What's new

SOTD- sheng of the day

Two shengs of the day, with three more in this flurry left to go...

1) Haiwan '01. This tea, along with the Mengku Yellow in Green, were among the teas in blind tastings by Puerh Teapot Magazine, presumably back in '08. I was impressed by Aaron Fisher's comments about a 2002 Haiwan Spring Tips, so I was looking forward to this tea. Let's take this review from Hobbes as the basic point of departure: http://half-dipper.blogspot.com/2007/10/2000-haiwan-guhua.html . I wasn't particularly thrilled with this tea, unlike the Yellow in Green. It's basically a blend dominated by Mengsong tea, and has a lot in common with the '05 Dayi Mengsong Peacock and a little bit with the '07 XZH Mengsong, as Hobbes has linked. It has a strong aroma, not very complex, but generally pleasant. The flavor roughly approximates the kind of floral wood typical of Mengsong, but is not particularly sweet in a mushroomy way, and it also has more of a hint of pickled fruit (a dash of Bada, maybe?). Activity can be very strong, one brew was extremely pepperish, and this tea definitely can make itself felt in the throat. A light bit of qi. The flaws are mainly that it's astringent in an unpleasant, rubbery fashion, most of the session. In the early part of the session, it was also acid and sour. I didn't get very many pleasant brews before I decided to stop. It's fairly thin as well. No storage smell or taste, but this isn't tea I'd ever be interested in.

2) '11 XZH Dian Gu iron cake. This is a pretty big disappointment, in comparison to the '07 maocha and the '09 xiaobing. The flavors were generally the same, but much more muted and lower. The same with the aromas. There isn't the knockout qi that I'd expect from this sort of tea. It's much less thick than the '09 tea. Less sweet than either '09 or '07. The finish, which is one of the signature attributes, is shorter and less complex. Plus, there is a stronger bitterness that's pretty similar to the kind of bitter that saccharine has. That bitterness does resolve into activity in the throat (I even got a small huigan!). The peppery mouthfeel is also lower. The tea is more subtle, with the flavors playing a tighter game and not being all so gloriously dancong-like. The tea is generally pretty smooth, about the same as '09 and less rough than '07. It also has a slightly stronger propensity to have camphor and wood flavors. I really missed the strong peach flavors. It's worth about half of what XZH wants for it on their website, and given my collection, I'd still pass on it if I had the money and a good price.

Does seem to be more evidence of major league quality fades across the board in the puerh world. Is it environment/overharvesting/over-care (fertilizing/pesticides), or demand? Also makes Houde's purchasing decisions a bit more reasonable. It's not really all that much better than the '10 Manzhuang, and I suppose anything that happened to be better had unfriendly wholesale prices from Guang's standpoint.

Looking above, I think a certain somebody amuses the classroom with doodles on the whiteboard/transparencies with silly stuff and holiday greetings.

More of the 2012 Chawangpu "Badashan". Even in my office, this stuff tastes really very good. Badashan is one of the few locations with a character so distinct that you could probably always recognise it; this version from Chawangshop is a mere $17 for a 200g xiaobing, and is completely worth the money. I need to grab a few. I imagine that a tong of xiaobing would look cute!

This is most definitely SFLTS and, in a very real sense, LOYS.

$LOYS.gif

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

09 Changtai Qian Jia Feng -

On the twelfth brew and it has be very consistent. Wood, a hint of spice and mushroom. Pretty tasty session.

Two teas of the day:

1) Finepuer '05 white label fall LBZ. This is pretty good, but I think it's a blend. The first few brews, the qi hit like a Sumo running full tilt, with strong feel in the throat and some mild huigans. The thickness was lacking, the taste was light, but good, and the aroma was good. Closer in many ways to the '03 Menghai Bulang Jipin I have than to other supposed LBZs. The flavor is never really as complex as the Jipin, and the aroma, while sorta close, is not as nice. After the first few brews, the qi eases off, it tastes a bit more Bulang proper. Flavor is less rich than CGHT Ban'E or Gan'En, but less elegant and much less sweet and woody than the Jipin. A bit more of a dry tea than other LBZs I've had. Lasted a good while and the remains are going in the fridge for brewing tomorrow. A squeeze of some juice from the leaves before, though, delivered a finger-tap of qi, so there is definitely more there. Finepuer doesn't really have pretty cakes, so this is fairly cheap, only being (roughly speaking) a bit more than the DingJiaZhai per gram, but I think a whole cake is $200+.

2) 2001 Best Tea House Yiwu brick. Not really sure if it's Yiwu, definitely plantation, definitely not very aged. Has some good tastes and aromas, but it has some of that bad feel of plantation harshness. The bitterness is very untamed and characteristic of plantation as well, and never goes away in the session I've had. The flavors were dynamic during the session, but the soup was paper thin, and the texture, harsh. Not a horrid tea, has more flavor than Dingxing, for example, but much, much, much less elegant and rounded. Really not worth the $128/250g BTH wants for it. Suppose it's best to reiterate, for proper classification of grade, Houde sells Yiwu teas for less than anyone else, excepting that stupid '05 Changtai.

Bada never does get the respect it deserves for being a good place to get your leaves from. I think it's because the gushu places are very far from anywhere else you'd want to go, and the leaves are so distinctively flavored.

Alright, my last tea out of that little care package, Bangwei33 from Nadacha. In the outset, I'd have to have a disclaimer that I was really not in the mood for this kind of tea, feeling maudlin and jaded for what is a contemplative sort of experience. Is it good? Yes. Is it very good? Yes. It's not outstanding,though. That extra year really helps it out in comparison to the other 2012 offerings, and I remember how hard the 2010 Bangwei could be to enjoy, so the year's storage probably was needed anyways, as Big Yunnan described for *his* Bangwei 2012 product. The best things to be said about the tea is that it has very good, relatively body-ish qi, you really feel the tea go down the throat while leaving flavors at the top for a while, these flavors are relatively loud/complex, and the soup is fairly round (but gets a touch harsh near the very end, past brew ten). The deficits are that the aroma could be better, for such a premium product, this is not a thick soup, slightly less thick than XZH '11 Diangu, and less thick than the other Nadacha '12 productions I've had. The flavors are typical Bangwei with more volume and a few interesting notes but Bangwei, in the end, is not all that premium for a reason. For example, Jingmai's flavor palette, for example, is much more friendly, engaging, and interesting, and I would never trade a good Jingmai for a good Bangwei. I also have doubts about how well Bangwei ages, relative to peers. It's gonna get soapy. The quality of the soap may vary, or I may not really like that kind of floral. No problems with liking the 2010 Bangwei so far... I guess the bigger problem is with the price. $150 is just a lot of money for a proper bing. It's thirty-seven and a half cents a gram. While that's still around the price of a decent taiwanese gaoshan, and not more, I do have respect for a decent gaoshan. It's just not comfortably less expensive than a decent yancha, which is most certainly a substitutable product for puerh, and good Rou Gui can leaves *much* nicer flavors in the throat, and better flavors in the mouth, too (not to mention the aroma!). Just less durable, but not *that* much less. I'm not sure if better deals are easily found for 2011/2 teas though, so this strikes me as a depressing thought that newer brilliant puerh are now fundamentally out of my reach. When normal XZH Osanzhai struggle to best a hacked together '07 XZH 8582, then those special wrapper 2010 XZH, like the one Guang got for samples, are probably where the price is at these days. Good luck scraping together the cash! Or even just managing to buy one!

Alright, my last tea out of that little care package, Bangwei33 from Nadacha. In the outset, I'd have to have a disclaimer that I was really not in the mood for this kind of tea, feeling maudlin and jaded for what is a contemplative sort of experience.

I had this similar experience the other day, with a sample of Yiwu tea from '09. It was not the best quality to begin with, but I found that my mood took over my reaction to the tea!! Having a bad argument prior to drinking it def set off my mood for the session. I tried it again a few days later, and my notes were clearly clouded. Nice to see I am not alone!!

SOTD 96 8542 this is only the second pu-erh ive had with easily visible golden flowers. the first was a train wreck easilly ther worst stored pu I've ever had causing instant gag reflex upon tasting, even after three rinses. This tea however comes from a very trusted source yet still has a funky smell making me a little nervous. all doubts are removed after a long rinse this is in the same hemisphere as the other tea smooth and flavorful. I have never had another 8542 but now I feel I have to seek one out. good stuff to me although am partial to traditional stored tea. I could see how someone could find this tea sickening. But to me its just funky Hong Kong basement goodness. Unfortunatly this tea does not appear to be for sale (at least online)

This was harvested from an 800 year old single tree on Dong Ban Shan in Mengku region . It has to be said that this is truly lovely ! Sweet , intensely smooth , very thick , velvety and deep . It has very good endurance and a strong clean qi .

Last edited:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Some 2008 Menghai 7582. It may be the poor relation of the 7542/7532 family, but those bigger leaves seem to have more flavor. A perfect brew today.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
A bit deeper and darker, and more rustic tasting. Having said that, 7532 is probably my favorite pu'er.

My trusty ol' Yieh Sheng today. Funny thing was, after all that plantation Yiwu (excepting the Ding Jia Zhai), my tastebuds went straight like a cruise missile to the plantation flavors in this tea. When one has a tea, and one is used to drinking it for the good qualities, oftentimes one does not pay attention to the mundane or bad qualities. Both Yiwu bricks from BTH have stronger flavors, but this one tastes more pleasantly aged, and the later infusions are much more pleasant (with a honey sweetness) with the '05 Yieh Sheng than with the teas purportedly of the same age or older. The 2005 brick had a thicker soup in my first brewing, stronger aroma and taste, but a bit sour and not durable. If it was cheaper, it's a good daily tea in its own right. The 2001 just doesn't taste as profitably aged as it should for the decade and some age. For instance, the Tai Lian is profitably more mellow than it apparently used to be, even if it doesn't quite have much aged taste.

SotD: 2012 Chawangpu "Zhangjiawan" from Chawangshop. A very solid Yiwu, which I am enjoying right to the end of the sample. Even in my lab, it tastes OK, which is quite the recommendation. :)

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

'06 Taipei. Durable as expected. I've taken to doing ten in the morning, with my breakfast, and ten at night, after dinner. The latter brews are intensely sweet.

GN?, there was a big todo about the HLH '06 LBZ on the teabbs.zjol site. Effects of storage in different places, whether it's actually early spring or rainwater LBZ, etc, etc... Was rather interesting. I think the XZH '06 LBZ is potentially late spring or rainwater on account of long stems and low soup thickness.

Very nice ! VERY EXPENSIVE ! --------------- But - VERY VERY NICE !!! It has greater complexity and a better / nicer mouth feel than the 2011 had at this stage - as far as I can remember - and the 2011 was / is pretty awesome . The qi is strong , clean and very pure .Gives a decent , complex and extremely long lasting huigan .

The first SOTD was Tea Urchin's 2012 ChaRen Mile's Birthday Blend which is 80% GFZ and 20% "secret". The "secret"makes it interesting I guess but I would rather know what the other 20% is. Anyway....the tea is rather good with some good taste and thickness. I'm not sure if this is quite as strong as other GFZ I've had but maybe that's due to the 20%. I didn't detect another flavor or characteristics so I wouldn't say that I would have known this was a blend. I followed this up with a retasting of EoT's NanNuo from last year. While it was lighter in taste than the Birthday Blend it had some similarities - both teas were processed (or not as the case may be) to be very light - almost like a green tea or oolong. The other day I had the XZH 2010 Lao Wu Shan Gu. This tea, while not very aged, was quite different from today's two teas. It is darker in color and has all low notes, compared to the other two which had all high notes. The Lao Wu Shan was also rather light in flavor so I ended up using longer steep times; it had no noticeable qi. It was not a bad tea but not that interesting. That day I followed it up with 2011 XZH DianGu (mentioned by Shah8 above). This tea had a similar processing as the Lao Wu Shan - darker and with deep notes. However it was also somewhat light in flavor really. It also had a bitterness which was different from typical sheng bitterness which can often be avoided or diminished with shorter steep times. I can't say I enjoyed it that much.

I know that David from EoT recently commented that he changed his sheng processing this year. He mentioned that in prior years they heated the cakes to dry them to preserve the aroma (I think). It seems to me the XZH must do something quite different - my guess is longer wilting times, etc. which may lead to more oxidation as well.

Top Bottom