s, 10, 20, 35s, hasta lumbago.
I normally shy away from "gimmicky" sounding products, as it is often a last gasp attempt to move an item that would be otherwise unsellable.

What was the gimmick for this one? :)

I rather like purple-leaf teas, they can be very fruity. I'm sure you've tried the Dehong bricks!

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

Top Bottom