What's new

What color belt?

one in cordovan to match my shoes. My favorite is cordovan with a dark blue suit.

Cordovan isn't a color. I know... I know... everyone says it is, but it isn't. It just so happens that burgundy colors are what cordovan leather is usually dyed so the mistake is a common one.

Cor·do·van /ˈkɔrdəvən/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[kawr-duh-vuhn] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun 1. a native or inhabitant of Córdoba, Spain.
2. (lowercase) a soft, smooth leather originally made at Córdoba of goatskin but later made also of split horsehide, pigskin, etc.
–adjective 3. of Córdoba, Spain.
4. (lowercase) designating or made of cordovan.

Socks MUST always be darker than trousers.

I agree with your other two points, but I think you can have some leeway with socks. I say it's ok to match socks to shirts or ties if you prefer. Be a bit fun with it unless it is a very formal event.

My unsolicited opinion. Value - priceless, really.

M

modern man

Get one of the belts with a swiveling buckle, one side is brown and the other is black. One is my primary belt and it's great, very versatile.

Bingo.

I have one myself, Dockers makes it.

But if you are going to mostly have Jeans on go with the black.

Cordovan isn't a color. I know... I know... everyone says it is, but it isn't. It just so happens that burgundy colors are what cordovan leather is usually dyed so the mistake is a common one.

Cor·do·van /ˈkɔrdəvən/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[kawr-duh-vuhn] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
2. (lowercase) a soft, smooth leather originally made at Córdoba of goatskin but later made also of split horsehide, pigskin, etc.

Wikipedia disagrees. The term can refer both to the specific type of leather, or to the burgundy color.

OldSaw

The wife's investment

I agree with your other two points, but I think you can have some leeway with socks. I say it's ok to match socks to shirts or ties if you prefer. Be a bit fun with it unless it is a very formal event.

Thanks for pointing that out. I used to refer to it as burgundy but after being corrected by several people that are more fashion conscious than I am, I assimilated.

I concede that it has become accepted nomenclature to refer to the color as 'cordovan'. I maintain it is incorrect.

Plus I'm really grumpy today.

+1 to the belt matching the shoes.

Favorite WKRP in Cincinnati line:

"Can Del Murdoch, personable owner of Del's Stereo and Sound set me up with the exact stereo system I need? Well, let's take a look at you. Busy executive, on the go, drive your own personal luxury car. Your shoes match your belt, but there's a hole in your life..."

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

I start everything off from the shoes.

Pick a shoe -> Socks a shade or two lighter -> Pants that match (no black pants + brown shoes! thats the biggest one) -> belt that is identical to shoes as possible, etc.

But you can reduce that to simply always match your belt with your shoes; depending on your outfit and what you're carrying, your other leathers should all match, and again, it should all be based off the shoes.

I also agree with it being OK to have your socks lighter than your pants, but only in the cases of wearing (non-black) dark pants. Dark blue pin-striped pants look excellent with a pair of blue socks that are patterned and a shade lighter. As long as the colors compliment rather than contrast, you'll look good.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
You just try wearing mauve socks with a pinstripe suit where I work!!

Too much Jeeves, not enough Wooster!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRbBE_DlIww&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Nah, Black with formal attire. Burgundy or Chestnut with jeans, black is too serious and business like for jeans.

I have to agree with this. When I see someone wearing a black belt with his blue jeans it looks odd and I can't help but wonder if that is the only belt he owns or he simply doesn't care.

are you fishing for a good *** whipping with a leather belt, if so pm me, I'll be happy to lash you 100 times with my fav leather belt, and then politely ask you if you've had enough :)

That sounds almost kinky... but I won't go there :shocked:

Originally Posted by blades

I was always told that with a suit, socks should coordinate with one's tie, not one's pants. Not that you'd wear bright red socks with a red tie, of course, but they should have a design similar to the tie's with some red IN it.

Doesn't preclude them being darker than your pants, but I think being well-dressed is a matter of little details like that, and good quality things.

NANP™

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I was always told that with a suit, socks should coordinate with one's tie, not one's pants. Not that you'd wear bright red socks with a red tie, of course, but they should have a design similar to the tie's with some red IN it.

Doesn't preclude them being darker than your pants, but I think being well-dressed is a matter of little details like that, and good quality things.

NANP™

Some fashion savvy guys might be able to pull that off. I'll stick with socks matching pants.

Colour of shoes MUST always match belt.
Don't mix the colour of the bling bling, dont mix gold with silver, i.e. silver belt buckle, silver watch, etc..

This is spot on. You can wear brown appropriately, but if you HAVE to choose just one way to go: Black shoes and black belt go with everything. Sure, some apparel looks great with brown shoes/brown belt; but they would be just as acceptable with black belt/black shoes--the opposite is not necessarily true.

Top Bottom