What's new

Forum Etiquette

Hello,

I have a question regarding forum etiquette--- when someone promises to send you something and then doesn't, what's the best way to handle it? I am more than willing to just let it go, I just wondered if someone else has had to deal with this and how they handled it.

I would enjoy reading your thoughts.

Thanks.

Someone offered to send some blades to the person who answered a question correctly, and I got it right. He then asked for my address, but then never replied again. Its not that big a deal, really. I have no money involved, I was just really surprised that there was a lack of follow through. I don't want to bash anyone, I am just curious really as to how often this happens and if anyone else has any experiences like this.

Yeah, I know the post you are talking about. Has he been online since then? Maybe he has a good reason (family problems, work, new baby, etc.) to be away.
Someone offered to send some blades to the person who answered a question correctly, and I got it right. He then asked for my address, but then never replied again. Its not that big a deal, really. I have no money involved, I was just really surprised that there was a lack of follow through. I don't want to bash anyone, I am just curious really as to how often this happens and if anyone else has any experiences like this.

Yeah, he has been online since. I sent a PM (per his request) with my address, and then 2 follow-up messages. I've been watching his online status, and he has been here since. Also, when I get a PM, I get a notice in my email with the PM attached to it. I thought maybe he has a good reason, too. I just kind of thought that if he could log on to B&B then he could at least let me know he changed his mind or something. That would be okay.

This is strictly my opinion but if no money was involved I would not pursue this any further. Any number of things may have happened to this other member preventing him from responding. I would file it away and remember for future reference however. Also there are lots of great guys on this forum and there have been thousands of successful transactions so don't let this one instance color your opinion too much. If you PM me your address I'll send you a pack of Red IP's. I really like them and think they are a great blade.

Hey, thanks Eagle. No worries. You are very kind. I got some of those red IPs in a sampler pack, and I like them, too. I'll let someone else try them who hasn't yet.

I am with you--- I shall pursue no further. So many on here seem so great. Have a good day.

This is strictly my opinion but if no money was involved I would not pursue this any further. Any number of things may have happened to this other member preventing him from responding. I would file it away and remember for future reference however. Also there are lots of great guys on this forum and there have been thousands of successful transactions so don't let this one instance color your opinion too much. If you PM me your address I'll send you a pack of Red IP's. I really like them and think they are a great blade.

Agreed. It's only shaving. Roll on.

Same deal here--send me an address and I will send along some Dorcos and Derbys.

This has no relevance to this particular thread but is slightly connected. I PIF's some blades, shipped them off. Got a response that the kid never got them? OK, sorry about that. So I sent some more off....no response. I hoped at first that he had the worst case of explosive diareaha ever and I thought.....:) Screw it! He hasnt been on here in a long time, never will, and is probably back the M3:)

I agree with you. The same incident happened to me as well. I posted a WTB thread and two people PMed me. I rejected one of the offers in the hope that the second gentleman would respond me back. I agreed to the price he offered since it was reasonable. He never replied back. I sent a follow up message but no response. I did not really expect anything but no one should be kept in suspense.

On another occasion, I offered two PIFs to two members. One of them got PIF but second one was sent back to me and I took it back to the post office and they handle it again. I contact the member and told him what happened and he should be patient. I guess it is a gentlemanly manner to communicate and let the other side know of the situation.

Just my opinion, but money involved or not - the honourable thing to do is fulfill your obligations. I guess I was raised in a different time, an/or in a different place - my word is my bond.

My mother had heart surgery and a new knee all in the past two months. I managed to get my job done, my family cared for, and my financial obligations all done - I don't expect or want either sympathy or congratulations.

It is also unforgivable to receive something and not acknowlege it - money or no.

Harsh, but very much my army philosophy.

Just my opinion, but money involved or not - the honourable thing to do is fulfill your obligations. I guess I was raised in a different time, an/or in a different place - my word is my bond.

My mother had heart surgery and a new knee all in the past two months. I managed to get my job done, my family cared for, and my financial obligations all done - I don't expect or want either sympathy or congratulations.

It is also unforgivable to receive something and not acknowlege it - money or no.

Harsh, but very much my army philosophy.

+1

I completely agree. I don't care how inexpensive the item or slight the gesture, if you say you're going to do something, you should do it. Period. If for some reason you can't do it, and you are asked about it, you should give a response. I don't understand how someone could publicly say they will do something and just not do it, with no explanation given. It baffles me.

It's the same thing with people who receive an item. If you receive an item from a member, you should be courteous enough to acknowledge the receipt. It's not that difficult to take 1 minute to log in and say, "Thanks for the X. It arrived safely. Nice doing business with you." If someone cared enough to package your item and follow through with shipment, despite busy schedules and long lines at the post office, you can give them a simple note.

It shouldn't sour your view of the entire forum but I would certainly sour on that member.

My view of the forum is certainly not soured. I will "roll on", but will be weary of that member. Thanks for all of the replies, and I look forward to many positive interactions in the future. Have a good Friday, Everyone.

+1

I completely agree. I don't care how inexpensive the item or slight the gesture, if you say you're going to do something, you should do it. Period. If for some reason you can't do it, and you are asked about it, you should give a response. I don't understand how someone could publicly say they will do something and just not do it, with no explanation given. It baffles me.

It's the same thing with people who receive an item. If you receive an item from a member, you should be courteous enough to acknowledge the receipt. It's not that difficult to take 1 minute to log in and say, "Thanks for the X. It arrived safely. Nice doing business with you." If someone cared enough to package your item and follow through with shipment, despite busy schedules and long lines at the post office, you can give them a simple note.

It shouldn't sour your view of the entire forum but I would certainly sour on that member.

Right at the point.

Top Bottom