What's new

SOTD- sheng of the day

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
There! Feeling much better now. :thumbup:
attachment.php

I love the red speckles in that pot.

Thank you its my one and only favorite sheng pu pot :thumbup1:
At first it frustrated me but now im very fond of it and its abilities.

Today I think im finishing some 2000 fu hai about to start a new one perhaps 07 Xiaguan "FT" #4

ouch

:thumbup:

How long does it take you to go through a cake?

I'm not a good example- I have at least twenty cakes opened, so they can go for years. I have sealed bings that I doubt I'll touch for at least five years.

I think the question you're asking is "how many sessions can you get from a cake?" This is complicated, as it depends on many factors- size of pot, desired strength, overall consumption, etc. I've heard some folks on the little tea forum say they can get 70 sessions per cake, figuring 5g per sitting. Scotto drops a couple of tongs into the jacuzzi.

I'm still in the process of figuring out an exact number for me, but I score pretty low on the Hobbes-Benny scale*. :lol:

*Hobbes figures roughly 30 sessions per cake, allowing a generous 12g per session, including waste. Jack Benny would try to squeeze out 100 sessions. I think I'm somewhere around 9-10 gps, equally roughly 35-40 sessions per cake. A $20 cake (some very nice ones available at that price) would be perhaps fifty cents a day. Expensive designer teas are way less than a cuppa *$, and if you can squeeze 50 sessions out of a young 8582, you may only pay two cents a cup. Even megabuck aged sheng is cheap by wine standards.

Folks- what's your Hobbes-Benny rating?

Last edited:

ouch

Thank you its my one and only favorite sheng pu pot :thumbup1:
At first it frustrated me but now im very fond of it and its abilities.

I have the 220ml pear shaped version. It brews a nice cup. I still slightly prefer the Ben Shan I received from you know who, mostly for it's amazing feel. If you're looking for another pot, I'd recommend it.

I have the 220ml pear shaped version. It brews a nice cup. I still slightly prefer the Ben Shan I received from you know who, mostly for it's amazing feel. If you're looking for another pot, I'd recommend it.

Ahhh man dont enable me, I just started to get this one going :001_rolle
That is a very nice pot! I prefer 100-150 ml maxing out at 150ml for me. Oh man Ive always been a fan of the fang gu oooh and wait what is this new Qing Quan. :blink:

as for my Hobbes-Benny :lol:

10-12 G's in my Xi Shi Bao Lan Zhu Ni 150ml no waste in the pot (I hate a clogged slow filter) "waste" is welcome in my gaiwan. I take 10 -11 G's in the gaiwan

So average of 11 G's gives me about 32 sessions on a 357 cake is this right :huh:

Im about to start a new pot I changed my mind now I want some 07 7532

I love those "wulong'd" teas. I dont care whats been removed or changed. They taste good to me. But then again, I'm not buying them with the intent of aging them for who knows how long. I buy the teas that I like as they are now. If they turn out to be good when they get older, great. If not, oh well.

There! Feeling much better now. :thumbup:
attachment.php

You forgot something, the Peacock Of Menghai. Speaking of which, I just got a couple more of these from Steve and something is different about them, the compression is much lighter. Much easier to get big chunks pryed away from the cake and also easier to seperate it into whole, unbroken leaves. That was my only real gripe about the Menghai cake, the compression was just a wee bit much for my liking. But with these, I defy you to find fault with this tea, can't be done!:thumbup:

08 Xiaguan Nan Zhao round cake 454g

Finally got this one to sing again. Nice bean and mushroom notes with just a hint of florals. Yum.

You forgot something, the Peacock Of Menghai. Speaking of which, I just got a couple more of these from Steve and something is different about them, the compression is much lighter. Much easier to get big chunks pryed away from the cake and also easier to seperate it into whole, unbroken leaves. That was my only real gripe about the Menghai cake, the compression was just a wee bit much for my liking. But with these, I defy you to find fault with this tea, can't be done!:thumbup:

Looks like its about that time I give Steve some thing to pack for me. :biggrin1:

I love those "wulong'd" teas. I dont care whats been removed or changed. They taste good to me. But then again, I'm not buying them with the intent of aging them for who knows how long. I buy the teas that I like as they are now. If they turn out to be good when they get older, great. If not, oh well.

I feel exactly the same way :thumbup1:

ouch

I just got a couple more of these from Steve and something is different about them, the compression is much lighter. Much easier to get big chunks pryed away from the cake and also easier to seperate it into whole, unbroken leaves. That was my only real gripe about the Menghai cake, the compression was just a wee bit much for my liking.

Try Xiaguan. :lol:

Their motto should be "every cake is a tiebing".

tea goober said:
Bud Abbott: Don't you want to marry a pretty girl?
Lou Costello: Nah, I want to marry a plain girl.
BA: Why?
LC: A pretty girl can run away.
BA: But a plain girl can run away, too.
LC: Sure, but who cares?

Last edited:
I'm also concerned. I'm concerned that Hobbes will use some of his ancient Eastern mind control tricks to convince me to go along with his new purchasing theory. :mad3:

Hey, now! You know that I enjoy modern-day Xiaguan and Dayi as much as the next schmuck guy, but I've got enough... and I'm not convinced it'll age well. :)

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

Jay jumped on the Menghai stock-up bandwagon as well, I see.... :001_rolle

Today: 2006 Menghai 8582. This doesn't have as much aged taste to it as the 2006 7542 I had next week, but is still a very nice tea. Very refreshing.

Hmmmmm - I think I've died and gone to heaven ! So smoooooth , thick , rich and oily . Deep , dark plum red in colour , it has a deep and dark aroma and flavour profile - forest earth , dark chocolate with a high cacao content , wild mushrooms and a touch of camphor to me are all present from the start , along with a bitterness which melts quickly into sweetness . Gracefully it fades after many infusions into sweet forest wood , camphor and just a hint of incense wood . Top Stuff , with a lovely chaqi . Fairly expensive , but good value for money and well worth it in my opinion ! :thumbup:

Jay jumped on the Menghai stock-up bandwagon as well, I see.... :001_rolle

Today: 2006 Menghai 8582. This doesn't have as much aged taste to it as the 2006 7542 I had next week, but is still a very nice tea. Very refreshing.

As Scotto remembers what his tea tasted like "next" week...
Sorry, Scotto, could not resist! :lol:

Broke open a sample of 2000 Yong Pin Hao. Nice!!!

Last edited:

ouch

I always suspected that in addition to being dashing, erudite, and brilliant, he could travel through time.

Finally! Proof that he's from another planet! :w00t:

I always suspected that in addition to being dashing, erudite, and brilliant, he could travel through time.

Finally! Proof that he's from another planet! :w00t:

I guess I shouldn't tell you that I traveled 50 years into the future, and the best sheng I had was from Yuan Nian? :tongue_sm

I always wondered what the 8582's would grow up to be. Autumnal and woodsy, crisp, clean and slightly sweet. Still just a trace of bitterness in the cup. Brews up a beautiful amber cup with superb clarity. Not a tea with loads of complexity but rather a simple yet rich and satisfying cup. Very durable, this pic was taken on the fifth infusion and look at how rich and saturated the tea's color is. This tea was gifted to me but I think it was acquired from Nada.
View attachment 89888

Last edited:
Top Bottom