What's new

SOTD- sheng of the day

Birfday sheng-

2008 peacock of Menghai.
:thumbup1:

Brewing some up just now

Happy Birfday, have a slice of cake:
proxy.php

loved it, blogged about it, kept it a secret...wanted more than one cake...found out that Nada may not restock for sometime :)sad:). Became wary it was it'll face a price hike :)mad3:), which actually recently happened to me...so I snatched up the last cake, even though my wallet is hurting badly, but my mouth is thanking me.

thick, rich, luscious. It packs a wallop despite being very mature for its age. Gives me hope that my young Bu Lang cakes might turn out like this. Praying the tea gods that he does restock, and more importantly, at the same price!

and if anyone has this cake, and realizes that they hate it, I will gladly take it out of your hands, for a very generous price, of course:001_rolle

Last edited:
loved it, blogged about it, kept it a secret...wanted more than one cake...found out that Nada may not restock for sometime :)sad:). Became wary it was it'll face a price hike :)mad3:), which actually recently happened to me...so I snatched up the last cake, even though my wallet is hurting badly, but my mouth is thanking me.

thick, rich, luscious. It packs a wallop despite being very mature for its age. Gives me hope that my young Bu Lang cakes might turn out like this. Praying the tea gods that he does restock, and more importantly, at the same price!

and if anyone has this cake, and realizes that they hate it, I will gladly take it out of your hands, for a very generous price, of course:001_rolle

I was wondering who got the last cake ...
Talking about price hike, Scott already increased the price of some Hai Lang Hao cakes :sad:. I think this year good quality cakes are going to be expensive. Let hope Nada will bring back some very good cakes from his trip in China.

Yeah, Nada's Bulang was so thick and oily, and could have easily passed for something much older. I have some samples left, but alas...

On an even sadder note, I moved apartments this weekend, and while carefully placing all my tea valuables on a shelf the shelf broke. Gone are my two yixings, (1 nada, 1 houde), 6 jars from my time in Taiwan, and a couple of tea cups, and 2 gaiwans.

It was brutal. I thought about keeping some of the broken pieces of yixing and using them for some water tests, but I didn't even want to have the reminders.

I was wondering who got the last cake ...
Talking about price hike, Scott already increased the price of some Hai Lang Hao cakes :sad:. I think this year good quality cakes are going to be expensive. Let hope Nada will bring back some very good cakes from his trip in China.

To be fair to Scott, their "official" store on Tao Bao raised their prices too, and what they're charging is exactly what Scott is charging too. It would actually be more expensive to buy them from Tao Bao than it would be from Scott! I'm still kicking myself because I wanted to order some of these cakes pre-price hike but now I'm not so sure...

Sorry to hear about your losses Kimble, pouring a cup of tea for your fallen comrades.

I don't mean Scott marked up the price excessively and I think the price he offers is still very good. Just price on any good cake is going up and up:sad:. If a cake is real stuff, I think it's still worth every single penny.

Haha.

Hahaha.

MUAHAHAHAAAHA!!!

--- Thunder, lightning ---

(My tea-table is back in action at home.)

SotD: 2009 Xizihao "Spirit of Jingmai" - good tea, but not really my thing, and certainly not tempting at $100.

SotYesterday: the 1986 Sunsing loose-leaf pu'er that Prof. GV so kindly gave to us during his last visit. We baptised the tea-table in its new setting, using this lovely tea.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

It's great to be back in action.

As I believe Shakespeare* once wrote, "Come get some."

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

*Or was it Duke Nukem?

P.s. Ambrose, I love the recent shot of the Xiaguan #4.

I believe it was the noted American thespian and philosopher Scott Steiner.
proxy.php

More than likely Messir Steiner is the source :lol:!

Enjoying Mrs. Ouch's favorite: 2007 Mengku Mu Ye Chun 002

For whatever reason this session I am getting a kinda peppery finish to it. All and all yummy young sheng :biggrin:!

Haha.

*Or was it Duke Nukem?

P.s. Ambrose, I love the recent shot of the Xiaguan #4.

Now that is a blast from the past - You guys remember Wolfenstein? :biggrin1:

Some of the mini Toucha from Cloudwalker today... Nice and challenging... and I think my favorite age for sheng (calm, complex, yet can still be overbrewed)

I remember Wolfenstein :)

Doom was very good fun when played over a LAN with friends!

I don't officially play computer games any more.

(Unofficially, Dawn of War 2 is probably my favourite computer game of all time, combining my childhood love of playing wargames with Warhammer 40,0000 miniature figurines with an absurdly good strategy game / RPG. The quality is amazing.)

(Unofficially, Dawn of War 2 is probably my favourite computer game of all time, combining my childhood love of playing wargames with Warhammer 40,0000 miniature figurines with an absurdly good strategy game / RPG. The quality is amazing.)

Enjoying a round of Warhammer RPG - with music from Bolt Thrower playing in the background :ihih:?

I really like everything about these cakes. The wrapper being so neatly pleated, the quality of the maocha used, the perfect compression. But the tea itself seems a tad thin and flat. Maybe increasing the qty. of leaf could make an improvement. I was really eager to try this one as it's made from Menghai area tea but the flavors I was expecting are hiding from me. They are there but time may be the missing ingredient in this tea revealing itself. So, into the pu-cabinet it go's. I,ll check in on it in a year or so and see how / if it's progressing.
View attachment 97480

View attachment 97481

View attachment 97484

Last edited:
SotD: 2009 Xizihao "Daxueshan". Good tea - vibrant, cooling, mouthwatering, some citrus. However, at the equivalent of $100/400g, it needs to be much more than "good". This is $60 tea, at best, and so I won't be partaking further.

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

P.s. Goober - nice notes on the Dadou; I just unpacked mine this morning!

SotD: 2009 Xizihao "Daxueshan". Good tea - vibrant, cooling, mouthwatering, some citrus. However, at the equivalent of $100/400g, it needs to be much more than "good". This is $60 tea, at best, and so I won't be partaking further.

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

P.s. Goober - nice notes on the Dadou; I just unpacked mine this morning!

Be sure to let me know your impressions of this cake. Those pleats just impressed the hell out of me, compared to Menghai's wadded up mess with the "anti-fake" labels. Such attention to detail in both the presentation and the processing of the tea.

Top Bottom