What's new

Jos. A Bank Suits

Right now, Jos. A Bank has a terrific sale going on. I don't know anything about their suits and I'm wanting to know if this sale is worth hitting and picking up a few suits.

Thanks!

They seem to be decent. I don't have any of their suits, but I've got a navy blazer that I like very much, and a pair of grey trousers. Both seem to be well-constructed and have some nice details. I didn't look too closely at the suits when I was there, but it seemed the fabric could have been better on some of them; they're always on sale, though, so the prices are great.

Salesmen are pretty pushy, though. I went in only wanting to buy the blazer, ended up with the trou, a shirt, and a tie. I made him put back the other two shirts and ties and the pair of shoes he wanted to sell me, though.

I get most of my suits from Jos A Banks. There are a couple of things to note.

First, they have ranges of suits that very in quality pretty drastically. Their Executive Series is a basic suit like you'd find in Macy's or Men's Wearhouse. I have a couple. They are the best constructed suits but they hold up reasonably well. I'd pull the trigger on these if they are under $225. The next step up is their Signature Series. Personally, I think these are very well made and can be had for a reasonable price given the right sale. Right now I think they are $318 and I would definitely get these if they are any price under $400. Really a good value. Finally, they have their Signature Gold suits. I don't own one because I don't wear suits as much as I used to (everybody's going away from them, even the bank) but I've tried them on and they are very very nice. They usually don't go on sale as often as the other series and getting one for the $398 they are listed for now is a very good deal.

The other thing to note is that "sale" at Jos A. Banks doesn't really mean the same thing as most place. They have some degree of sale on their suits about 70% of the time. That may be as little as 10% to 20% off or it could be a steal. The sale right now is one of their better ones and I don't think you could go wrong pulling the trigger on a suit or two.

Let me caution you on this though, while their slacks and shirts are nice too, they are way over priced and you can find better values elsewhere. I used to shop almost exclusively at Jos A Banks but now I only buy suits and ties.

Let me caution you on this though, while their slacks and shirts are nice too, they are way over priced and you can find better values elsewhere. I used to shop almost exclusively at Jos A Banks but now I only buy suits and ties.

Again, depends on the sale you find. I've bought their upper-line shirts for about $20 apiece, I think. You have to be a bit careful with the "buy one, get one free, and a third at half price" types of sales, as the shirts all have to be from the same exact line or the discounts don't kick in as hard. The sales help is always very friendly to me, and helps me match my choice to the sales.

They also have some sort of Corporate club.

They are decent for the price. I mainly use them when I travel. They do have nice details for the price such as buttons for braces and pant lining.

You can certainly find some great prices at Jos A. Bank suits...last year I picked up a navy pinstripe suit that retailed for $499 for a whopping $49.99! Deal of the century. Quality is decent, alterations from a good tailor a must.

I've been buying their suits for a very long time, and I agree with all of the above comments. If you're not looking for the very highest quality at the very highest price, you'll be happy (especially if you get a good sale price).

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I'm not too familiar with the brand, but I seem to recall a few "meh-ish" remarks about it here and there ... adequate but that's all, sort of thing. I guess it's a question of how much you want to spend, and how stylins you want to be.

Have you ever tried their stuff before? Each brand will have its own styling and fit, and not all will suit whatever body type you have. My own preference (for me) would be to haunt STP and wait for an Isaia suit I like and then have it tailored to fit. That is hard to do if you don't feel comfortable enough in knowing your 'size' to order over the internet, and if you don't know what the Isaia styling would be like on you.

The sales can be great, if you can take the non-stop emails/mail they send out. The quality seems to be fairly good for their suits. I find their cuts and quality to be significantly better than Men's Wearhouse, for not that much more.

After reading this thread, I subscribed to their e-mailer. I just got a notice that they are having a "$199" sale. This includes $199 for all executive suits, and $99 for your second executive.

It also looks like they are having a "lose your job, get your money back" guarantee. A cursory look shows that if you lose your job between April 16-July first, they will refund the cost of the suit. Looks like you still keep the suit.

I think I might pull the trigger on this one. I need a couple suits.

Top Bottom