What's new

Newbie with some questions

Hi, I recently started using an old Wilkinson sword safety razor (it's metal with a head that pivots on the shorter edge of the head and has a plastic catch release) and got some cheap blades (these http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=9562).
I'm basically sick of spending £5 for 4 wilkinson sword quattro blades and getting 2 or 3 shaves per blade, and cutting my neck a lot, and want to get some better DE kit.

I've found it difficult to shave my neck and chin line with the DE and find it pulls a bit and I get spots of blood on my neck still, but I guess it's the blades.
I've got a shave brush and this soap which I find OK, but it does take a while to make good lather.
So I just need better blades and possibly a better razor. From what I've read, this seems to be popular?

This may seem like a daft question, but how do you guys remember which side of the razor you have used and which you haven't? Or do you just use both sides 'till it feels blunt?

Welcome to B&B!

Be patient, with practice lather will come more easily. However, lather and pre-shave technique could be part of your problems as well. Those with far more experience than I will queue in with this information. However, if you haven't already done so, watch the mantic wet shaving videos on youtube.

Many people on here suggest the Merkur HD as a starting razor. I can't comment on that, your current razor, or your blades as I haven't used any of those brands (not yet at least).

In regards to keeping track of which blade side.... many if not most of us routinely turn the blade over. I will complete a stroke, flip the blade, complete a stroke on the other edge and then rinse... Both sides end up dull at pretty much the same time. When you have been using a brand/style of blades long enough you may find that you typically only get X shaves out of that blade type. After X shaves, many board members then automatically replace the blade before the next shave without waiting to see if it is dull or not. It is probably much safer to do this as you are changing the blade with dry, clean, and not slippery hands. However, as in all things in this hobby, YMMV (the standard disclaimer of "your mileage may very")

Welcome to the show. That is good advise up there. Get your prep and lather right, and the rest gets easier. Try different blades untill you get one that works well for you. As for the merkur can not say, I do not use them. I use vintage gillette's or Gem SE. Also use a straight now and then.

Happy hunting

Fuzzy

I've watched the mantic videos a week or so ago and they were very helpful, I didn't realise that I wasn't spending enough time working the soap into lather and I was previously using really rubbish lather with my quattro and generating the lather on the soap. :001_rolle

The sample packs look great, I might pick up those before I get a razor.

Hi, I recently started using an old Wilkinson sword safety razor (it's metal with a head that pivots on the shorter edge of the head and has a plastic catch release) and got some cheap blades (these http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=9562).
I'm basically sick of spending £5 for 4 wilkinson sword quattro blades and getting 2 or 3 shaves per blade, and cutting my neck a lot, and want to get some better DE kit.

I've found it difficult to shave my neck and chin line with the DE and find it pulls a bit and I get spots of blood on my neck still, but I guess it's the blades.
I've got a shave brush and this soap which I find OK, but it does take a while to make good lather.
So I just need better blades and possibly a better razor. From what I've read, this seems to be popular?

This may seem like a daft question, but how do you guys remember which side of the razor you have used and which you haven't? Or do you just use both sides 'till it feels blunt?

Your comments indicate you might be from the UK. The Laser blades are rubbish. As is the Wilkinson soap. Pop into ASDA (or Tesco) and get either a Palmolive stick or tube of cream (74p from ASDA) and a pack of Personna blades. They also have decent £3.75ish brushes. You can get more expensive stuff later. When you get addicted, google Conn aught shaving - without the space, is a good supplier of shaving materials. Merkur HD is a great razor. Not the closest, but one you may still want to use after you have caught RAD and bought all the others ;-)

BTW not sure I follow your description of the razor, but if it is the fixed metal head with black plastic handle that screws into the head, then it is close to useless. The all black plastic Wilkinson DE razor (from Boots) is much better - and much under-rated.

Welcome to B&B, here is a thread with a lot of tutorials to get you started, also as know watch Mantic's video's and I also think better blades would help considerably there is a reason discount blades don't get much respect around here

Your comments indicate you might be from the UK. The Laser blades are rubbish. As is the Wilkinson soap. Pop into ASDA (or Tesco) and get either a Palmolive stick or tube of cream (74p from ASDA) and a pack of Personna blades. They also have decent £3.75ish brushes. You can get more expensive stuff later. When you get addicted, google Conn aught shaving - without the space, is a good supplier of shaving materials. Merkur HD is a great razor. Not the closest, but one you may still want to use after you have caught RAD and bought all the others ;-)

BTW not sure I follow your description of the razor, but if it is the fixed metal head with black plastic handle that screws into the head, then it is close to useless. The all black plastic Wilkinson DE razor (from Boots) is much better - and much under-rated.

I'll take a look in Tesco, but in Boots I noticed all they sell are their own blades and Wilkinson sword, that's it. (well, a wall of multi blades :p)

The razor is quite old and is a grey handle with a grey plastic neck and metal head. The head is opened by pushing a button on the neck, and the head pops up and swings on the hinge.

This might not relate to you but I had a friend getting bad results on his neck. As Mantic demonstrates, while shaving your neck, stretch or stare at the ceiling- you know what I mean:) and this tightens the skin to result in less pulling and cuts. My friend didnt have rolls of skin but his skin was thin and very sensitive around the neck area.

I'll take a look in Tesco, but in Boots I noticed all they sell are their own blades and Wilkinson sword, that's it. (well, a wall of multi blades :p)

The razor is quite old and is a grey handle with a grey plastic neck and metal head. The head is opened by pushing a button on the neck, and the head pops up and swings on the hinge.

Don't know the razor, so could be good or bad. But the laser blades would put anybody off DE shaving.

I started with the Wilkinson Sword black plastic DE razor from Boots (not the metal head one with black handle). Cost a few pounds as I recall and came with 5 Wilkinson Sword blades - decent enough. Watch the Mantic shaving videos, as others have said. If you are coming straight from cartridge shaving then the most important thing is not to press - and don't expect instant BBS. We are enthusiasts here, so all buy much more (quality and quantity) than is needed to do the job; and tend to magnify small differences made by different soaps and razors. The big difference, is moving away from canned goo (foam) and cartridge/disposable razors....... Good luck.

Welcome to B&B. I can recommend the Merkur HD since it is the only razor I've kept besides the Merkur Barber Pole. It's in middle of the road when comes to aggressiveness. As far as blades go, like someone else has mentioned the sampler pack is the best way to find out which one gives you the best results. http://westcoastshaving.com/

Welcome! Be very careful with the head angle and applying NO pressure to the razor head while shaving the neck...very important. Also, stretch the skin with the other hand while making a pass so the blades doesn't catch the skin...remember, no pressure on the razor.

I don't think any of us count how many times we use one edge and the other...chance alone will even out how many times you use each edge.

Top Bottom