What's new

Pipe Smoking: Flake tobacco

As was requested, I'll throw out a few tips on smoking flake tobacco in a pipe.

There are two main ways of prepping your flake tobacco. Smoking flake tobacco isnt too much different from smoking regular tobacco depending on how you prep it. However, I usually have to relight flake tobacco a few times while smoking it, it is much more difficult to get a consistent pack than with the shredded tobacco that is usually sold in bulk.

Preparation technique number 1: with this technique you end up with a product that is fairly similar to the regular shredded tobacco.

Step one: Lay down a sheet of paper on a countertop, this will be used to catch errant pieces of tobacco, so you don't waste as much and clean up goes easier. (not necessary, but I don't like wasting my flake tobacco)

Two: Get a flake of your tobacco, you may need to break it in half depending on the size (you will need to do this technique once to see if you can do a whole flake)

Three: Put the heel of your other hand (should be empty) on the flake of tobacco

Four: start grinding the flake like you are using a mortar and pestle. You are looking to get a consistency similar to regular cut tobacco. This is called, "Rubbing Out" all jokes aside, it is much easier for me to get a consistent smoke than technique number two.

Five: once you have enough that you are spilling off the side of your hand, dump the loose pieces in your pipe bowl, don't pack yet. You shouldnt have too much in the bowl yet.

Six: continue the process until your bowl is about half full, pack the bowl as usual. Do not over pack, it's easy especially if you grind your flake finely. When I'm testing for draw I almost always suck a few small pieces of tobacco into my mouth. It's normal, you are making some of the tobacco very fine with the grinding.

Seven: continue the process until you have a full bowl that is properly packed.

Eight: If you used a sheet of paper under your hands while grinding you can now pour the bits that landed there into the bowl and pack them down.

Nine: perform your charring light and tamp the tobacco back down.

Ten: Relight and enjoy. Like I said, I usually have to relight a few times because the density of the tobacco is less consistent in the bowl than the regular cut stuff.

Technique 2 in next post

Here is the second technique for smoking a flake tobacco.

Step one: Grab a flake of the tobacco you want to smoke.

Step Two: Estimate the depth of the pipe bowl you are about to use

Step Three: Use that estimation on your flake. Put your thumb and forefinger together with flake in between at the approximate depth you think your bowl is at.

Step Four: Break the flake at your thumb and forefinger.

Step Five: Continue doing the same thing until the flake is broken into many sections that are all about the same length.

Step Six: Cluster everything up, and put into bowl. The packing in this scenario is horizontal rather than vertical in the bowl. You need to have the right density, so add or subtract tobacco as necessary to get proper draw.

Step Seven: Perform Charring light, tamp, and then relight.

Step Eight: Enjoy

I dislike this technique because I find it very difficult to get a consistent smoke. However, I know some people like it, because they keep the tobacco in its original compressed state.

If you want to give flakes a try I recommend two varieties (the only two I own :001_smile)

Number one is Peterson's Irish Flake. it comes in a small brass colored tin with an ugly redish orange label. It is a really nice smoke. Smooth and rich. It does, however, contain more nicotine than any other tobacco I've ever smoked. I get a buzz off of it every time I smoke it. I only ever use one flake because I can't handle the second one, even though my pipes all take two flakes to fill.

The second flake I recommend is Plantas Black Vanilla Flake. This one leaves a nice room note behind, and unlike most vanilla tobaccos, does not taste like candy. It is a very nice Cavendish with a slight vanilla scent. Definitely give it a try.

Good stuff. I even rub out flakes and use the Frank packing method, but that's only for slow smokers. :)

Do you read ASP or post on any web pipe groups? I was on pipes.org for a while, but now I lurk on ASP a good bit.

Regards,
Jeff

Good stuff. I even rub out flakes and use the Frank packing method, but that's only for slow smokers. :)

Do you read ASP or post on any web pipe groups? I was on pipes.org for a while, but now I lurk on ASP a good bit.

Regards,
Jeff

No, the only pipe forums I've found were old and pretty dead. I lost interest in that pretty quickly. I much prefer going to my pipe shop and shooting the breeze with the guys there. I have an awesome pipe shop (tobacco not glass) not too far away from me. And they give me a decent military discount, which keeps me coming back for more :)

Good advice.
I usually do technique #1.
I sometimes just tear it into thin strips without rubbing it all the way out, which makes for a slow smoke. I have also tried cutting across the flake and making little squares, and that wasn't such a good idea (though I know people who like doing that).
I haven't had any flake for a long time. I like Bengal Slices, and I used to get Navy Flake of one brand or another once in a while. Fun stuff.

If you like to experiment, you can place flake tobacco in a blender and pulse it until it is of the consistency you want. Works well, and you get to play with the wife's kitchen gadgets.:biggrin:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I stopped, and divested myself of nearly all of my once considerable holdings, but I still have a some stragglers. Here are a few-

attachment.php

attachment.php

Nice thread, and a big +1 on Ouch's stash - veh nice.

I personally do the "rip and rub" method on flakes. I find it easier to gauge how strong i want my smoke to be. I hardly ever use the roll and stuff method unless i'm out and want to smoke on the go, and in those kind of situations i'll normally have some kind of ready rubbed on me so laziness/convenience takes over.

I'm actually finding i'm smoking flakes more than RR tobacco at the moment as i prefer longer smokes as the nights draw in - University Flake (a long time staple of mine) for a lighter, clean tobacco taste - great with whiskey, lager or water, or Irish Flake for a heavier smoke - great with a glass of wine, ale or coffee.

IMHO, and YMMV greatly, the only truly aromatic flake i have ever liked is good old Mac Baren's Vanilla. Worth it for the room note alone, and it doesn't burn too hot or wet like the RR does.

Top Bottom