What's new

SOTD- sheng of the day

70's Aged Liao Fu San Cha from Hou De
There are many teas that sell for more and do not taste as good as this. Guang blogged his article in November of 2007, so likely I purchased some then. Creamy and woody.

2009 Douji Red Dadou sample from tea goober. Bright and clean with strong bottom notes. This stuff is pretty nice! Thanks, Goob!

Your welcome! I don't remember how much I sent you, I hope it was enough for a couple of sessions. It took me a few go's at this tea to really realize what it's merits were. It requires a little extra leaf to realize it's potential. I think it's a really good tea for the price. The maocha is very healthy and vibrant, processing is exellent. To me it's worth the extra money for the Douji's (as compared to Menghai) it's just an all around better product. Though I will always love my Menghai tea's I doubt I,ll be stocking up on them as much, having Douji as an alternative.

'02 Hai Lang Hao Mengku Wild Arbor tonight...

proxy.php

So which tong are you laying down from his birth year? My son got 7452.

A good question! For 2010 cakes, we went for tongs of the 2010 Nadacha Mansai, Bangwai, and Manmai (Bada) in the hope that one of them (or, ideally, all of them!) will grow nicely.

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

An outstanding photo - really lovely.

My wife has recently discovered that if she breaks her ban on tea, and has a tiny cup or two in the morning with me, then it helps her morning sickness - I bet it's similarly healing for you, too :)

SotD: the 1995 CNNP so kindly given to us by Keng. This cake was so nice (and well-priced) that I had to buy a tong, which arrived this morning. Frighteningly good.

proxy.php

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

Thank you :blushing: and likewise :thumbup1: congratulations on the little one :thumbup:

Some more 2010 Nadacha "Bulang" punishment today. I don't like the price, but I like the tea. Some fruit, some tobacco, plenty of aggression.

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

The prices? Ouch! Having seen the price list of Nada's new offering's I,m afraid I,m gonna have to pass on them. With the cost of shipping it puts them into the category of "When Pigs Fly" just not in my budget.

The prices? Ouch! Having seen the price list of Nada's new offering's I,m afraid I,m gonna have to pass on them. With the cost of shipping it puts them into the category of "When Pigs Fly" just not in my budget.

The Bulang is fairly brutal compared to last year, for sure. Sadly, it's the nicest, but the price put me off, too.

The three tong that I mentioned (Mansai, Bangwei, and Manmai/Bada) were good value, though, in my opinion. £25 for high-content laoshu tea, being both reliably sourced and produced, is really very decent. I had to ask myself: what else can I get for the same price?

I recognise the fact that (for once!) I am fortunate with regards to shipping, being inside the UK, so maybe that accounts for a big difference.

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

SotD: two cakes generously provided by Keng.

The 2004 Dayi 7532 is potent and woody - cause for celebration for all of us who have bought Dayi recipe-cakes for the past years.

A 200something 6FTM "Jingmai Yesheng" has "Pangxiejiao" on its wrapper, which usually means that the "crab-feet" vines from the trunk of the pu'er tree have been included. However, it looked like 100% pu'er leaf to me. The result, nonetheless, was very decent - woody and sharp. Slightly simple, but aged very nicely. A great example of simple, properly raw shengpu turning into something nice.

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

2005 Changtai Golden Bamboo Mountain.

This is uninspired. The scent of the wet leaves is great, the liquor thick, but besides that it's lacking heart and soul. Almost completely lacking raw strength, it needs to be pushed to reveal a decent character or flavor. This only further cements my belief that I dislike all Changtai tea made in 05 or later.

2005 Changtai Golden Bamboo Mountain.

This is uninspired. The scent of the wet leaves is great, the liquor thick, but besides that it's lacking heart and soul. Almost completely lacking raw strength, it needs to be pushed to reveal a decent character or flavor. This only further cements my belief that I dislike all Changtai tea made in 05 or later.

I bought one of those several months ago. My first impression was, ah...it's O.K. But lately Ive been enjoying it. Now, Ive no plans on buyng another, but Ive no regrets for the money spent either. For my tastes the Chang Tai Menghai Qiao cakes are exellent.

Last edited:
I bought one of those several months ago. My first impression was, ah...it's O.K. But lately Ive been enjoying it. Now, Ive no plans on buyng another, but Ive no regrets for the money spent either. For my tastes the Chang Tai Menghai Qiao cakes are exellent.

Changtai definitely has it's fans, so it's probably me that's missing something. I guess their more recent offerings are just not my style. The few Changtai teas I've had pre-05 have all been quite excellent, however. If all the 05 cakes that I've tried were about 15$ or more cheaper, I'd probably buy up a few of them, but as it stands I just don't see the value in them.

08 Menghai 0622 -

Nice round mouthfeel and a hint of florals on the finish. Brews darker than other recipes. I have not fallen in love with this one but it seems to be improving.

SotYesterday: 2008 Yangpinhao "Ganlu".
SotD: 2008 Yubang "Mengku Qiaomuwang"

Both nice, both a blend of red leaves and properly raw leaves, both kindly provided by Keng. They have, I believe, the backbone to mature into something, given that the majority component in each blend is raw leaf. Simple, sharp, refreshing.

Lucha-otD: 2010 Xinyang Maojian, celebrating my wife's birthday with a tea (one of the shi da mingcha, no less) from her home. You can take the girl out of China...

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
On Monday, my normal tea routine will finally resume. :thumbup1:

Been a looooooooooooooooong time.

SotD: a tiny 2005 sphere of tea, thanks to Keng!

proxy.php

It's about 3cm in diameter, and is made by the "Jinggu Heli" [her-lee] company. Delicious, woody, clean, and it runs a mile.

proxy.php

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

A bit more SotD: it's boiling hot on a Friday afternoon, and I'm writing a paper at home. The birds are singing, the scents of the garden are filling the house. It's time for some refreshing tea.

proxy.php
#

This is the 2009 "Soyi" (apparently short for Shouyixuan) purple-buds cake ["ziya", pronounced "zer-yah"] from China Chadao. It's fresh, fruity, sweet, and absolutely perfect for a hot afternoon. Heartily enjoyable.

proxy.php

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

Top Bottom