What's new

Those Amazing Czechs

Several years ago, I was privileged enough to be part of a hockey team that got to tour around Europe playing hockey, and drinking vast quantities of beer. As a result of this fantastic voyage, I discovered that the world's finest brews are not to be found Germany, or even Belgium for that matter. My favourite beers in the world come from the Czech Republic. That's right, the land that invented the pilsner. Recently, my folks returned to Europe and brought me back some of my old favourites, which is what has inspired me to post this thread.

While Pilsner Urquell is perhaps the most famous of the Czech beers, and good in its own rights, there are three others that really stood out for me.

First up was Budweiser Budvar. It can sometimes be found locally under the name Czechvar (the result of a legal battle between them and Anheuser Busch, which Anheuser Busch won despite the Czech brand being about 100 years older, and the recipe much older yet). Budvar is an outstanding crisp, yet flavourful beer.
proxy.php
proxy.php

Next up was another fabulous beer of the lighter variety. This one was called Gambrinus, and I have not seen it anywhere locally. Again, it is a very flavourful beer that is pleasantly bitter with a crisp finish. What makes this beer outstanding is that is is made with the famous soft water found around the town of Plzen (hence pilsner), which seems to lend itself perfectly to outstanding beer.
proxy.php
proxy.php

Lastly, I'll add a dark beer into the mix. Kozel is a brand famous throughout the Czech republic thanks mostly in part to its dark beer. They offer other varieties, but this one was my favourite. Again, I have not seen this stuff anywhere locally. The Kozel was a very dark beer with chocolate and coffee notes. It is somewhat reminiscent of Guinness, but not nearly as heavy.
proxy.php
proxy.php

This is not nearly an exhaustive list, as pretty much every town we visited had a brewery that produced fantastic beer (Staropramen, Starobrno, etc.). These were just three of the standouts that I remembered. Anyways, that's about enough of me blabbering on. Has anyone else out there had the pleasure of experiencing these, or other Czech delights? If so, perhaps someone slightly more versed in the terminology of beer could provide a better explanation of them.

How dare you put the Goat 3rd!!!

Did you try a 1/2 & 1/2? (Svetlytmavy if I remember correctly)

Heaven. I don't even really drink beer.

It may be time to go back to Prague...

I probably should have mentioned that Kozel is goat. Velkopopovicky Kozel translates to the Greater Popovicky goat.

Sorry about that.

I discovered that the world's finest brews are not to be found Germany, or even Belgium for that matter. My favourite beers in the world come from the Czech Republic.

This is a YMMV thing. Yes, the Czechs have some fine brews, especially their Pilsener type beers, they are worldclass lagers and problably the best in the world. The strong smell of a good quality hop when I open a bottle of Pilsener, always brings me back memories of Prague. Believe it or not, Prague was the place where years ago, I got really drunk for the first time in my life.

However, when it comes to viarity, the Belgians win by far. There really is no country in the world that offers you such a viarity of styles. Also, about 90% of these beers are still produced by monks or small private breweries and they only use natural ingredients. So, no 'bottled goo' from large breweries ('beer' factories) like Heineken, Inbev or any other maker.

In my opinion, when it comes to lagers Germany and the Czech Republic make the finest. However, if you are looking for something really special, Belgian ales are the way to go.

One final note for our North-American members; don't underestimate your own beers! Last week a had a 'Anchor Porter' from Anchor Brewing, a San Francisco based brewery and it was really amazing and highly recommended. link --> http://www.anchorbrewing.com/beers/anchorporter.htm

However, when it comes to viarity, the Belgians win by far. There really is no country in the world that offers you such a viarity of styles.

While Belgian beers are certainly my favorite and always look foward to kicking back a 750mL bottle with a good friend or two, I hardly think they have the most styles. To be honest, most Belgian beers don't really adhere to limits of style. Sure there are styles like tripel, gueuze, witt, or dubbel, but the overwhelming majority of the beers from Belgium have no good style attachments.

I think America has the greatest number of styles available. We make everything! German-style lagers, Czech-style lagers, Belgian-style ales, English-style Ales, and a slew of American Originals like: American IPA, American Brown Ale, American Macro Lager, Cream Ale, American Stout, American Pale Ale, American Wild ale, American Porter, Rye ale, Steam beer and American craft lagers. Our brewing "history" has involved the slow degradation of our major beer into the macro lager it is today and few American craft beer fanatics are devoted to only a few styles. We don't have a deep brewing history like a lot of European countries, so honestly we have been gathering every kind of beer under the sun for all of us flavorful beer deprived Americans to enjoy and seperate of from the likes of Bud and Coors.

From what a gather, the Netherlands also seems to be very willing to make a lot of different beers from all over. So maybe you guys are second!

Don't get me wrong, I think the American version of Belgian beer is no match for a Trappist beer. But I do think in terms of variety, Americans have just about everyone beat.

Trust me, Kozel was not placed third because it is my third favourite beer. I loved them all, and which one I prefer really depends on my mood. I was actually privellaged enough to play in the arena in Velké Popovice which is very close to the brewery. The smell there was enough to make your mouth water. And no, I was not able to try a 1/2 & 1/2. I will have to look this one up (I definitely plan on returning to Prague).

And yes, I totally agree that this is a YMMV thing, but for a lager and pilsner lover like myself, I was in heaven.

Oh, and I almost forgot the best part about Czech beers. Assuming you are not right in the touristy parts of Prague, they generally go for roughly $1 a pint. Unbeatable really.

While Belgian beers are certainly my favorite and always look foward to kicking back a 750mL bottle with a good friend or two, I hardly think they have the most styles. To be honest, most Belgian beers don't really adhere to limits of style. Sure there are styles like tripel, gueuze, witt, or dubbel, but the overwhelming majority of the beers from Belgium have no good style attachments.

I think America has the greatest number of styles available. We make everything! German-style lagers, Czech-style lagers, Belgian-style ales, English-style Ales, and a slew of American Originals like: American IPA, American Brown Ale, American Macro Lager, Cream Ale, American Stout, American Pale Ale, American Wild ale, American Porter, Rye ale, Steam beer and American craft lagers. Our brewing "history" has involved the slow degradation of our major beer into the macro lager it is today and few American craft beer fanatics are devoted to only a few styles. We don't have a deep brewing history like a lot of European countries, so honestly we have been gathering every kind of beer under the sun for all of us flavorful beer deprived Americans to enjoy and seperate of from the likes of Bud and Coors.

From what a gather, the Netherlands also seems to be very willing to make a lot of different beers from all over. So maybe you guys are second!

Don't get me wrong, I think the American version of Belgian beer is no match for a Trappist beer. But I do think in terms of variety, Americans have just about everyone beat.

Ahem! American Strong Ale. You forgot it! :biggrin: A prime example would be Arrogant Bastard Ale by Stone!

One final note for our North-American members; don't underestimate your own beers! Last week a had a 'Anchor Porter' from Anchor Brewing, a San Francisco based brewery and it was really amazing and highly recommended. link --> http://www.anchorbrewing.com/beers/anchorporter.htm

I don't even drink beer but I have to give this a try. It sounds great!

"All this combines to produce a rich and intense flavor with subtle notes of chocolate, toffee, and coffee. "

Assuming you are not right in the touristy parts of Prague, they generally go for roughly $1 a pint. Unbeatable really.

When I was in Prague for the first time in the late 90's a pint was about 1,50 Dutch Guilden. Consider that the exchange rate for the euro was 2.20 when it was introduced, that beer costed me 0,68 euro cents back then. That's not even one US Dollar :w00t:

If you stay out of the tourist areas, the price continues to drop. I think Lev was going for less than $0.50 (USD) in the stores.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Nice reviews, Giant.

Now I have another goat to try besides Ayinger Celebrator.

I was in Prague in May. I had stopped drinking draught lager of any type in Irish and Northern Irish bars because it was mostly awful, and at best just about drinkable.

But I could not believe just how good lager/pilsner could taste till I got to Prague. The Urquell, Staropromen etc are all excellent. And the Czechs know how to serve the stuff, right temperature, just the right sparkle, big chunky chilled mugs, oh yes!:w00t:

My faith in cold beer has been restored.

It was about one pound sterling for a half litre and I loved it all. Just the thing to wash down all the ghoulash, schnitzel, pork and dumplings.

Go to Prague and drink lots of beer, please!!!! Go to Medvidku and try the beer ice-cream (or anything else on their menu).

Top Bottom