What's new

SOTD- sheng of the day

reached for the 08 Peacock of Menghai yesterday had a great session with it. As you can see I brewed up some strong cups. Woke up today and thought well I didnt finish that pot yesterday so I had a go at it. WOWOW it was so nasty it tasted all mushy to put it in to words. I had a several regretful cups anyway. For some reason this one didnt keep over night for me. :crying:

SotD: 2009 Dayi "Silver Peacock"

proxy.php

It's all a bit normal. Not bad, but not particularly special. I'm chipping away at one cake for office drinking, and won't be replenishing my supply.

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

SotD: 2009 Dayi "Silver Peacock"

It's all a bit normal. Not bad, but not particularly special. I'm chipping away at one cake for office drinking, and won't be replenishing my supply.

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

I have never been a huge Peacock fan, and chipping away is certainly the correct verb.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Yunnan Sourcing "gamma".

I believe this is the Bulang, an area I used to love but has fallen into disfavor. I didn't expect much, but this one was pretty decent. Don't think I'd purchase it, but inoffensive.

The bamboo roast is still definitely present. Some interesting sweetness comes through once the bamboo roast wears off in the brewing. Maybe this one needs to rest a little more to be fully enjoyed :biggrin:!

2008 Dehong Purple Brick from YSLLC

I'm not as enchanted by this one as I once was, though perhaps winter's dryness has something do do with it. Endearingly fruity, but becomes boring quickly. Sort of like Ouch..... (just checking if you are reading :laugh:)

ouch

2008 Dehong Purple Brick from YSLLC

I'm not as enchanted by this one as I once was, though perhaps winter's dryness has something do do with it. Endearingly fruity, but becomes boring quickly. Sort of like Ouch..... (just checking if you are reading :laugh:)

Reading? Why, I'm studying!
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9YNI2PlJLQ&feature=player_embedded[/YOUTUBE]

8582-901.

Been fooling with pour-through/"instant" infusions using my IngenuiTea infuser. Actually, this works pretty well for the first few rough-housing moments of a young menghai sesh.

:thumbup1:

8582-901.

Been fooling with pour-through/"instant" infusions using my IngenuiTea infuser. Actually, this works pretty well for the first few rough-housing moments of a young menghai sesh.

:thumbup1:

I use a similar devise most of the time at work. I find that I can get very good sessions out of almost tea once I understand its characteristics. Allows me to quickly make tea between meetings that seem to never end.

Had some 1970s ZhiYe this morning... If people are curious as to qi, this is probably a good introduction. I've had two sessions and the first cup in, both times, washes over me with a narcotic feeling. Flavor-wise, it's very nice, obviously mellowed, but with still a challenging array of flavors- and an intense mysterious aroma. But the key for me is the qi.

Also, I sampled the Hen Li Chang Bulang - which I must say slightly blew me away. Strong, brews exceptionally dark and oily, and took on a lot of infusions. Highlight is around infusions 5 or 6 when the cooling scent becomes noticeable. - Not sure about the price of admission - but for some reason I don't think any of my cakes will turn out this nicely - if they do then I'll be a very happy man.

'08 Xiaguan FT "Yun Mei" tonight... A greatly appreciated free sample from Steve that does stand out from the other Xiaguan FT teas I've tried. This wasn't on my radar before now, but I will have to think about adding it to my very long 'buy list'.

The Xiaguan Yun Mei has been put aside (I'll finish it in the morning). My wife has taken a strong liking to Nada's early '90s Sheng Tuo and asked me to brew a pot... This made a quiet tuesday night at home seem like a special occasion :thumbup1:

proxy.php

Nice pic there Peter!

Enjoying a mixture of teas that were left over from the process of breaking up cakes into samples. Wow, I should sell this. This has nicely balanced, rounded, taste and mouthfeel. I may get addicted to sampling the leftovers.

ouch

2008 Xiaguan 7653

This is probably best described as an entry level Xiaguan, but I always thought it had the flavors I look for in a sheng. It's hard to overbrew, unlike some of the monsters out there, and needs a goodly amount of leaf.
Very inexpensive, but not quite the value of some of the recent Menghai classic recipes.

I know, I know! This is the one everybody dismissed as too this, too that. But I liked it then and even more now. It does require extra leaf and infusion times to coax the best from it though. Woodsy, malty, dates and spice. As a sheng, it's not very aromatic, nor is it a tea with much complexity. However, I believe if this same tea were being sold as a shu people would be all over it with it's woodsy, malty, dates and spice flavors and aromas. One of the few shengs Ive had that is good after a heavy meal.
View attachment 86849

Last edited:
Top Bottom